likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Name
Brian
Boy.jpg

About Me
A3D767A9-5611-4614-A13F-7F5F9032E55B.jpeg

I was born in upstate NY (Cortland). I have lived all over NY including Long Island (both counties), Manhattan and currently in Westchester County. I also lived in San Francisco.

Family
I have two beautiful daughters, Molly (9) and Katie (11).
A8468E60-CDCC-48B5-9054-E6152F66DCA6.jpeg

Username
I was given the nickname Caveman in college. It stuck so well few people knew my real name.

My avatar is a picture of a Moon Jellyfish. The photo was taken at the Aquarium of the Bay in Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco and doctored with a little Photoshop artistry. It is part of my R2R identity and will never change.

Year Started Reefing

Favorite Critters
Anemones, Clownfish, Invertebrates

Honorable Mentions
Cleaner Shrimp, Mandarin, Purple Tang, Tunicates and, if I had to pick, LPS corals.

About My Pets
Growing up we had freshwater fish, hamsters and a cat. I would also collect snakes, salamanders and newts around my neighborhood (there was a pond). As I grew older I kept several reptiles and freshwater tanks. In the early nineties a new college friend recommended I "graduate" to marine tanks and got me started with Martin A. Moe's books. Within a year I had three tanks running at once. At that time I also had a ferret, two iguanas and a red tailed boa constrictor all in a studio apartment. I ended up taking a job at a local pet store for a while to support my habit. The store had a large saltwater section and luckily, in the absence of an internet, I learned a lot there.

In the late nineties I moved to San Francisco for three years. Tired of moving animals several times, I found homes for them before I left. It was the only period in my life that I lived with no pets.

I returned to NY at the Millennium and met my wife. We bought a Betta fish and are on our fourth in 18 years. After we bought a house, I started running a freshwater planted tank. It was enjoyable, but I regretted not going marine. That tank sprung a leak in our living room and I took it as a sign to return to saltwater. You can read about that adventure in my build thread linked below.

Career
I work as a freelance Technical Director for live television, mostly news and sports throughout my career. I primarily do what a video editor does, but I do it live according to a directors call (and with a bit of engineering to coordinate all of my systems). One of the highlights of my career was working at Madison Square Garden with the NY Rangers and Knicks in 1994.
IMG_1692.JPG

Other Hobbies and Distractions
I play several musical instruments. I enjoy writing. I am a sucker for math, science, space and philosophy.

Build Thread Link
I Received a Box of Rocks Today

6E4E822D-F11D-45A9-83E8-809979EDF914.jpeg

_____

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
First off let me say I'm Honored to be part of such a Great Community of Reefers!

Name: Jay

Us.jpg

Favorite Saltwater Critters: Anemones and Clown Fish. Over the years I have never really paid attention to the Wrasse Species, but recently found a love for them. They are amazing Fish!

Year started reefing: I started my first fresh water tank when I was 10 years old. My Father was Military so we never really had a chance to set up anything for the long term, so everything simple and on the cheap. Back then it was the basic intro fish like Guppies, Tetras and what ever else was marked down that I toss in the tank. I dabbled in freshwater on and off over the years until our company relocated us from Kansas to North Carolina. My wife and I stared our first Saltwater tanks in 2012 with a 10, 15 gallon bow and a 29 gallon Biocube. Somewhere along the line we became hooked.

Screen Name / Avatar: Hdsoftail1065 is a combination of my old slug, 2003 Anniversary Edition Harley Davidson Heritage Softail and part of my Birthday. It is also used for several applications, gamer tag, old email and anything else that requires me to remember a user login. The Avatar is one of the Anemones in the Biocube along with one of our Picasso Extremes.

Biks.jpg

Current Tanks - 32 Biocube and a Oceanic 144 1/2 moon. Going in back into the hobby after short break we purchased the 32 and upgraded the lighting. Our initial plan was a mixed reef but that plan went in a different direction when we introduced 2 RBTA's that decided to have a family of their own. Now we have a nice little 32 gallon Nem tank. The 144 (L 57.5 x W 29 x H 29) has been a slow build all by choice. Remember - Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I seen this tank years ago but at the timing just wasn't right. Fast forward a few years and I found this one still brand new with my name written all over it. It will soon be stocked with some corals. I'm still tossing around what direction I want to go with this one. Mixed, softies, etc, time will tell.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Build Thread: Here

Career:- USAF Retired. / Aircraft Manufacturing

A little about us: Married 14 years to my best friend and feel blessed that we can enjoy this hobby together. You will soon discover I'm one of those guys that pays very close attention to detail...ok, maybe not, but I will NEVER forget our Anniversary! April 1st, who could ever forget that day! To this day she still doesn't know if I was kidding, but then again I still don't know if she was either. We have 2 children, daughter (28) Son (24). 2 grandchildren Keith (7) Addie (6) and 4 fur-babies.
IMG_20180824_172715_1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Name: Nicole

Year started reefing: 2007
Why you choose your user name and avatar: Lack of creativity I guess

Favorite fish: Definitely wrasses, specifically my c. Jordani (Flame wrasse) Also a huge leopard wrasse fan.

Favorite coral: SPS, though it’s a love-hate relationship at times...

And a little about yourself: I’ve always had a great interest in ocean life and marine biology, but my SO is the one who introduced me to reef-keeping way back before our son was born. As it turned out, he is more interested in the tinkering and mechanical end of things...where I have a natural aptitude for managing livestock and taking care of the “hard to keep”. So, it worked out in that way. At R2R, I tend to hangout most in the fish disease forums where I seem to have the most experience, unfortunately

Besides reef-keeping, my biggest passion is horseback riding. I have a 4-year old American Paint horse I’ve been training and trail riding, named Chase. I also enjoy camping, hiking, visiting various parks and beaches, and of course hanging out with my kids and our three dogs, Titan, Parker, and Ben.

Build Thread Link:
120g Standard Mixed Reef
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=301186&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/120g-Standard-Mixed-Reef.301186/&share_type=t

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Name: Adam
Year started reefing: 1992 (I think)
Why you choose your user name and avatar: I'm an electrical and mechanical engineer by training, so it seemed fitting :)
Favorite fish: That's tough... probably the melanurus wrasse. Awesome colors, lots of personality and a useful fish in the tank
Favorite coral: Zoas! My tank was zoa dominant prior to the crash in October, 2017. I was having issues with them beforehand and those seem to be persisting since my reboot so I've stopped buying them. I'll get back into them eventually.
And a little about yourself: Let's see... I'm married to my high school sweet heart, Katie and we have two kids Zoey (6) and Adelynn (2). I'm an engineer by degree, but I've been a bit all over the place in my career. I've made autonomous vehicles that fly, swim, drive, and float. (Everything but space) My last project, before changing roles was running the autonomy team for an underwater inspection vehicle.

After that I moved on to become the deputy chief scientist for the company. I ran programs all over technoverse from quantum computing to nuclear batteries. It was a fun job and I got to travel the world doing it. Family obligations and the itch to do something I could call my own drove me into my current role.

I launched a startup (Pression) in August, 2018 and have been working that full time since. Who needs a paycheck, right? We're developing an intelligent compression system for athletic recovery. (It's super cool and works amazingly well!) Outside of Reef2Reef, I'm also the president of the Delaware Reef Club and enjoy getting together with the local folks, talking tanks and building projects. I'm a member of an awesome makerspace, NextFab, so we put together some cool DIY projects as a result.

Build Thread: I haven't started one for the reboot yet. I need to do that...

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Name: Preston

Year started reefing: 2015

Why you chose your user name and avatar: I wish I had a great story behind my username, but it's just my initials. My avatar is (currently) of my Copperband Butterflyfish. I sometimes switch it out to a picture of one of my other fish.

Favorite fish: Very hard for me to narrow it down to just one, but out of all the fish I have had, I miss my helfrichi firefish, pink bar gobies, midas blenny, and orange spotted blenny the most. I also love wrasses.

Favorite coral: Probably my pulsing sinularia (or lobophytum depending on who you ask), but I really love most soft coral.

And a little about yourself: I am happily married to my wife Rebekah and we have an 11 month old son named Landon. We enjoy going for drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway and visiting the Georgia Aquarium when we can. I enjoy anything sci-fi and love listening to audiobooks while I work. I am a professional horologist by trade.

Build Thread Link: PDR's RSR 350 Build

Edited-0056.jpg

IMG_2820.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm happy to be accepted into the Reef Squad and I'll do my best (as always) to help answer reefing questions and to keep adding real life into the forums.

Name:

Ron (bet you could have guessed that!) This is me and my wife, Elaine, doing one of our favorite things, snorkeling in the Florida Keys!
Ron and Elaine snorkeling.JPG

I’ll be 70 in April. So I think I'm the oldest Reef Squad member? I know I’m just a bit older than Lasse.

Year started reefing:
2004 I wanted to bring a bit of my snorkeling addiction into our home. Five years later I had 4 tanks! Now I have a 40g cube that is wall to wall zoas and RFA’s.

Why you choose your user name and avatar:
The user name just seemed logical to me. And the avatar is me in the Florida Keys holding a rare 4 leg Bahamian Star.

Favorite fish:
Any fish that has bright colors. I seem to like juveniles that end up maturing into dull looking fish. Like this young damsel on a reef in Belize.
Dansel in Belize.jpg

Favorite coral: Favorite invert:
Any coral that fluoresces colors well, but mostly zoas now.
FTS of my 40g cube.jpg

Favorite invert:
The most colorful rock flower anemone I can find! I have 30+ in my tank now, but most of them are very small babies (only 2 months old).

And a little about yourself:
I love to learn about almost anything. I used to be a serious adrenaline junkie, but I’m slowing down now that I’m starting to mature! I flew small planes (Cessna 150 Aerobat), I raced sports cars all over the Midwest, I snow skied a lot, I was willing to try most anything adventurous. Current loves (besides my wife, our cat and my reef tank) are Formula 1 racing, snorkeling, beach walks, auto-x, astronomy, photography, science fiction, my hot rod Miata (450+hp), college football, volunteering as a Shell Ambassador on the beaches of Sanibel, ECHL hockey, and… well, you get the idea!

My favorite race car, my 1987 Toyota MR2.
Ron at the SCCA Championships.jpg

My current hod rod, a 2008 Miata with a turbo charged Ford 2.5 liter making 450+ horsepower.
Hot rod Miata.jpg

My daily driver and 2018 C Street auto-x winning car, a 2017 Toyota 86. And the car on the beach at sunset.
2018 C Street winner.jpg Toyota 86 on the beach.jpg

Me as a Shell Ambassador for the Bailey Matthews National Shell Museum on Sanibel Island.
Ron as Shell Ambassador.jpg

I was born, raised and started work in Detroit, Michigan, 3M Co transferred me to Columbus, Ohio at age 32. I became self employed at age 46 and moved to SW Florida at age 50. Retired at age 62 and the last 8 years have been the best of my life (not that the first 62 were anything to sneeze at)!

I’m married to my 3rd wife and I am her 3rd husband. We both understand how important communication is (from lessons we learned the hard way). And at 15 years (+3 years of dating) we’ve only had one ‘raise your voice’ argument. And that was about getting her to retire!

Link to build thread:
In my signature below along with a couple of other threads that are important to me.

Reefahholic

Reef Junkie T.V.
View Badges
Reaction score
First name: Jared

Started Reef Keeping: 2003

Why you choose your username:
Back when I choose my username I was a little out of control. I had multiple tanks running and honestly felt like a Reefahholic. Why did you spell it with two h’s? At the time there was another Reefaholic running around so of course we couldn’t have the same name.

Favorite fish:
Yellow Tang, Regal Tang, Designer Clownfish, Female Vermiculite Wrasse, Bicolor Dottyback, Adult Atlantic Blue Tang, Anthias, Skunk Clownfish, Copperband Butterflyfish, Bicolor Damsels, Blue Damsels, Blue-Green Chromis, Starry Blenny, Molly Miller Blenny, and the list goes on.

Favorite coral:
I’ve always liked fluffy LPS coral. I also enjoy SPS and Softies. I’m a mixed reef guy. Here lately...my addiction for different Acropora pieces has grown. They flaunt such a vast array of colors making them very difficult to resist!

Current tank specs:
Rimless 75/G Planet (48x18x21)

Area of strength in the hobby:
Plumbing, New Tank Builds, Marine Parasites and Treatment, Anemone Treatment, DIY, & Helping New Reefers.

About Me:
I was born in Texas and moved to California at an early age and attended school there. I learned to surf there and this became my first passion. I moved back to Texas and kept my passion alive as I chased Hurricane swells from Texas to Florida. I’ve traveled to several foreign countries to surf large waves.

I married my beautiful wife (Veronica) in March of 2017. We’ve got a baby girl arriving around April 29th of this year! I have 2 sisters. The oldest works here with me in the Medical Center of Downtown Houston. She is a Nurse Practitioner and I’m a Respiratory Therapist. My youngest Sister still lives at home. No pets- other than my fish.

Like many of us, my addiction for the hobby started at an early age. I was about 8 years old (1986). My mother kept various smaller aquariums while I was growing up. My uncle also had some large freshwater aquariums with several sizable Oscar’s that really grabbed my attention. When we visited him, I’d always gravitate directly to his tanks. Fast-Forwarding to my early college years (2001) and I got my first taste of saltwater! My friend Jake (whom I surfed with) had a reef tank in his apartment. Being surfers we are naturally drawn to the ocean. His aquarium truly fascinated me. Shortly after that, I decided to buy my own tank (65/G). I figured I’d start w/ freshwater since I was told (by multiple people including the store owner) that SW tanks were much too difficult and expensive to keep. In about two weeks I converted that FW tank to SW and made all the classic rookie mistakes. HOB filters, no sump, cheap equipment, weak flow, and poor lighting. Later on, I joined several reef forums and the information I was able to obtain was astounding. I now felt empowered and the journey began! I became a “Reefahholic”, but now days I just consider myself a Reef Junkie! If you like, you can check out my YouTube Channel called “Reefahholic - Reef Junkie T.V.”

Abhishek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It is an honor and a privilege to be part of the Elite ReefSquad .

First Name:
Abhishek

Current tank specs:
85 gallon acropora only tank and a secret build in progress !!!!!

Someday my dream is to setup a 200 gallon non photosynthetic tank with automated feeding but needs a new house !

Build thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/finally-reef-tank-started-after-6-years.277366/

Area of strength in the hobby:

Well am just a student in the class of Reefing but my interest lies in Metal Halides , acroporas , specific wrasses of the Macropharyngdon, Halichoeres and Anampses family .

Favorite hobby outside reefing:

Photography with my old trusty Hasselblad 500CM , Leica M6

How long have you been reef keeping:
Been a while . I would say from 2002-03 although I gave up reefing for 6 years in the middle.

Been married for 3 years and extremely grateful to my wife for taking of my reef when I travel for 3 weeks a month .

Happy Reefing!

A0B5A5CD-5B3B-4F3C-A98D-920E0358B370.jpeg

0E11CA72-DAB1-43A2-B897-F5B5A18D18E8.jpeg

Last edited:

Abhishek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This post was Fantastic. Was like meeting each member of the team in person and seeing their creation, hobbies and commitments.

When you said “this post” I hope you meant mine :p
I knew someone would recognize the most hard working , most handsome and most knowledgeable Reef squad member !!!!

..... Ok that was a super cheesy joke !!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I knew someone would recognize the most hard working , most handsome and most knowledgeable Reef squad member !!!!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Name
Brian
View attachment 886994

About Me
I was born in upstate NY (Cortland). I have lived all over NY including Long Island (both counties), Manhattan and currently in Westchester County. I also lived in San Francisco.

Family
My wife Beth (married since 2004). Two beautiful daughters, Katie (11) and Molly (8). and Toby our rescued dog.
View attachment 886995

Username
I was given the nickname Caveman in college. It stuck so well few people knew my real name.

My avatar is a picture of a Moon Jellyfish. The photo was taken at the Aquarium of the Bay in Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco and doctored with a little Photoshop artistry. It is part of my R2R identity and will never change.

Year Started Reefing

Favorite Critters
Anemones, Clownfish, Invertebrates

Honorable Mentions
Cleaner Shrimp, Mandarin, Purple Tang, Tunicates and, if I had to pick, LPS corals.

About My Pets
Growing up we had freshwater fish, hamsters and a cat. I would also collect snakes, salamanders and newts around my neighborhood (there was a pond). As I grew older I kept several reptiles and freshwater tanks. In the early nineties a new college friend recommended I "graduate" to marine tanks and got me started with Martin A. Moe's books. Within a year I had three tanks running at once. At that time I also had a ferret, two iguanas and a red tailed boa constrictor all in a studio apartment. I ended up taking a job at a local pet store for a while to support my habit. The store had a large saltwater section and luckily, in the absence of an internet, I learned a lot there.

In the late nineties I moved to San Francisco for three years. Tired of moving animals several times, I found homes for them before I left. It was the only period in my life that I lived with no pets.

I returned to NY at the Millennium and met my wife. We bought a Betta fish and are on our fourth in 18 years. After we bought a house, I started running a freshwater planted tank. It was enjoyable, but I regretted not going marine. That tank sprung a leak in our living room and I took it as a sign to return to saltwater. You can read about that adventure in my build thread linked below.

Career
I work as a freelance Technical Director for live television, mostly news and sports throughout my career. I primarily do what a video editor does, but I do it live according to a directors call (and with a bit of engineering to coordinate all of my systems). One of the highlights of my career was working at Madison Square Garden with the NY Rangers and Knicks in 1994.
View attachment 887002

Other Hobbies and Distractions
I play several musical instruments. I enjoy writing. I am a sucker for math, science, space and philosophy.

Build Thread Link
I Received a Box of Rocks Today
View attachment 959873

_____
Where’s the rescue dog! He deserves a spot in the fam photo just as any child does haha

Abhishek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

When I showed my poor joke to my wife , she corrected me saying that I should put “hardly working” instead of “hard working” . Smart woman I say !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors