McCosker's Wrasse Teeth stuck in Net

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Netting removed except for a small fuzz on the lower tooth. Unfortunately, the fish is upside down/ sideways and breathing heavily. I will leave him in the dark until morning but idk what will happen now.
Hoping for the best... I dont think ive ever seen this happen before

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: After the removal of the netting, he was pretty much moribound, laying on his side/ upside down and breathing heavily. I gave him darkness and quiet to for a few hours to see if he would turn around. When I checked up on him again he was dead. Thank you everyone for their help and advice, I really appreciate it. I will never use a net again on flasher wrasses. :crying-face: One of my favorite fish, and I was really looking forward to having him with the other wrasses. I feel horrible but there wasn't much I could do after removing the net, and he was already stressed from shipping, not swimming, just lying on his belly and hiding.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did the best you could in difficult circumstances. I have a McCosker's, and I will heed your advice to NOT use a net on him. Sorry for your loss.

I think if you would have left it alone it would have had the same end. The net up in his face like that was likely a HUGE stressor.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: After the removal of the netting, he was pretty much moribound, laying on his side/ upside down and breathing heavily. I gave him darkness and quiet to for a few hours to see if he would turn around. When I checked up on him again he was dead. Thank you everyone for their help and advice, I really appreciate it. I will never use a net again on flasher wrasses. :crying-face: One of my favorite fish, and I was really looking forward to having him with the other wrasses. I feel horrible but there wasn't much I could do after removing the net, and he was already stressed from shipping, not swimming, just lying on his belly and hiding.
I've been trying on a flasher myself. It hasn't been easy. My first came in moribund. My second made it through a 3/8-inch gap in the netting. I am leaning towards one more try.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hate using nets on most fish, so I used my hand in transferring my recent three flashers.

unfortunately, one managed to squirm and jump out from my hand and went carpet surfing. It seemed okay for the day but I haven’t seen it for a month so I am assuming it is dead.

just a heads up as flashers are great jumpers, even from hand.

I think I’ll go for those plastic litter scoops now, although I think the average wrasse is still too small for it

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying on a flasher myself. It hasn't been easy. My first came in moribund. My second made it through a 3/8-inch gap in the netting. I am leaning towards one more try.
I got mine from the LFS misidentified as a Filament Wrasse. I am finding that the younger the fish, the better it adapts to tank life. Anecdotal experience, but I am finding it to be useful.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate using nets on most fish, so I used my hand in transferring my recent three flashers.

unfortunately, one managed to squirm and jump out from my hand and went carpet surfing. It seemed okay for the day but I haven’t seen it for a month so I am assuming it is dead.

just a heads up as flashers are great jumpers, even from hand.

I think I’ll go for those plastic litter scoops now, although I think the average wrasse is still too small for it
I poke a hole in their bag to drain it. Then when it's empty pull the hole in the bag open even wider and the fish plops right in. No net.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I poke a hole in their bag to drain it. Then when it's empty pull the hole in the bag open even wider and the fish plops right in. No net.
I dump the store water and fish into a small bucket to drip acclimate, and then pour the whole mess through the net, into a larger bucket to insert the fish from the net with out adding any of the acclimation water.

I could use a breeder box instead of a net.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my hand with all fish except my rabbit. It’s easier to use your hand and have control of the fish when moving from one body of water to another and if you can cover the head of it then the fish will likely fail in getting out of your hand.

In the LFS you’ll usually see a net used to catch the fish but then once relaxed we will often use our hand for the last part. It reduces the risk of the fish getting stuck.

I’ve had it previously where I’ve gotten my 6” Magnificent Foxface stuck in a net (luckily I had some thick gloves lying around) and then also got a Genicanthus Angel stuck in a net (this gave me an idea of how to remove the rabbitfish from the netting). Both times this was during a move from my main tank to a bucket whilst replacing the sand with finer sand.

I learnt from this;
When you use a net you want to make sure the fish is relaxed before you bring it out of the water. Then once the fish hits the tank water, simply turn the net inside out and let the fish leave at its own pace. Usually they’ll leave it rather fast but on the odd occasion they will stay in it for a bit longer.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabby48 @4FordFamily Any thoughts on if I should do it now or wait a day?
Sorry I just saw this and for the loss.
I do not like nets as fish can get stuck and it stresses them more. Some nets are little softer and less chance of getting stuck than the one you had. I always use my hand as I can place my hand in and fish will settle and then grab them or I use clear plastic boxes. If I pull a net out fish know it’s scary before I even get close to the tank.

oregon reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Tough to say - less than 100 bpm isn’t all that high for a small fish. I’d say this fish would normally breath at around 80 or so.

You’ll probably need to intercede and remove it. I can’t tell you how to do this, just to be gentle or course.

Sorry I don’t have more definitive advice for you.

Jay
I’m
Hi everyone,
I had a shipment of stressed fish come in today. As I was netting the McCosker's wrasse to introduce him to the tank, he clamped down on the net with his teeth. I tried to get him unstuck, but he wouldn't come off. I then laid the net in the aquarium to see if he would swim off himself, but he didn't after 30 mins or so. I ended up cutting the net, so only a 1/2 inch square is caught on his teeth, but this was a very stressful process for him. He is currently on the bottom of the tank and breathing slightly heavily. Both of his jaws are caught on the net. Is there anything I should do, or should I keep the lights off and let him try to get it off on his own? I was not aware that flasher wrasses commonly bite down on nets with their teeth, and now I feel really stupid for making a mistake that I could have easily avoided. Thanks in advance and for reading through. Any help is greatly appreciated!
my new wrasse did the same thing last week. I held him gently to stop his thrashing around the cut around the net. A couple of hours later the net pieces were gone, and he seemed to be resting. In the morning he was dead. I think too much damage was done with the original thrashing. I’ll use my hand next time.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back