OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you start with copper or chloroquine and the wait to see if any other meds are need?

Yes, because velvet and other parasites are so rampant nowadays. However, I would also deworm the fish (using prazi) either before or after copper treatment.

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If QT for 6 weeks how long should the copper or Chloroquine(I have both) be in the water before running carbon and then adding Prazi? Also GC has prazi in it will that work?

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After QT period is over, what process do you suggest to acclimate QT inhabitant for the DT? Is there a freshwater dip involved in QT process at all?

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forgive me if its answered already but does Seachem Focus do anything as a stand alone medication or is it really only a binding agent to supplement other food medications?

The Seachem site (link above) describes it as, "Antibacterial polymer for internal infections of fish. Use alone or mixed with other medications to make them palatable to fish and greatly reduce the loss of medication to the water through diffusion. Treats fungal and bacterial infections."

A quick search without a reference check defines the differences as, "Antibiotics are the chemical or physical agent produced naturally or artificially capable of inhibiting and killing the growing microorganisms, but antibacterial substances only work against the bacteria and these antibacterial compounds rather killing those harmful bacteria just help in slowing down their activities. It will not be wrong to say that ‘all antibiotics are antibacterial, but all antibacterial is not antibiotics.’"

I guess I'm asking is an antibacterial useful for anything in this hobby that any of you might know about. Just a thought but this might be useful to add to one of these awesome stickies if appropriate. ;)

(@Humblefish )

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After QT period is over, what process do you suggest to acclimate QT inhabitant for the DT? Is there a freshwater dip involved in QT process at all?

I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong but...
  1. When starting QT, I match SG to the source water the fish is coming in. As I do WC's, I slowly increase salinity to the DT. When its time to transfer, you can then just transfer without needing to acclimate as parameters should be same/very close. (For ultra sensitive fish, you might want to ensure they're not pH sensitive or something before doing this.)
  2. FW dips are meant to relieve a fish from an external parasite outbreak. Ultimately, you should treat the fish for any external parasites, whether prophylactically or in response to a finding, before it can "graduate" to the DT. So I guess the answer would be only FW dip on an as-needed basis.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "antibacterial polymer" found in Seachem Focus probably helps prevent internal infections from developing. After all, worms eating away at a fish's intestines leave little bite marks which are just ripe for infection.

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when mixing metro/focus with food
metro directions say 1 tablespoon of food, 1 scoop of metro
focus says 5:1 ratio by volume
so does that mean 1 tablespoon of food, 1 scoop of metro and 5 scoops of focus or the other way around 5 scoops of metro and 1 scoop of focus
thanks

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish. Have you ever seen this. Ordering meds to keep on hand and it popped up.
IMG_9960.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish. Have you ever seen this. Ordering meds to keep on hand and it popped up.
IMG_9960.JPG
I've never seen that before, but it looks like it could work based on the fact it is a copper product. It's effectiveness would depend on the type of copper and the dosing instructions.
upload_2019-3-21_18-15-1.png

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a bottle, along with meds @Humblefish recommended. Velvet wiped out my tank back in September, so I don't know if I'm brave enough to use it. I'm going to try and find some more info on it:confused:

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I covered? Is this overkill. Rebuilding my tank and do not want to be unprepared again. Waiting to hear back from vet about prescription of Choloroquine. Vet tech asked me if I would bring fish in[emoji33]

Seachem Laboratories Cupramine Active Copper - 100mL

In stock in our East and West Coast warehouses

$8.39

In Stock

Ruby Reef Rally 1 L

$23.99

In Stock

Kordon Rid-Ich[emoji768] Disease Treatment - 16oz

$9.99

In Stock

Seachem Laboratories MetroPlex - 5 Grams

$7.34

In Stock

Seachem Laboratories Kanaplex - 5 Grams

$7.34

In Stock

API Furan-2 Medication - 10ct Powder Packets

$8.28

In Stock

Seachem Laboratories Focus - 5 Grams

$7.34

In Stock

API EM Erythromycin Medication - 10ct Powder Packets

$12.59

In Stock
Your Cart
ITEM QUANTITY PRICE SUBTOTAL DELETE

hw Wiegandt
250 ML HW-ODINEX

$13.99 $13.99 x

Hikari
1 OZ PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT

$3.99 $3.99 x

Last edited:

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening #reefsquad,

I currently have a wrasse with spinal/copper induced injury, hes just a waiting game, BUT fish have white poop as if internal parasite or what not.
What is the mix for pre soaking food for this. Medications I have on hand for this I think are:
Metroplex
Focus
Kanaplex
Garlic guard
Furan 2

What is a mix for presoaking food? Thanks

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening #reefsquad,

I currently have a wrasse with spinal/copper induced injury, hes just a waiting game, BUT fish have white poop as if internal parasite or what not.
What is the mix for pre soaking food for this. Medications I have on hand for this I think are:
Metroplex
Focus
Kanaplex
Garlic guard
Furan 2

What is a mix for presoaking food? Thanks

@ngoodermuth would be an excellent person to chime in on this question:)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure to 1 Tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Feed the food for 14 days. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to fully erradicate. So if you still see white stringy poop at 14 days continue for an additional 7.

I recommend only storing food in refrigerator after prepared for 3-5 days. Toss and make new if there are leftovers.

You can use Metroplex instead of general cure. If you are dealing with worms you will need to use general cure.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the intestinal parasites are possibly invading the spinal column, you’ll want to start the metroplex soaked foods sooner than later.

If you start with the metroplex until you have a chance to hunt down the GC, and then switch- that’s fine too!

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have read so many threads on QT done forgot half of what I read.

Never had QT setup before but wanting to do it right.

Just ordered 2 of the waterbox 10G cubes for QT. Just not real sure how to set them up and what all meds I need to order. Tanks should arrive this week so want to get meds on order so I have them by then.

If someone could help out that would be great.

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like some things have changed over time. I have two new QT tanks coming this week. First time I am setting up a QT. So want to get meds on order. Most likely use amazon but not real sure what I need to order. What is the most current recommendations?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back