Mechanical Filtration for Our Large Tanks

KingJason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 700g overall water volume. More details on my tank in my build (link in signature).

Right now I'm pushing about 4000g/h through my sump between my return, skimmer and manifold.

When I first setup my tank I used filter socks. They worked great and I had to change them out every 1-2 weeks. But as the tank matured and I fed more and had more going on the filter socks clogged way too fast. I would run through them in 3-5 days which got really annoying. I have 5x 4" spots in my sump for socks. So I just stopped running socks. This was probably a year ago.

So far I don't have any issues. Tank runs fine, corals all doing well, etc. The growth in my fuge keeps up and I don't have a nitrate or phosphate problem. My skimmer kicks butt and removes a lot of junk every day. I try to siphon out a little bit of the detritus I see each water change. But I do see a build up of detritus in my sump and a lot in the fuge area that I know will ultimately become a problem. I'd also like something to help polish the water a little.

So I'm looking for something to help automatically remove the detritus and clear up the water a little.

Few areas I've thought of:
-The Klir socks would fit right into my sock holders and could work. But at $250/each that ends up a bit of money and and how fast would I blow through the media? Also, since I'm running 5, how would they work with the float switches that control the motor. No idea...?
-The ClariSea SK-5000 is interesting because I can just add it to my sump and run it with it's own pump and control how fast I use the media. But is that enough and would it do a good job? This also is a bit expensive since I have to buy a pump too so it's probably going to be $600-700 all in depending on the pump I go with.
-What about running a basic canister filter w/ just the filter pad media? Downside to this is it would require maintenance/cleaning which I'm not a big fan of. Also with a tank this size, would it clog just as fast as the filter socks and become a pain in the butt.

Any other idea? Anyone else have things they've done?

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with the same on my 450 DT. I ended up purchasing a compact theiling roller mat and it has been my best purchase to date. I was using socks and had a large canister but felt almost as a slave to my tank. Now I have eliminated the socks and canister and haven’t had to change my filter pad going on almost 50days. Tank seems more stable too.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching mechanical filtration solutions as well. I was trying to find something that did not require media changes and could be enabled and disabled automatically. I am planning a bacteria driven system for my new build (no protein skimming), so having something that can remove detritus and leave as much of the plankton as possible is what I am looking for.

I am thinking I am going to try a Multi-Cyclone cyclonic filter driven from its own pump. I figure if it does not work out, then I move it to my pool, and my pool gets an upgade.

Dennis

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingJason

KingJason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching mechanical filtration solutions as well. I was trying to find something that did not require media changes and could be enabled and disabled automatically. I am planning a bacteria driven system for my new build (no protein skimming), so having something that can remove detritus and leave as much of the palnkton as possible is wahtt I am looking for.

I am thinking I am going to try a Multi-Cyclone cyclonic filter driven from its own pump. I figure if it does not work out, then I move it to my pool, and my pool gets an upgade.

Dennis

This sounds interesting. I just did a quick search and it sounds exactly like what we are looking to do.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds interesting. I just did a quick search and it sounds exactly like what we are looking to do.

Note that they have versions with and without cartridge filters built in. I am going with the versions without. They also require hefty pumps. I scanned your build thread, and you use some great equipment, so I am pretty sure you can find something to drive one adequately.

My tank and your are almost the same dimensions. I went for 36" wide due to ease of installation. My tank is not yet wet, but I am already second guessing myself and wishing I had went for 48" wide. I should probably wait until I have my tank running before I start thinking about it beng too small. Lol.

Dennis

OP
OP
KingJason

KingJason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that they have versions with and without cartridge filters built in. I am going with the versions without. They also require hefty pumps. I scanned your build thread, and you use some great equipment, so I am pretty sure you can find something to drive one adequately.

My tank and your are almost the same dimensions. I went for 36" wide due to ease of installation. My tank is not yet wet, but I am already second guessing myself and wishing I had went for 48" wide. I should probably wait until I have my tank running before I start thinking about it beng too small. Lol.

Dennis

Seems like it could have all kinds of interesting benefits.

Some info from one of the sites I found:

https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com...fNfmuj94_mfpPoE_Px1Ro88bEJYnx-LQaAg5pEALw_wcB

Incoming water is guided by a diverter plate so that it enters multiple hydro cyclones tangentially, generating a strong centrifugal effect. This spins the sediment out to the hydro cyclone's wall and then spirals it down to the sediment sump, while the cleansed water spirals upwards. The accumulation of sediment can be visibly monitored through the Multi Cyclone's clear sediment pump. It is cleared by simply opening the purge valve. Only 15 litres of water is discharged to clean the unit of sediment.

Oh I definitely already want a larger tank..lol. 10' is probably as long as I could go in this house but I should have gone deeper. 48 would be awesome. And then when I get a 48" one I'd want something bigger....we have a curse :)

OP
OP
KingJason

KingJason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dennis
Great build BTW. Enjoyed going through it.

FWIW now, the Panta's are incredible. The wave they can push 10' is wild.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cyclone filter in a pond once, worked really well. Never thought of throwing one on the reef. Might be a good idea.

This thread inspired me to figure out something about my sump. I have these little tabs near the sock holders. Turns out they are for tying off the drawstrings on 7" socks. I could be running 7" socks!! Just ordered some on amazon today. :)

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build BTW. Enjoyed going through it.

FWIW now, the Panta's are incredible. The wave they can push 10' is wild.

Thanks. I really need to get working on it again.

Mind you at the moment I am in Polynesia getting ah, inspiration, to complete the tank. This morning I noticed that there are clouds of small crustaceans, some type of mysid I think, that were visible in the transition from shadow to sunlight under each bungalow. Watching the chromis and damsels feeding in the current everyday has convinced me more than ever to try a plankton friendly route on the new tank.

I looked at the Panta Rei's, but like everything else in this build, I did it after I had already purchased (6) XF280 gyres. Doh. If the gyres either don't cut it, or prove to be too hard to keep running, the Panta Rei's will be on the top of my list.

Dennis

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the plankton cloud I was talking about yesterday.

This is exactly what I am wanting to preserve, or the pale imitation of it, in my tank. I am hoping that altering the speed of the feed pump will reduce the effective filtration size of the cyclone type of filter. Allowing me to set the lower limit of removed particles.

Dennis

DRT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with the same on my 450 DT. I ended up purchasing a compact theiling roller mat and it has been my best purchase to date. I was using socks and had a large canister but felt almost as a slave to my tank. Now I have eliminated the socks and canister and haven’t had to change my filter pad going on almost 50days. Tank seems more stable too.
I like that roller I have been using socks and where they are located makes the extremely hard to change I think I am going to have to invest is an roller.

Thanks

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the plankton cloud I was talking about yesterday.

This is exactly what I am wanting to preserve, or the pale imitation of it, in my tank. I am hoping that altering the speed of the feed pump will reduce the effective filtration size of the cyclone type of filter. Allowing me to set the lower limit of removed particles.

Dennis

Awesome! I was just in French Polynesia a few months ago getting “inspiration” for my aquascape lol. Mauruuru for the flashback! Lol.

Awesome build by the way, following along

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a high up-front cost, but an RDF (rotating drum filter) will give you zero maintenance forever, zero ongoing media cost and filter your entire 4000gph flow. Pretty much the holy grail of mechanical filtration. Normally they are used for koi ponds, but I am currently in the process of retrofitting the 304 stainless fittings on one with titanium for use in my tank. I will be posting the steps and materials needed pretty soon. Blitzkragz' 12ft 375g rimless peninsula with rotary drum filter build

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I was just in French Polynesia a few months ago getting “inspiration” for my aquascape lol. Mauruuru for the flashback! Lol.

Awesome build by the way, following along

‘ia ora na! This was our 3rd time visiting Bora Bora and Mo'orea. I am hopeful that the next time we will go to Rangiroa which is known for its snorkeling and diving. I have some decent videos and photos, but I don't want to go too far OT, so I will try to create a thread to post them.

Dennis

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a high up-front cost, but an RDF (rotating drum filter) will give you zero maintenance forever, zero ongoing media cost and filter your entire 4000gph flow. Pretty much the holy grail of mechanical filtration. Normally they are used for koi ponds, but I am currently in the process of retrofitting the 304 stainless fittings on one with titanium for use in my tank. I will be posting the steps and materials needed pretty soon. Blitzkragz' 12ft 375g rimless peninsula with rotary drum filter build

That is neat. I had never heard of these filters. Awesome build. I will be following your build progress.

Dennis

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's an insane filter. It's enormous.

So I mentioned earlier I was trying out 7" socks on mine, because apparently I can tie them on. So far.. undecided:

1) Normally a sock takes me like 10 seconds to change.. these took me like a minute each to get in there.
2) The side I put them on has a bit more flow than the other side. Lately I've had to change socks on that side every 2 days. So far, I'm 4 days in and it's barely dirty, so, kinda happy about that.

I might swap to the 7's and have the 4's around for when I'm in a hurry and need to just swap them right now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back