Red Sea reefer failure

glad43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I am part of the statistic. My 350 failed on me today on the front right seem

I don’t know what to do. I will call them tomorrow. I did nothing wrong. 6 year old tank well cared for. All my coral will be dead.

It’s a bad product. What do we do?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had custom made 200 gal tank for about 8 years and disassembled it because I wanted to downgrade. I do feel that fish tanks should last 10 years or longer.
I made my mind-my next tank will not be Red Sea, there's lot's of other brands there and not so many reports about failures.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have water, totes, garbage cans ?
where are you at rt now with coral, fish,water situation?
@F i s h y @Lost in the Sauce @tbrown
just in case , I have to step away for a few.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my coral will be dead.

Woah it's Way too early to be giving up.

My 180 had a catastrophic failure last year and I saved north of 90%. This does not mean everything needs to die.

What do you have that you can set up temporarily? Like fish guy mentioned above, Anything will work. Totes, bruit trash can, hell I would throw all of my fish and coral in my bathtub with saltwater before I gave up on them..

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May i please add this thread to my seam break tracking

It's to put pressure on red sea, not intended to focus on the bad part

* if not I understand. Either way, we can pre transfer all you stuff to one big tote from home depot

It won't kill your coral

What may need rehomed temporarily would be several big fish if any, but not the coral

We can transfer 1/3 of your live rock into a tote and it'll carry all your corals once we adjust the lighting and hang it over the tote, in a special skip cycle takedown order

Can you post a pic of the seam

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use another tote to maybe carry the rest of the rock and coral and a couple fish, split up the load until far less water volume as an emergency setup

OP
OP
glad43

glad43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have water, totes, garbage cans ?
where are you at rt now with coral, fish,water situation?
@F i s h y @Lost in the Sauce @tbrown
just in case , I have to step away for a few.
The seem opened about four inches from the top so I have water. I used cabinet braces to hold the tank together for now. What will Red Sea say.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad it wasn't bottom ,still stinks ,you still need plan b asap, how is tank running equip wise rt now ?
what state are you in ?

OP
OP
glad43

glad43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it wasn't bottom ,still stinks ,you still need plan b asap, how is tank running equip wise rt now ?
what state are you in ?
Agree. I use live rock and sand so I have a bio filter going. I have two mp 40s on each end circulating water. Clamp seems to be working. No further leak. About 2/3 water

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1 don't give up. Put corals/fish/rock in buckets or totes, extra fish tanks, etc. Add some heat and water movement. Your corals will survive without light for a little bit as needed.

If you can't replace the tank, find local reefers that might be able to foster the fish/corals for you?

There are still options.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where do you live? There's lots of local groups on here - some big, some small - but there's a bunch of great people that are almost always willing to help out.

OP
OP
glad43

glad43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 don't give up. Put corals/fish/rock in buckets or totes, extra fish tanks, etc. Add some heat and water movement. Your corals will survive without light for a little bit as needed.

If you can't replace the tank, find local reefers that might be able to foster the fish/corals for you?

There are still options.
It’s very frustrating as you spend the money extra money for Red Sea and don’t expect this. I hope they will do something to honor their product.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles . 6 years is not that long for a tank imo . I’m hoping they help you square. In the mean time the tote and or brute idea is good as well as local reef club down there . Good luck !!!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
turn down the mp's less pressure on glass, assuming sump is not running, get movement in there, add airstone to tank if possible, wrap duct tape 6x around tank upon itself, ratchet strap snug, anything in a pinch til morn

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seem opened about four inches from the top so I have water. I used cabinet braces to hold the tank together for now. What will Red Sea say.

It sucks, that’s exactly what happened to mine 2 yrs ago. It was out of warranty. I used bar clamps to keep it from opening further. Red Sea sent me a replacement tank and had me paying for shipping.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I am part of the statistic. My 350 failed on me today on the front right seem

I don’t know what to do. I will call them tomorrow. I did nothing wrong. 6 year old tank well cared for. All my coral will be dead.

buy one of their new ato...it has a leak detector....
but seriously sorry to hear of another victim
imho people who continue to buy these substandard products need therapy

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an Oceanic 8 foot 300g tank that is at least 25 years old. I am not the original owner, but I have had it for about 10 years, previous owner had it for at least 15 he claimed. I include the picture so you can see some of the Bracing that went into these old tanks. The glass on mine is 5/8th front and sides and a 3/4 bottom. 22inch wide center brace made from 1/2 glass. Thicker by far than anything made today unless you have a tank Custom Built, and I believe the Reason why these older tanks do not fail, they were just built better out of better materials.

DFW aquariums sells Planet Aquariums, company started by 2 guys that worked at Oceanic. They have had some issues as well, but not nearly the spotlight REDSEA has earned thru seam failures on their tanks. https://planetaquariums.com/

I'd also give Glass Cages a serious look, but in no way would I ever consider replacing a Failed Seam Tank with another tank by the same Manufacturer, I do not care how many revisions to design they have made.

Attachments

• 20230612_052324[1].jpg
    20230612_052324[1].jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 39

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back