Media reactors clogging

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who run sockless systems, is there a way of stopping my gfo reactor from becoming clogged within a week or so?

for that matter is there anything I can do for my skimmer beyond cleaning it far more frequently?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who run sockless systems, is there a way of stopping my gfo reactor from becoming clogged within a week or so?

for that matter is there anything I can do for my skimmer beyond cleaning it far more frequently?
The clogging GFO reactor might be a sign of high flow. GFO is easily broken up into small pieces and might form a mud.

What is the issue with the skimmer?

OP
OP
Cunning_plan

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more that the filter pads in there and bottom part of the gfo gets full of gunk.

same with the skimmer really.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more that the filter pads in there and bottom part of the gfo gets full of gunk.

same with the skimmer really.
Where is there a pad in a skimmer?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that wasn’t well written. The skimmer itself fills with gunk, around and on top of the bit with the holes in.
Ha, got it.

Skimmers get gunked up faster when run dry. I run mine wet and clean it every 2-3 weeks.

By the way, whether or not your system is mechanically filtered (filter sock) everything becomes slimed and gunked up. Aquariums and equipment need regular cleaning. A healthy ongoing debate is how much and how often to clean but no one ever claims they do zero maintenance.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in the process of dialing in my system without socks... it's been a challenge but I'm getting there thanks to NOPOX. I've been having the same issue with my reactor getting clogged. When I built the manifold for my carbon / gfo reactor and algae reactor (which I'm not using anymore, anyone want a used Pax Bellum?? Haha) I put the pump in my first chamber, next to where the socks used to be... right behind the skimmer. Well I've been thinking I need to move the pump to another area so it isn't immediately pulling up chunks of food and sending them into the carbon reactor. Yay, more plumbing! I'm wondering if you have your pump in a similar location?

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as the skimmer, I've been running a small powerhead in the skimmer chamber. It's helped to keep everything from settling and my skimmer has been working much better since then. (Although it's probably more due to the removal of socks, but I think the extra flow helps to 'feed' it)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back