Medications to keep on hand

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Yes, because velvet and other parasites are so rampant nowadays. However, I would also deworm the fish (using prazi) either before or after copper treatment.

dwest likes this.

2. ltrace

ltrace Active Member

If QT for 6 weeks how long should the copper or Chloroquine(I have both) be in the water before running carbon and then adding Prazi? Also GC has prazi in it will that work?

3. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

4 weeks if using just one QT

Yes

4. ltrace

ltrace Active Member

After QT period is over, what process do you suggest to acclimate QT inhabitant for the DT? Is there a freshwater dip involved in QT process at all?

5. Skep18

Skep18 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Forgive me if its answered already but does Seachem Focus do anything as a stand alone medication or is it really only a binding agent to supplement other food medications?

The Seachem site (link above) describes it as, "Antibacterial polymer for internal infections of fish. Use alone or mixed with other medications to make them palatable to fish and greatly reduce the loss of medication to the water through diffusion. Treats fungal and bacterial infections."

A quick search without a reference check defines the differences as, "Antibiotics are the chemical or physical agent produced naturally or artificially capable of inhibiting and killing the growing microorganisms, but antibacterial substances only work against the bacteria and these antibacterial compounds rather killing those harmful bacteria just help in slowing down their activities. It will not be wrong to say that ‘all antibiotics are antibacterial, but all antibacterial is not antibiotics.’"

I guess I'm asking is an antibacterial useful for anything in this hobby that any of you might know about. Just a thought but this might be useful to add to one of these awesome stickies if appropriate. ;)

(@Humblefish )

6. Skep18

Skep18 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong but...
    1. When starting QT, I match SG to the source water the fish is coming in. As I do WC's, I slowly increase salinity to the DT. When its time to transfer, you can then just transfer without needing to acclimate as parameters should be same/very close. (For ultra sensitive fish, you might want to ensure they're not pH sensitive or something before doing this.)
    2. FW dips are meant to relieve a fish from an external parasite outbreak. Ultimately, you should treat the fish for any external parasites, whether prophylactically or in response to a finding, before it can "graduate" to the DT. So I guess the answer would be only FW dip on an as-needed basis.

7. Humblefish

The "antibacterial polymer" found in Seachem Focus probably helps prevent internal infections from developing. After all, worms eating away at a fish's intestines leave little bite marks which are just ripe for infection.

Skep18 likes this.
  8. NoobReeefer

NoobReeefer Active Member

when mixing metro/focus with food
    metro directions say 1 tablespoon of food, 1 scoop of metro
    focus says 5:1 ratio by volume
    so does that mean 1 tablespoon of food, 1 scoop of metro and 5 scoops of focus or the other way around 5 scoops of metro and 1 scoop of focus
    thanks

9. Dolelo96

Dolelo96 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

@Humblefish. Have you ever seen this. Ordering meds to keep on hand and it popped up.
    IMG_9960.JPG

10. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I've never seen that before, but it looks like it could work based on the fact it is a copper product. It's effectiveness would depend on the type of copper and the dosing instructions.
    upload_2019-3-21_18-15-1.png

Dolelo96 likes this.
  11. Dolelo96

Dolelo96 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I ordered a bottle, along with meds @Humblefish recommended. Velvet wiped out my tank back in September, so I don't know if I'm brave enough to use it. I'm going to try and find some more info on it:confused:

12. Dolelo96

Am I covered? Is this overkill. Rebuilding my tank and do not want to be unprepared again. Waiting to hear back from vet about prescription of Choloroquine. Vet tech asked me if I would bring fish in
    [​IMG]
    Seachem Laboratories Cupramine Active Copper - 100mL

In stock in our East and West Coast warehouses

$8.39

In Stock

[​IMG]
    Ruby Reef Rally 1 L

$23.99

In Stock

[​IMG]
    Kordon Rid-Ich Disease Treatment - 16oz

$9.99

In Stock

[​IMG]
    Seachem Laboratories MetroPlex - 5 Grams

$7.34

In Stock

[​IMG]
    Seachem Laboratories Kanaplex - 5 Grams

$7.34

In Stock

[​IMG]
    API Furan-2 Medication - 10ct Powder Packets

$8.28

In Stock

[​IMG]
    Seachem Laboratories Focus - 5 Grams

$7.34

In Stock

[​IMG]
    API EM Erythromycin Medication - 10ct Powder Packets

$12.59

In Stock
    Your Cart
    ITEM QUANTITY PRICE SUBTOTAL DELETE
    [​IMG]
    hw Wiegandt
    250 ML HW-ODINEX

$13.99 $13.99 x
    [​IMG]
    Hikari
    1 OZ PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT

$3.99 $3.99 x

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  13. TK_KW

TK_KW Wait WHAT!! Its HOW MUCH!!!!! R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor

Evening #reefsquad,

I currently have a wrasse with spinal/copper induced injury, hes just a waiting game, BUT fish have white poop as if internal parasite or what not.
    What is the mix for pre soaking food for this. Medications I have on hand for this I think are:
    Metroplex
    Focus
    Kanaplex
    Garlic guard
    Furan 2

What is a mix for presoaking food? Thanks

14. JoshH

JoshH Swimming in the deep end... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

@ngoodermuth would be an excellent person to chime in on this question:)

TK_KW and ngoodermuth like this.
  15. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Add 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure to 1 Tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Feed the food for 14 days. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to fully erradicate. So if you still see white stringy poop at 14 days continue for an additional 7.

I recommend only storing food in refrigerator after prepared for 3-5 days. Toss and make new if there are leftovers.

You can use Metroplex instead of general cure. If you are dealing with worms you will need to use general cure.

TK_KW, ngoodermuth and JoshH like this.
  16. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

If the intestinal parasites are possibly invading the spinal column, you’ll want to start the metroplex soaked foods sooner than later.

If you start with the metroplex until you have a chance to hunt down the GC, and then switch- that’s fine too!

TK_KW, JoshH and HotRocks like this.
  17. TK_KW

TK_KW Wait WHAT!! Its HOW MUCH!!!!! R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor

HotRocks likes this.
  18. HumuhumuFan

HumuhumuFan Active Member

I learned my lesson after my last few threads. Amazon Prime is great and all but I’d still prefer to have what I need on hand.
    [​IMG]

drstardust likes this.
  19. reelredfisah

reelredfisah Active Member

Ok I have read so many threads on QT done forgot half of what I read.

Never had QT setup before but wanting to do it right.

Just ordered 2 of the waterbox 10G cubes for QT. Just not real sure how to set them up and what all meds I need to order. Tanks should arrive this week so want to get meds on order so I have them by then.

If someone could help out that would be great.

20. reelredfisah

reelredfisah Active Member

Seems like some things have changed over time. I have two new QT tanks coming this week. First time I am setting up a QT. So want to get meds on order. Most likely use amazon but not real sure what I need to order. What is the most current recommendations?

Draft saved Draft deleted