Measure calcium and magnesium level by a selective ion electrode. Does not require reagents!!

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this would really help me. Im slightly colour blind and have horrendous problems with test kits, i hate them. Ive always thought there must be a easier way, but i notice once again we are being screwed price wise same as the Hanna units ,. A few pennies worth of components, and charge the earth for it

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
game changer yes.. this reminds me of neptune's release that trident was coming out soon.. still waiting ...on that one .. time will tell

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indicator reagents are used in testing because they undergo a chemical reaction which changes their color, making visible confirmation possible. I agree that it is a tedious process.

I understand the concept and practice. I was just saying that there are ways that don't require them and have been around for a hundred years for many tests. Basically a rhetorical point about how silly it is that no one has done this yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
th

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know if the unit that does the CA,MG,No3 and K is a stand alone unit ? I already have a alkatronic stabilizing my ALK.

Last edited:

Pacific Sun HQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 cents because I tested ions selective electrodes three years ago (many different ).
My few thoughts:
1. ions selective electrodes can't be use in continuous mode - after measurement they should be flushed . They have limited lifetime(depending from construction some parts can be replaced - like membranes ).
2. . The ion-selective electrode works based on the principle of a galvanic cell. It consists of a reference electrode, ion-selective membrane and voltmeter.
The ion-selective electrode works based on the principle of a galvanic cell. It consists of a reference electrode, ion-selective membrane and voltmeter.
The transport of ions from an area of high concentration to low concentration through the selective binding of ions with the specific sites of the membrane creates a potential difference.
This potential is measured with respect to a stable reference electrode having a constant potential, and a net charge is determined. The difference in potential between the electrode and the membrane depends on the activity of the specific ion in solution.
The strength of the net charge thus measured is directly proportional to the concentration of the selected ion.
The electric potential can be calibrated by direct means, standard additions and titrations. However, direct calibration is the most common means of measuring concentrations.
Long story short - for proper work they require reference electrode - which measure amount of ions in liquid(know parameters - like Ca 400) and that is compared to measurement taken from main probe. On the photo I can see one electrode and one cable which not look like electrode which can be replaced (it's rather power cable - looking on shape).
Question is - where are reference electrodes for Ca/Mg/K and No3? How they are calibrated inside the device without changing liquid before each measurement? I can't see that on the photo - or we are talking about completely different device(not from the photo).
3. Multi-ions electrodes are not precise like single ion electrode. I doubt about 2% precision.

All above what I said is based on my experience - same like we tested ion selective membranes(and decided to not use it in our projects) - we tested also method for measuring pCO2(dissolved carbon dioxide in water - using infrared sensors) and knowing pH - calculate alkalinity. For measuring pCO2 we were using special membranes(which slew for transfer CO2 gas from water to testing chamber ) which was precise - but for maintenance and long term use - very not practical (and hard to service by Customer).
I wish everybody that product like this will be released soon - but that what we are looking for is something completely different than this what was described. Additionally - nobody say about cost and lifetime of this electrodes ;-)
From technical point of view - of course everything is possible, however not for that kind of money(until they will not focus only on direct sale - manufacturer to Customer). Having national distributors, wholesalers, shops and other "distribution levels" - we can forget about 450 euro price(retail).
I can bet for a good bottle of whiskey ;-)

Have a nice weekend!

Przemek

MikelM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Mikel and I am the CEO of the Xepta company. Thank a lot of for your interest in our products.

My 5 cents because I tested ions selective electrodes three years ago (many different ).
My few thoughts:
1. ions selective electrodes can't be use in continuous mode - after measurement they should be flushed . They have limited lifetime(depending from construction some parts can be replaced - like membranes ).
2. . The ion-selective electrode works based on the principle of a galvanic cell. It consists of a reference electrode, ion-selective membrane and voltmeter.
The ion-selective electrode works based on the principle of a galvanic cell. It consists of a reference electrode, ion-selective membrane and voltmeter.
The transport of ions from an area of high concentration to low concentration through the selective binding of ions with the specific sites of the membrane creates a potential difference.
This potential is measured with respect to a stable reference electrode having a constant potential, and a net charge is determined. The difference in potential between the electrode and the membrane depends on the activity of the specific ion in solution.
The strength of the net charge thus measured is directly proportional to the concentration of the selected ion.
The electric potential can be calibrated by direct means, standard additions and titrations. However, direct calibration is the most common means of measuring concentrations.
Long story short - for proper work they require reference electrode - which measure amount of ions in liquid(know parameters - like Ca 400) and that is compared to measurement taken from main probe. On the photo I can see one electrode and one cable which not look like electrode which can be replaced (it's rather power cable - looking on shape).
Question is - where are reference electrodes for Ca/Mg/K and No3? How they are calibrated inside the device without changing liquid before each measurement? I can't see that on the photo - or we are talking about completely different device(not from the photo).
3. Multi-ions electrodes are not precise like single ion electrode. I doubt about 2% precision.

All above what I said is based on my experience - same like we tested ion selective membranes(and decided to not use it in our projects) - we tested also method for measuring pCO2(dissolved carbon dioxide in water - using infrared sensors) and knowing pH - calculate alkalinity. For measuring pCO2 we were using special membranes(which slew for transfer CO2 gas from water to testing chamber ) which was precise - but for maintenance and long term use - very not practical (and hard to service by Customer).
I wish everybody that product like this will be released soon - but that what we are looking for is something completely different than this what was described. Additionally - nobody say about cost and lifetime of this electrodes ;-)
From technical point of view - of course everything is possible, however not for that kind of money(until they will not focus only on direct sale - manufacturer to Customer). Having national distributors, wholesalers, shops and other "distribution levels" - we can forget about 450 euro price(retail).
I can bet for a good bottle of whiskey ;-)

Have a nice weekend!

Przemek

buy a good bottle of whiskey, I accept the bet! for your statements, I think you´re a little lost with this measurement technique, I don´t give many details because I´ve seen this week GHL has copied our idea and I imagine that they will start with the development, you can see autoBalance and aBex in Reef a Palooza at the Coralvue stand.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a bottle of Whiskey please :).

I would also like one of the AutoBalance and aBex units :p .

Exciting times and Exciting equipment is on its way with so much promise to help reefers build and maintain beautiful systems with less and less hassle.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Mikel and I am the CEO of the Xepta company. Thank a lot of for your interest in our products.

buy a good bottle of whiskey, I accept the bet! for your statements, I think you´re a little lost with this measurement technique, I don´t give many details because I´ve seen this week GHL has copied our idea and I imagine that they will start with the development, you can see autoBalance and aBex in Reef a Palooza at the Coralvue stand.

I wish you made a stand alone unit .

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ve seen this week GHL has copied our idea and I imagine that they will start with the development

That's a SERIOUSLY bold statement.

But I do agree, these are exciting times to be in this hobby with SOOOO many new monitoring/controlling devices hitting the market.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back