Meet the R2R Reef Squad Team

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by Crabs Mcjones, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

Well I guess I should say hello being a new member of the FANTASTIC group

Name: Keith

Year started reefing: Had a 10 gal seahorse tank back in 1990 but didn't know anything then, lasted about 6 months. Been in salt water constantly since 1992 with a FOWLR tank till 2017 when I decided to step it up to a Reef tank.

Screen name: Fudsey has been my gamer tag since the 90s

Current tank specs: Waterbox 135.4 won here on Reef2Reef ! ! !

Build thread: You can see the build HERE (Be forewarned, it's a long one) :)

A little about me: Married since 1991, no kids unless you count fur-babies. Started with fresh water tanks in the late 80s and wanted more. Tried my hand at seahorses but didn't know enough to keep them very long. Moved from Mass to NC in 92 and started salt there with a 45 later that year. Moved back to NH in 96. Kept my live rock alive on the trip back in a 10 gal with a battery air pump. Set up the tank as soon as we moved in. Kept a Lion Fish with a Marine Betta and a couple of damsels for around 5-6 years before the lion passed. Got a new tank after that with a 72BF tank around 2003. One of those Damsels lived to be about 17-18 years old before it died from a stupid mistake. Kept that tank going for almost 14 years until the center support cracked. Bought a 90 to replace that in short order to house my new adventure in salt, a reef tank. Would still have it if it wasn't for winning the Waterbox. Been gaming since the 90's and that's where we are.

Thanks for the invite :)

me.jpg

Weirs-09.jpg

Captain Quint, jsker, OrionN and 23 others like this.

2. Fin

Fin Tank Status: Still Dry R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Hospitality Award

Ok, I will play. I am honored to be one of the new Reef Squad kids on the block, so please allow me to introduce myself.

First Name:
    Gary

I live in Lake Charles, LA and have lived here most of my life. I was an Air Force brat, following my dad to exotic places such as: Grand Forks, ND, Topeka, KS and Riverside, CA. Oh, and I was born in Bermuda. My luck to have lived in Bermuda for 6 months and don't remember a thing about it. :)

Me and my wife, Dorothy. We have been together for 32 years.

Me&Dot-R2R.jpg

No kids, but we have these two furry kids, Sierra & Saber. They are pups here and are about 12 now.

Saber&Sierra-R2R.jpg

Why you chose your Screen Name / Avatar:
    Jimmy Buffett fan from the early 70's. Name is from his song, "Fins," plus I keep fish, so there is that. :)

The avatar is my Landshark Lager neon sign, taken at night. I actually was a past president of the local Parrot Head club for almost 10 years. We raised thousands of dollars for local charities and participated in a lot of community service projects, like road and waterway clean-ups. Annually collecting non-perishables for the local homeless shelter and tons of toys for the local TV station's Community Christmas Program.

Other Hobbies:
    Not many, really. I mostly tinker with my never-ending tank build, but I have two old cars that I enjoy playing with. The '79 ElCamino was my dad's that he left to me. I have had it about 8 years. The '79 Corvette is a survivor. Pretty much factory with only a little over 18,000 miles on it. I have had it about 25 years.

My79s2-R2R.jpg

I am also one of the Admins of Louisiana Reef Club and have been involved with it on and off for the last 10 years or so. @Humblefish (Bobby) is our heavy lifter / main guy there, but I lend my moral "old guy" support. :)

How long have you been reef keeping:
    My first saltwater tank was a 58 gallon Oceanic in 1983, so around 35 years in salt water. Dead coral decor and fish. This was long before live rock and "reefing."

Favorite Fish:
    My Copperband Butterfly. It is at least 10 years old. My aiptasia control!

Copperband.jpg

Current tank specs:
    I have a Reef Savvy 125ish (48 x 24 x 25H). It is still dry, but will someday actually see water.
    I also have a DIY Starphire 15 gallon nano that I made 6-7 years ago. It does actually have water in it.

My past tanks -
    Mid 80's I scored a brand new Oceanic 200 gallon for $300. I was a friend of a LFS owner that was going out of business and I got a great deal. He even delivered it. I know it is a funky looking tank by today's standards, but it was about the way most salt water tanks looked back then.

Funny story about this tank. Albert Thiel was a factory rep for Dupla in the mid 80s. He was in town at the new LFS, setting up the very first reef display I had ever seen. I got to talking to him and invited him to my home to give me some pointers on how I might be able to reboot my tank as a reef. He came over to my house after he was done at the LFS. I just remember him looking at the tank and saying something like, "No, this is all wrong." :)

a200.jpg

My first reef, which was built around 1999. Oceanic 75. Pic is from 2005. Yes, it was FULL! Tank perished as a result of extended power outage from Hurricane Rita in 2005.

Reef05=med.jpg

My Oceanic 140. Torn down in 2017.

140Best2010.jpg~original-SMALL.jpg

Current Build thread:
    Really long and no water yet, but if you are a glutton for punishment ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fins-reef-savvy-125.232030/

Area of strength in the hobby:
    Patience and longevity. :)

Anyway, I guess that was probably too much info, so I hope I didn't bore you to tears. Thanks for looking. Glad to be on board here and hope I can contribute in some way.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Captain Quint, jsker, OrionN and 24 others like this.
  3. davocean

davocean Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for the adding me to reef squad people!
    I get a gun and badge now right? :)

Age- 54

Got my first FW tank at age 7 and always kept a tank ever since. SW came into play when I was 21, that was 85 (I didn't feel old until I typed this!)

Screen name, basically all things ocean have fascinated me my whole life, Started surfing and diving when I was 12, got scuba cert at age 14, my hero growing up was Jacques Cousteau.

My primary interest has always been clown fish and anemone's, I'm fascinated by the symbiotic relationship, and I've had a lot of anemone's and clowns over the years in various tanks.

My present tank is a 120g, and sits on a stand I built.
    I'm a finish carpenter primarily, but I'm also a licensed general contractor.
    Wood work is something I'm equally passionate about, and while I rarely build for myself, I did take time to create something that fits me on this one w/ my octopus canopy I designed and built myself, along w/ stand, all African mahogany.

Years ago I helped out a radio DJ who got reef tank and had no idea what to do w/ it, next thing I know he calls me every morning to discuss reef critters and tanks, and then lead him into bosch tool spots, that was my big 15 seconds of fame known as " Dave the fish guy" on rock 105.3!
    This got me free Bosch tools and an intro to a local company that gave me tons of tanks and gear to beta test, so I've had a LOT of tanks over the years before finally consolidating down to what I have now.
    I've always done my best to help others w/out any expectations, once in a blue moon karma does reward me for this

My present tank is only 5mo old after moving and starting all over, has a ways to go still but I'm off to a pretty good start.
    I'll post pics that tank first, but also a couple of my past favorite tanks.

Thanks again for the add, now I can finally utilize my super powers of saving this planet, one fish at a time! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019

Hello all!

Name: Randy

Info: Age 60. Recently retired physician. Ancient degrees in biochemistry and microbiology. Been with my wife Raylene for 21 years; no kids between us, although she has a bunch of great kids and grandkids scattered to the winds overseas who we nonetheless visit frequently.

IMG_4212.JPG

My First Reef: For 5 years starting in 1987, I kept a 100g custom acrylic system from a long defunct company called Lahaina Aquariums, with all the 'modern' features including a wet-dry trickle filter, external countercurrent skimmer with limewood stone, and metal halide/actinic lighting. And even though some of the techniques are no longer considered optimal, the tank did pretty much thrive and with much less effort that I expend now, despite all the intervening advances. It did have one huge design defect though - Return water was directed to the surface as usual, but also straight through the bottom of the tank into a plenum beneath the coral rubble substrate, where it flowed from right to left. Which meant that the only thing keeping the tank from draining completely in the event of a power failure or return pump failure was a huge check valve. Sure OK Fine, unless the valve develops a buildup of organic microfilms and crud and sticks open next time the power fails. (Maintaining proper operation of this valve was a high priority! I never did have that catastrophe, but I came close once.)

Scan-181110-0001b.jpg

The huge slate blue palythoa colony, as well as many other critters there, I got direct from a Hawaiian diver. Many other large pieces like that Elegance were routinely available at shops. Unfortunately the stores at the time would also stock many creatures, including obligate corallivore butterflies, non-photosynthetic gorgonians, even basket stars, that we now know would have had little chance of surviving (and they typically didn't, for long) and that are rarely seen in stores or online at present. I did manage to get some corallivores eating frozen food though, including a beautiful Chaetadon plebeius that was one of my tank favorites for several years.

I sold the tank when I moved for work. The Seattle area, even though on the coast and offering great boating and diving, surprisingly did not offer much support for this hobby at the time, and I was also extremely busy with my new position, so I didn't get back into the hobby until just a couple years ago, when I retired.

Current Tanks: I have two Reefer 450s operational. The first has been up for 18 months, and is a fairly high energy low nutrient system that is becoming increasingly SPS-dominant. The second has been up for 8 months, and is also a mixed reef although more of a back reef environment, and with a large number of BTAs and other nems. I recently added a group of 23 young ocellaris clownfish from Sea&Reef (arrived in fantastic health, btw); we'll see if they form a harem or just wind up attacking each other as they get older.

IMG_5525.jpg

IMG_5529.jpg

Other interests: When I moved to Seattle, I got my SCUBA certification and spent the next 20+ years diving first Puget Sound on the weekends and then the world on every vacation, always looking for destinations with healthy reefs, abundant fish populations, and relatively few other divers. My avatar and below is a photo of me taken by a fellow diver in the Galapagos, cruising along next a very chill whale shark.

Whaleshark&me.jpg

I am a science and science fiction addict. I collect vintage movie posters and movie props, particularly of and from science fiction films. I also enjoy sport shooting and riflery. And as much travel as my aquariums will allow.

The Reef Squad is a great idea and it's an honor being part of it. I plan to help out any way I can. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  5. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman walks like a Midas Blenny R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Name
    Brian
    Boy.jpg

About Me
    I was born in upstate NY (Cortland). I have lived all over NY including Long Island (both counties), Manhattan and currently in Westchester County. I also lived in San Francisco.

Family
    My wife Beth (married since 2004). Two beautiful daughters, Katie (11) and Molly (8). and Toby our rescued dog.
    E53D5CBD-1950-402B-A15C-AED1373792B2.JPEG

Username
    I was given the nickname Caveman in college. It stuck so well few people knew my real name.

My avatar is a picture of a Moon Jellyfish. The photo was taken at the Aquarium of the Bay in Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco and doctored with a little Photoshop artistry. It is part of my R2R identity and will never change.

Year Started Reefing

Favorite Critters
    Anemones, Clownfish, Invertebrates

Honorable Mentions
    Cleaner Shrimp, Mandarin, Purple Tang, Tunicates and, if I had to pick, LPS corals.

About My Pets
    Growing up we had freshwater fish, hamsters and a cat. I would also collect snakes, salamanders and newts around my neighborhood (there was a pond). As I grew older I kept several reptiles and freshwater tanks. In the early nineties a new college friend recommended I "graduate" to marine tanks and got me started with Martin A. Moe's books. Within a year I had three tanks running at once. At that time I also had a ferret, two iguanas and a red tailed boa constrictor all in a studio apartment. I ended up taking a job at a local pet store for a while to support my habit. The store had a large saltwater section and luckily, in the absence of an internet, I learned a lot there.

In the late nineties I moved to San Francisco for three years. Tired of moving animals several times, I found homes for them before I left. It was the only period in my life that I lived with no pets.

I returned to NY at the Millennium and met my wife. We bought a Betta fish and are on our fourth in 18 years. After we bought a house, I started running a freshwater planted tank. It was enjoyable, but I regretted not going marine. That tank sprung a leak in our living room and I took it as a sign to return to saltwater. You can read about that adventure in my build thread linked below.

Career
    I work as a freelance Technical Director for live television, mostly news and sports throughout my career. I primarily do what a video editor does, but I do it live according to a directors call (and with a bit of engineering to coordinate all of my systems). One of the highlights of my career was working at Madison Square Garden with the NY Rangers and Knicks in 1994.
    IMG_1692.JPG

Other Hobbies and Distractions
    I play several musical instruments. I enjoy writing. I am a sucker for math, science, space and philosophy.

Build Thread Link
    I Received a Box of Rocks Today
    F85B9A73-90A7-4767-A80C-66012B972A8D.jpeg

_____

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Ron Reefman, jsker, SPR1968 and 27 others like this.
  6. hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

First off let me say I'm Honored to be part of such a Great Community of Reefers!

Name: Jay

Us.jpg
    Favorite Saltwater Critters: Anemones and Clown Fish. Over the years I have never really paid attention to the Wrasse Species, but recently found a love for them. They are amazing Fish!

Year started reefing: I started my first fresh water tank when I was 10 years old. My Father was Military so we never really had a chance to set up anything for the long term, so everything simple and on the cheap. Back then it was the basic intro fish like Guppies, Tetras and what ever else was marked down that I toss in the tank. I dabbled in freshwater on and off over the years until our company relocated us from Kansas to North Carolina. My wife and I stared our first Saltwater tanks in 2012 with a 10, 15 gallon bow and a 29 gallon Biocube. Somewhere along the line we became hooked.

Screen Name / Avatar: Hdsoftail1065 is a combination of my old slug, 2003 Anniversary Edition Harley Davidson Heritage Softail and part of my Birthday. It is also used for several applications, gamer tag, old email and anything else that requires me to remember a user login. The Avatar is one of the Anemones in the Biocube along with one of our Picasso Extremes.

Biks.jpg
    Current Tanks - 32 Biocube and a Oceanic 144 1/2 moon. Going in back into the hobby after short break we purchased the 32 and upgraded the lighting. Our initial plan was a mixed reef but that plan went in a different direction when we introduced 2 RBTA's that decided to have a family of their own. Now we have a nice little 32 gallon Nem tank. The 144 (L 57.5 x W 29 x H 29) has been a slow build all by choice. Remember - Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I seen this tank years ago but at the timing just wasn't right. Fast forward a few years and I found this one still brand new with my name written all over it. It will soon be stocked with some corals. I'm still tossing around what direction I want to go with this one. Mixed, softies, etc, time will tell.

thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    Build Thread: Here

Career:- USAF Retired. / Aircraft Manufacturing

A little about us: Married 14 years to my best friend and feel blessed that we can enjoy this hobby together. You will soon discover I'm one of those guys that pays very close attention to detail...ok, maybe not, but I will NEVER forget our Anniversary! April 1st, who could ever forget that day! To this day she still doesn't know if I was kidding, but then again I still don't know if she was either. We have 2 children, daughter (28) Son (24). 2 grandchildren Keith (7) Addie (6) and 4 fur-babies.
    IMG_20180824_172715_1 (2).jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  7. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Name: Nicole
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Year started reefing: 2007
    Why you choose your user name and avatar: Lack of creativity I guess

Favorite fish: Definitely wrasses, specifically my c. Jordani (Flame wrasse) Also a huge leopard wrasse fan.

Favorite coral: SPS, though it’s a love-hate relationship at times...

And a little about yourself: I’ve always had a great interest in ocean life and marine biology, but my SO is the one who introduced me to reef-keeping way back before our son was born. As it turned out, he is more interested in the tinkering and mechanical end of things...where I have a natural aptitude for managing livestock and taking care of the “hard to keep”. So, it worked out in that way. At R2R, I tend to hangout most in the fish disease forums where I seem to have the most experience, unfortunately

Besides reef-keeping, my biggest passion is horseback riding. I have a 4-year old American Paint horse I’ve been training and trail riding, named Chase. I also enjoy camping, hiking, visiting various parks and beaches, and of course hanging out with my kids and our three dogs, Titan, Parker, and Ben.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Build Thread Link:
    120g Standard Mixed Reef
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...120g-Standard-Mixed-Reef.301186/&share_type=t

8. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

9. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Name: Adam
    Year started reefing: 1992 (I think)
    Why you choose your user name and avatar: I'm an electrical and mechanical engineer by training, so it seemed fitting :)
    Favorite fish: That's tough... probably the melanurus wrasse. Awesome colors, lots of personality and a useful fish in the tank
    Favorite coral: Zoas! My tank was zoa dominant prior to the crash in October, 2017. I was having issues with them beforehand and those seem to be persisting since my reboot so I've stopped buying them. I'll get back into them eventually.
    And a little about yourself: Let's see... I'm married to my high school sweet heart, Katie and we have two kids Zoey (6) and Adelynn (2). I'm an engineer by degree, but I've been a bit all over the place in my career. I've made autonomous vehicles that fly, swim, drive, and float. (Everything but space) My last project, before changing roles was running the autonomy team for an underwater inspection vehicle.

After that I moved on to become the deputy chief scientist for the company. I ran programs all over technoverse from quantum computing to nuclear batteries. It was a fun job and I got to travel the world doing it. Family obligations and the itch to do something I could call my own drove me into my current role.

I launched a startup (Pression) in August, 2018 and have been working that full time since. Who needs a paycheck, right? We're developing an intelligent compression system for athletic recovery. (It's super cool and works amazingly well!) Outside of Reef2Reef, I'm also the president of the Delaware Reef Club and enjoy getting together with the local folks, talking tanks and building projects. I'm a member of an awesome makerspace, NextFab, so we put together some cool DIY projects as a result.

Build Thread: I haven't started one for the reboot yet. I need to do that...

10. PDR

PDR <°)))>{ R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Name: Preston

Year started reefing: 2015

Why you chose your user name and avatar: I wish I had a great story behind my username, but it's just my initials. My avatar is (currently) of my Copperband Butterflyfish. I sometimes switch it out to a picture of one of my other fish.

Favorite fish: Very hard for me to narrow it down to just one, but out of all the fish I have had, I miss my helfrichi firefish, pink bar gobies, midas blenny, and orange spotted blenny the most. I also love wrasses.

Favorite coral: Probably my pulsing sinularia (or lobophytum depending on who you ask), but I really love most soft coral.

And a little about yourself: I am happily married to my wife Rebekah and we have an 11 month old son named Landon. We enjoy going for drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway and visiting the Georgia Aquarium when we can. I enjoy anything sci-fi and love listening to audiobooks while I work. I am a professional horologist by trade.

Build Thread Link: PDR's RSR 350 Build

Edited-0056.jpg

IMG_2820.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  11. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019

I consider myself to have a fairly substantial vocabulary and also I'm not young, but I did not know this word. Kudos Sir, for something new!

12. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

@PDR, do you repair time pieces?

13. PDR

PDR <°)))>{ R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I do! :) Just mechanical clocks though, no watches or battery operated stuff. This is my typical view when I'm in the shop.

IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpeg

Let's just say the appeal of legos wore off a long time ago lol

14. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

That’s very cool! I can truly appreciate that kind of work!

I started out when I was young making forceps for cataract surgery. Became a journeyman instrument maker and a production supervisor. Company ive work for now, I became a lead repair technician of general and endoscopic instruments and now repair ridged optical scopes for almost two years. 30 years with surgical instruments now.

15. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

Preston @PDR - very cool profession. I actually have an old clock I've had forever that I was told was a rare seven-chime something or other. A couple of years ago The Antique's Road Show was near me so we got tickets and I took the old thing thinking I had a hidden jewel. Turns out it wasn't so hidden and not much of a jewel...lol. But the old guy in front of me ended up making the show with some incredible looking clock that apparently was hidden and a jewel. I overheard them say the thing was worth well in to the five figures!

16. hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

My father repairs mechanical clocks as well and has been doing it as long as I can remember. One of his many talents used to supplement his military pay when my brother and I where growing up. I have tried but I don't have the eyesite, hearing nor the patience. Over the years he has aquired some beautiful pieces simply because they quit running and people didn't want to mess with them, most of the time it was nothing more than a simple cleaning to get them running. At one point he had over 80 in his collection and he spent years trying to sync them to chime at the exact time, which he never accomplished. Every hour sounded the opening of a Pink Floyd tune.

17. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Are those Spacely Sprockets or Cogswell Cogs?

18. Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman Lets Go Snorkeling! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I'm happy to be accepted into the Reef Squad and I'll do my best (as always) to help answer reefing questions and to keep adding real life into the forums.

Name:

Ron (bet you could have guessed that!) This is me and my wife, Elaine, doing one of our favorite things, snorkeling in the Florida Keys!
    Ron and Elaine snorkeling.JPG

I’ll be 70 in April. So I think I'm the oldest Reef Squad member? I know I’m just a bit older than Lasse.

Year started reefing:
    2004 I wanted to bring a bit of my snorkeling addiction into our home. Five years later I had 4 tanks! Now I have a 40g cube that is wall to wall zoas and RFA’s.

Why you choose your user name and avatar:
    The user name just seemed logical to me. And the avatar is me in the Florida Keys holding a rare 4 leg Bahamian Star.

Favorite fish:
    Any fish that has bright colors. I seem to like juveniles that end up maturing into dull looking fish. Like this young damsel on a reef in Belize.
    Dansel in Belize.jpg

Favorite coral: Favorite invert:
    Any coral that fluoresces colors well, but mostly zoas now.
    FTS of my 40g cube.jpg

Favorite invert:
    The most colorful rock flower anemone I can find! I have 30+ in my tank now, but most of them are very small babies (only 2 months old).

And a little about yourself:
    I love to learn about almost anything. I used to be a serious adrenaline junkie, but I’m slowing down now that I’m starting to mature! I flew small planes (Cessna 150 Aerobat), I raced sports cars all over the Midwest, I snow skied a lot, I was willing to try most anything adventurous. Current loves (besides my wife, our cat and my reef tank) are Formula 1 racing, snorkeling, beach walks, auto-x, astronomy, photography, science fiction, my hot rod Miata (450+hp), college football, volunteering as a Shell Ambassador on the beaches of Sanibel, ECHL hockey, and… well, you get the idea!

My favorite race car, my 1987 Toyota MR2.
    Ron at the SCCA Championships.jpg

My current hod rod, a 2008 Miata with a turbo charged Ford 2.5 liter making 450+ horsepower.
    Hot rod Miata.jpg

My daily driver and 2018 C Street auto-x winning car, a 2017 Toyota 86. And the car on the beach at sunset.
    2018 C Street winner.jpg Toyota 86 on the beach.jpg

Me as a Shell Ambassador for the Bailey Matthews National Shell Museum on Sanibel Island.
    Ron as Shell Ambassador.jpg

I was born, raised and started work in Detroit, Michigan, 3M Co transferred me to Columbus, Ohio at age 32. I became self employed at age 46 and moved to SW Florida at age 50. Retired at age 62 and the last 8 years have been the best of my life (not that the first 62 were anything to sneeze at)!

I’m married to my 3rd wife and I am her 3rd husband. We both understand how important communication is (from lessons we learned the hard way). And at 15 years (+3 years of dating) we’ve only had one ‘raise your voice’ argument. And that was about getting her to retire!

Link to build thread:
    In my signature below along with a couple of other threads that are important to me.

19. Reefahholic

Reefahholic Reef Junkie T.V. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

First name: Jared

Started Reef Keeping: 2003

Why you choose your username:
    Back when I choose my username I was a little out of control. I had multiple tanks running and honestly felt like a Reefahholic. Why did you spell it with two h’s? At the time there was another Reefaholic running around so of course we couldn’t have the same name.

Favorite fish:
    Yellow Tang, Regal Tang, Designer Clownfish, Female Vermiculite Wrasse, Bicolor Dottyback, Adult Atlantic Blue Tang, Anthias, Skunk Clownfish, Copperband Butterflyfish, Bicolor Damsels, Blue Damsels, Blue-Green Chromis, Starry Blenny, Molly Miller Blenny, and the list goes on.

Favorite coral:
    I’ve always liked fluffy LPS coral. I also enjoy SPS and Softies. I’m a mixed reef guy. Here lately...my addiction for different Acropora pieces has grown. They flaunt such a vast array of colors making them very difficult to resist!

Current tank specs:
    Rimless 75/G Planet (48x18x21)

Area of strength in the hobby:
    Plumbing, New Tank Builds, Marine Parasites and Treatment, Anemone Treatment, DIY, & Helping New Reefers.

About Me:
    I was born in Texas and moved to California at an early age and attended school there. I learned to surf there and this became my first passion. I moved back to Texas and kept my passion alive as I chased Hurricane swells from Texas to Florida. I’ve traveled to several foreign countries to surf large waves.

I married my beautiful wife (Veronica) in March of 2017. We’ve got a baby girl arriving around April 29th of this year! I have 2 sisters. The oldest works here with me in the Medical Center of Downtown Houston. She is a Nurse Practitioner and I’m a Respiratory Therapist. My youngest Sister still lives at home. No pets- other than my fish.

Like many of us, my addiction for the hobby started at an early age. I was about 8 years old (1986). My mother kept various smaller aquariums while I was growing up. My uncle also had some large freshwater aquariums with several sizable Oscar’s that really grabbed my attention. When we visited him, I’d always gravitate directly to his tanks. Fast-Forwarding to my early college years (2001) and I got my first taste of saltwater! My friend Jake (whom I surfed with) had a reef tank in his apartment. Being surfers we are naturally drawn to the ocean. His aquarium truly fascinated me. Shortly after that, I decided to buy my own tank (65/G). I figured I’d start w/ freshwater since I was told (by multiple people including the store owner) that SW tanks were much too difficult and expensive to keep. In about two weeks I converted that FW tank to SW and made all the classic rookie mistakes. HOB filters, no sump, cheap equipment, weak flow, and poor lighting. Later on, I joined several reef forums and the information I was able to obtain was astounding. I now felt empowered and the journey began! I became a “Reefahholic”, but now days I just consider myself a Reef Junkie! If you like, you can check out my YouTube Channel called “Reefahholic - Reef Junkie T.V.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rkpetersen

This classic song
    , specifically. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted