View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First name: Jared

DOB: 07/30/78

Started Reef Keeping: 2003

Why you choose your username:
Back when I choose my username I was a little out of control. I had multiple tanks running and honestly was a Reefahholic. Why did you spell it with two h’s? At the time there was another Reefaholic running around so of course we couldn’t have the same name.

Favorite fish:
Yellow Tang, Regal Tang, Bicolor Dottyback, Atlantic Blue Tang, Anthias, Skunk Clownfish, Copperband, Bicolor Damsels, Starry Blenny, Molly Miller Blenny, and the list goes on.

Favorite coral:
Acropora

Current tank specs:
Rimless 120/G Planet (48x24x24)

Area of strength in the hobby:
Plumbing, New Tank Builds, Marine Parasites and Treatment, Anemone Treatment, DIY, & Helping New Reefers.

About Me:
I was born in Texas and moved to California at an early age and attended school there. I learned to surf and that became my first passion. I moved back to Texas and kept my passion alive as I chased Hurricane swells from Texas to Florida. I’ve traveled to several foreign countries to surf large waves.

I married my beautiful wife (Veronica) in March of 2017. I have 2 sisters. The oldest works here with me in the Medical Center of Downtown Houston. She is a Nurse Practitioner and I’m a Respiratory Therapist. My youngest Sister still lives at home. No pets- other than my fish. My daughter (Maleah) will be born in April.

Like many of us, my addiction for the hobby started at an early age. I was about 8 years old (1986). My mother kept various smaller aquariums while I was growing up. My uncle also had some large freshwater aquariums with several sizable Oscar’s that really grabbed my attention. When we visited him, I’d always gravitate directly to his tanks. Fast-Forwarding to my early college years (2001) and I got my first taste of saltwater! My friend Jake (who I surfed with) had a reef tank in his apartment. Being surfers we are naturally drawn to the ocean. His aquarium truly fascinated me. Shortly after that, I decided to buy my own tank. I figured I’d start w/ freshwater since I was told (by multiple people including the store owner) that SW tanks were much too difficult and expensive to keep. In about two weeks I converted that FW tank to SW and made all the classic rookie mistakes. HOB filters, no sump, cheap equipment, weak flow, and poor lighting. Later on, I joined several reef forums and the information I was able to obtain was astounding. I now felt empowered and the journey began! I became a “Reefahholic”, but now days I just consider myself a Reef Junkie! If you like, you can check out my YouTube Channel called “Reefahholic - Reef Junkie T.V.”

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thrilled with the opportunity to help people be better people, be better stewards of their part of nature, and promote conservation through better fish/reef keeping.

Name:
Bruce

Year started reefing:
I have been keeping saltwater fish since about 2004. I have been keeping freshwater fish and invertebrates on and off for 40 years and seriously for nearly 20 years.

Why I chose my user name and avatar:
My user name is the watershed where I live in and my current avatar is an invert that I met while collecting fishes in Tampa Bay.

Favorite fish:
My favorite saltwater fish is probably one of the unusual species of clownfish and I also enjoy freshwater, brackish, and saltwater killifish.

A little about myself:
In the early 2000’s I was tired of the seemingly continuous cycling of getting fish, losing fish, getting fish, losing fish, storing the tank, setting up the tank, getting fish, losing fish, getting fish, losing fish…. I decided it was time to go big or stop keeping fish. At about that time several fish tanks showed up and I took that as a sign to go big. I started working with a wide range of fish and several years later I now maintain about 30 tanks and I have had about a hundred different species of fish breed in my tanks (a mix of freshwater and saltwater). I have always been fascinated with nature – I am active with various aquatic and conservation organizations and am a Certified Florida Master Naturalist.

Career:
In addition to being a military veteran, I am a social scientist and have a wide range of business and educational experience.

(pictures to follow eventually)

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name: Patrick

Why did you choose your user name: I used the top 3 letters of my first and last name, not because I’m a narcissist. LOL

Current tank specs: Rimless RS Reefer 625xxl - 165G SPS Dominate Reef

Build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/625xl-reefer-build.604033/

Area of strength in the hobby: I read A LOT. I get completely lost on the forums and web during my free-time. A great deal of my knowledge has been centered around fish disease prevention and treatment. I find it all so fascinating! More recently I’ve been diving into the science behind water chemistry and coral health.

Favorite fish: Conspicuous Angelfish. No doubt this has been my favorite fish from day one. I saw a picture of the Conspic on a book cover displayed at my LFS and research it. I found out how expensive they were and I never thought I’d have one in my procession :)

Favorite coral: All of them but I have angelfish so I stick with my mushrooms and SPS.

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Photography, reading, writing, working out, and dancing are my main interests outside of reefing.

How long have you been reef keeping: 16 years off/on, I started in the hobby when I was 17 years of age. My parents had freshwater aquariums with giants oscars when I was a kid, even then I thought saltwater fish were so much cooler.

About myself: I am happily partnered for 2 years and living in LA. He is very supportive of my reefing hobby but makes jokes about dressing up in fish costumes just to get my attention at home. I work in the restaurant industry which requires long hours so coming home and watching my aquarium to decompress and cuddling my pup is everything. I have a local reef club in west LA that keeps me busy and meeting cool new locals in the hobby.

My Family:

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.03.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.04.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.36.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.39.06 PM.png

My Fish Livestock:
Red Sea Regal Angelfish, Male Scribbled Angelfish, Conspicuous Angelfish, & Gem Tang

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 7.36.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.13.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.12.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 7.35.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.12.23 PM.png

My Reef Aquarium:

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 7.45.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 7.45.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 7.46.25 PM.png

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name: Mike.......but feel free to call me Mike.
81992375-C90A-4C5A-A4A5-8321292BB499.jpeg

Why you chose your username and avatar: mine, my wife's, and daughters first initial and our last name. My avatar is just a pic from my first tank of Bozo and his nem.

Favorite fish: I truly don't have a favorite, I just like having a lot that get along!

Favorite coral: Man, I just love my green sinularia!
34F5DC0E-CAD6-48C8-8186-AAE1A427EC37.jpeg

A little about yourself: Grew up in PA, in a valley in the Appalachian mountains. Wanted to see the world so I joined the Navy. Then worldwide ship repair, then a stint in the merchant marines. Saw 3/4 of the world! Then I met my wife and stayed put, kinda. We've been married 28 years and lived in 8 different houses, 5 different states. We have a beautiful daughter, granddaughter, and a great son in law.

Year started reefing: 2014 with a IM30L.
CFE858E4-C350-4D15-8CB8-F615D1A27FC5.jpeg

Favorite part of being a Reef Squad Member: Helping newer reefers find and understand different paths to solving problems........especially to understand that many times there are several paths. And then sticking with them until success is achieved! Priceless! And helping with community fish choices and compatibility.

Current setup: Red Sea Reefer 525XL..........very mixed! LPS, leathers, zoos, some SPS, gorg, 7 nems and a clam.
5EF719B6-CF84-4715-9A5E-7470B30ABFD3.jpeg

70573A94-C7C1-4BC2-85A9-D3C89F0FE2E9.jpeg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Name:
Dana

Why you chose your screen name:
It was something else until I forgot my password and no longer had the email it was linked to.

Current tank specs:
600g + 5x5x3 I like a deep tank

Build thread:
2 year old tank. http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/38910-tank-sump-build-500-gal/
New toy. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/20g-home-brewed-rock-nem-tank.665506/#post-6732642

Jack of all trades and a master of none, as in life.

Favorite hobby outside reefing:
I like being outdoors. I have some toys. I am down to 3 bicycles. Don't see the ocean and get wet as much now as when I lived in SF.

How long have you been reef keeping:
Seven years. Had a lot of fresh water stuff when I was younger. Did breeding and traded for credit at the many LFS in my area. Took a break then before moving decided to see if I could do a reef tank. The 125g went ok for 5 years so.....new house, fish room, big tank, but small wallet, being on the dole. Maybe Uncle Sam will give me a raise. So built my current tank and sump ( store bought was too expensive) and here we are.

A little about meself:
Retired and old. I break a lot now days, doing stupid stuff thinking im 20 years old. Moved to Texas from SF. 1200sq ft condo to 3000sq ft house with pool on acres. The stores to the chores (think Green Acres) I have a nice garden, some chickens. Working on hand feeding one deer who seems pretty tame.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Name:
John

I live on Suncrest Lane near Portland, OR. I'm pretty sure I have the only reef tank on Suncrest, though I do know of another reefer one street away.

Current tank specs:
Red Sea Reefer XL 425
IMG_7362.jpg

Build thread:
IMG_2764.jpg

Automation with the Neptune Apex

Windsurfing, snowboarding, hiking, cooking, guitar, tropical vacations, macro photography, astronomy.
7DB160DB-1231-4051-8E2B-1DCF4621DCFA.thumb.jpeg.1e9eef07d480a7d17f17ba03403b07b5.jpeg

21013778_10212042191043284_4315145571604073260_o.jpg
DSC_5645.jpg

How long have you been reef keeping:
Since 2018. My wife is a biologist and has a Ph.D in fish behavior (though she doesn't actually work with fish now) so I thought it would be a nice gift to get her an aquarium. Well, it turned into a passion for me and she just occasionally glances at the tank...Ha!
1968275878_ScreenShot2019-08-19at11_57_48AM.png.0649bcab33e2e903c269b3ac4071d06b.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 2.39.15 PM.png

A little about meself:
I'm retired after 30 years in the IT industry, so I have a long background with computers, networks, and automation. I applied those skills to my reef tank and highly automated it with an extensive Neptune Apex system. Since I have a knack for programming, I wrote an 8-part Apex Programming Tutorial series here on R2R and do my best to help solve Apex issues for other reefers. My wife & I don't have any kids, but we treat our English Lab named Cooper like our own child.

20431559_10211886031579395_7470899307925716102_n.jpg

22048080_10212302648874567_5728782087528810629_o.jpg

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want to step on John’s great day. Forgot I never posted In here.

First Name:
Scott

It’s should be pretty obvious. They really do rule

Current tank specs:
180 part mixed reef and fowl (still on the fence :D ), 90 new build not sure what I want to do with it

Build thread:
Main Tank Build thread can be found :

My 90 build thread can be found :

My Babies build can be found here:

Old school equipment. I don’t run controllers. Tank chemistry yes, disease, nooooo. Moving tanks yes.

Cooking, lifting, mma, motorcycle racing. What do I actually do now. Sitting and R2R :). I road raced an RZ 350 in the mid 80’s but didn’t have funds to really pursue anything. Bad crash sidelined me. Did a little amateur body building in community college, tried to get a pro card but didn’t make the cut.

(had to hold this like 15sec. (Girl at the gym kept messing up the pic:rolleyes:)

6D5A2503-9465-49B9-A5CC-4DA4422948AE.jpeg

How long have you been reef keeping: Started around mid-late 80’s, fresh water. One of some of my first tanks included a crayola. Then working as a cook at a restaurant a friend had a tank, got me interested. He had a 55 and I thought it was huge.

1595029508833.jpeg
(Not mine, but same color)

This was my 180 befor just as the Dino Set in. I had some health issues and tank was severely neglected. Dino and other things killed it. Still have residual health stuff, trying to get the tank back

3349ACEB-1437-4DD0-87E5-683285CA2993.jpeg
FB17C805-73AC-4A2A-AB41-2EC10C2C2C6F.jpeg
F7A64B84-4FA4-43A0-ACD1-0A929B530406.jpeg
6C58FFAC-8CF2-4D0F-BB8A-81F5F2BE8650.jpeg
96B62D14-C864-4EFA-8B74-7761EBEAE90E.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! Thanks for the invite

About me: I’m Scott. 35 years old. First saltwater tank was 20 something years ago. Born in Southern Illinois and raised in Honolulu Hawaii. Been living in Hong Kong for 7 years now. Love it here. Reefers paradise. We’re basically a big city on the ocean. I live on an island and have lots of places to go to see fish and corals. Married for 10 years. Have two boys aged 7 and 3. I run a local reef club with about 60 members. We collect zero money from members and run contests and give free stuff away just to show our appreciation.
3AEC716F-6B03-49BD-BB9B-B13F9990477F.jpeg

Reefing: I used to collect my own fish and corals from the ocean in Hawaii. Lots of great tide pools. Learned my way through this hobby by making lots of mistakes. No great forums back then. Kept tanks off and on since then. I’m not one of the freshwater-turned-salt guys. I know absolutely nothing about freshwater.

Arch nemesis: @Mastiffsrule

Current setup: RS 500 peninsula (130ish gallons). Mixed reef. Chromis, tangs, foxface, hawk, blenny, blah blah. Nothing special. As of now tank is new. Decided to upgrade and consolidated two tanks into one. Running Orphek V4 and T5. T5 is a mainstay in any of my setups. Pretty sure if I went MH again, I’d still find a way to throw T5s on.

Hobbies: surfing, beach bumming and reefing.

Strengths and weaknesses: I like ID’ing corals and other inverts. Keeping fish and corals is my strong suit. I frag weekly some freebies for my reef club I run. Weakness is fish parasites and treatment. (Hate me, but I’m a no QT guy but I stay far away from this topic)

B08EC32D-1986-4669-B672-48631FDBBE8D.jpeg

Edit: this pic is photoshopped. I look way more horrible in person.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little late to filling this out.

First Name:
Brandi

When you started reefing/ How long have you been reef keeping:
I have only kept my own tank for a little over 2 years, but I have been involved in many ways before that. I minored in geophysics in college, which had a heavy emphasis on ocean chemistry. As part of that minor, I was able to intern at the Ga Aquarium as well. I worked in a tissue culture lab, where we did a little work on Fiji red algae, but mainly plants. I also did a short stint in a lab that was extracting antibiotic factors from Devil ray mucous (RIP Dr. Bodine). I am probably forgetting something from over the years.

Why you chose your screen name/avatar:
First initial middle name. I had just switched from fresh to salt, and the LFS was telling me things I did not believe, like that I was seeing nitrate in 2-3 days because I bought live rock and sand which meant it was close to an insta cycle. Was looking for evidence that they were wrong. I never experienced a true ammonia cycle in that tank. So I honestly did not put a lot of thought in it when I made the account. If I had, I would have chosen B the fountain or FiyahDancer. I have a picture of me. I think the internet can be impersonal sometimes, so I like to see the face of the person I am talking to.

Favorite Fish:
Clown Trigger

Favorite Coral:
Bejeweled Favites.

Current tank specs:
60 gallon mixed cube, 15 gallon zoa peninsula, in the process of ordering a 150-ish gallon LPS tank

Build threads:
60 gallon cube: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bleighs-60-gallon-cube.613323/
15 gallon tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/waterbox-mini-penn-15.752808/
Dream SPS tank (not in the works yet, but a girl can dream): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thoughts-in-progress-my-big-tank.592093/

Simplifying confusing concepts, community dynamics (of the humans participating in the hobby), helping people find the information within their own tanks to get better answers, basic reefing info for novices, logistics.

Reading, gaming, ashtanga yoga, indoor plants, and gardening

A little about yourself:
I love goofing off and making people laugh. I think I am hilarious. I am a quintessential nerd though, so my humor is often missed. I have learned that if I laugh, most people will join in. I teach science teachers and am generally fascinated with all aspects of science. I think science literacy is super important for innovation, critical thinking, problem solving and creativity. Working to increase that for everyone is one of my driving forces. I am currently working on my PHD in science curriculum and I teach at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I have been married for 10 years to a super supportive man and have a 7 year old high-energy, brilliant little boy.

IMG_9792.JPG

IMG_9683 2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back