Medications to keep on hand

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys recommend to treat with Prazipro or General Cure as a preventative in a QT when getting new fish and corals? We are buying all of the bare essentials on the list that is recommended in this thread, but we are trying to decide between buying Prazipro or General Cure. I know that General Cure contains both metro and praziquantel, but is there anything that it won't get rid of that Prazipro will? Should I just buy both Prazipro and General Cure? Thank you in advance for the help.
The benefit to gc is it will treat internal parasites also. As a prophylactic treatment you cover 2 things with one Med combined but as brew12 said its a preference. Also gc is a lower dose of praziquantel than prazipro.

Swimmingdork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses. I will just go ahead and buy both Prazipro and GC to have them on hand.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I was wondering if you had seen this? American aquarium products bringing back some of the aquatronics meds?
A couple have quinine hcl in them, might they be appropriate for treatment of ich/velvet? Also some acriflavine and other antibiotics..
Any opinion? http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquatronics.html

Interesting... Carl also sells API products in bulk: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumPharmaceuticalsAPI.html

If you look at his price for the "BULK CANISTER" of General Cure and Furan-2, it saves over 50% from having to buy the packets.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I do to help to provide temporary relief for gill infection? My fish has been in QT for 7 days constantly flashing at the head/gill area. I've dosed GC 3 days ago and done 5 min FW/75 min Acriflavine bath but the flashing doesn't seem to cease. I'm now ramping up on CopperPower and targeting 1.5ppm in 10 days.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I do to help to provide temporary relief for gill infection? My fish has been in QT for 7 days constantly flashing at the head/gill area. I've dosed GC 3 days ago and done 5 min FW/75 min Acriflavine bath but the flashing doesn't seem to cease. I'm now ramping up on CopperPower and targeting 1.5ppm in 10 days.

Gill infection or gill flukes? Do the gills look red/inflamed? If so, I would double check your ammonia level as redness around the gills is a sign of ammonia burn.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gill infection or gill flukes? Do the gills look red/inflamed? If so, I would double check your ammonia level as redness around the gills is a sign of ammonia burn.
Thank you. I meant to say either ich or flukes have invaded and attacked the gills. Their gills don't look red but I bet they're are super irritated because they keep flashing the gill area all day for the past couple days. I checked ammonia and it was 0, also I have the ammonia alert badge staying yellow all time.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I meant to say either ich or flukes have invaded and attacked the gills. Their gills don't look red but I bet they're are super irritated because they keep flashing the gill area all day for the past couple days. I checked ammonia and it was 0, also I have the ammonia alert badge staying yellow all time.

When you did the FW dip did you see any white sesame looking things drop off/out of the fish? Trying to figure out if there are flukes or parasites afflicting their gills.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you did the FW dip did you see any white sesame looking things drop off/out of the fish? Trying to figure out if there are flukes or parasites afflicting their gills.
I did not see anything came off after the dip. A little background about my QT, I have 3 fish in this QT for 3 weeks and I've already done 2 rounds a GC. Sometimes I noticed one wrasse still yawned/flashed occasionally so my guess was either prazi-resistant flukes/ich in the gill. Then last week I added 2 more fish, both of them started to flashing continuously shortly after arrivals. 3 days ago, I gave them (the two new fish) a FW dip/Acriflavine bath and started another round of GC to make sure the new fish were treated for flukes but the flashing never stopped. Today I gave them (again, the new fish) another FW dip/Acriflavine bath then started ramping up CopperPower.​

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see anything came off after the dip. A little background about my QT, I have 3 fish in this QT for 3 weeks and I've already done 2 rounds a GC. Sometimes I noticed one wrasse still yawned/flashed occasionally so my guess was either prazi-resistant flukes/ich in the gill. Then last week I added 2 more fish, both of them started to flashing continuously shortly after arrivals. 3 days ago, I gave them (the two new fish) a FW dip/Acriflavine bath and started another round of GC to make sure the new fish were treated for flukes but the flashing never stopped. Today I gave them (again, the new fish) another FW dip/Acriflavine bath then started ramping up CopperPower.​

I think ramping up Copper Power is wise, because this sounds more like a parasite (e.g. ich, velvet) in the gills.

Other than treating with copper for 30 days, there's not much else you can do.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ramping up Copper Power is wise, because this sounds more like a parasite (e.g. ich, velvet) in the gills.

Other than treating with copper for 30 days, there's not much else you can do.
Thank you, that's my plan. Btw, at what point do you think I should add antibiotic? I do see ragged/tattered fins on couple of fish but they're small tears. I do have the "trifecta" on hands.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that's my plan. Btw, at what point do you think I should add antibiotic? I do see ragged/tattered fins on couple of fish but they're small tears. I do have the "trifecta" on hands.

Can you post pics so we can see how bad the tattered fins are?

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30070881_2175137099182795_552205463_o.jpg
30074224_2175137299182775_1066213393_o.jpg
30122943_2175137032516135_885124564_o.jpg

I've added a couple photos of the tattered fins I was talking about earlier. Sorry for the blurry pictures, I dont set up a light for the QT, only rely on ambient light from windows.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PGT253 I would dose an antibiotic; you have some options here:
  1. Kanaplex
  2. One of the Sulfa drugs e.g. API Triple Sulfa, Seachem Sulfaplex
  3. Erythromycin

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PGT253 I would dose an antibiotic; you have some options here:
  1. Kanaplex
  2. One of the Sulfa drugs e.g. API Triple Sulfa, Seachem Sulfaplex
  3. Erythromycin
Thank you, I'll start on Kanaplex. I was adding Metroplex + Kanaplex with Focus to food and was to start feeding the mix to my fish, should I stop that and go for dosing in the water route?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'll start on Kanaplex. I was adding Metroplex + Kanaplex with Focus to food and was to start feeding the mix to my fish, should I stop that and go for dosing in the water route?

Do both

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back