Meetings

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try to load a picture again. Don't know why it did not upload.
IMG_2009.JPG

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to Tomoko Schum for hosting and for everyone that brought something to share.
H@rry I am really looking forward to seeing your frag grow out in my tank.
97870ae1d555f1b7068101d6e60732ae.jpg

Never-mind all the cyano in the picture. I am going through an ugly phase in my tank (getting rid of some type of micro hair algae) and the cyano is a byproduct of the DinoX treatment. Things should hopefully balance out soon...

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I saw this post on FB a few minutes ago and clicked over here....a few hours too late I set myself a reminder to check back for the February meeting. Would love to come and meet you all, I met Harry at Rising Tide's brew & frag fest a while back (got a pulsing Xenia from him). This sounds like fun & educational at the same time, I'm 2 years into my 75 gal & still quite the novice.
Welcome to the club. Please join us next time :)

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting rid of some type of micro hair algae

Some of you were curious about the sea hair that we mentioned. Here is the picture of a Dolabella sea hair. This ugly little creature is the one of best algae removers.

dolabella-sea-hare5.jpg

Last edited:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I saw this post on FB a few minutes ago and clicked over here....a few hours too late I set myself a reminder to check back for the February meeting. Would love to come and meet you all, I met Harry at Rising Tide's brew & frag fest a while back (got a pulsing Xenia from him). This sounds like fun & educational at the same time, I'm 2 years into my 75 gal & still quite the novice.
We will be honored to have you attend

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you were curious about the sea hair that we mentioned. Here is the picture of a Dolabella sea hair. This ugly little creature is the one of best algae removers.

dolabella-sea-hare5.jpg
How hard are they to keep alive? Are they appropriate for a newer tank if they have algae to consume?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dolabella sea hare eats a variety of algae instead of just one or two species like Lettuce nudibranch. It won't eat Valonia/bubble algae, which is a task cut out for Foxface rabbitfish. It is easy to keep the sea hare alive as long as you have algae. It is quite resilient and does fine in a newer tank. Once your tank is cleared of algae, you need to pass it to someone who can use it, though. Otherwise, it will starve to death. It won't foul up water with toxin like Sea Apple does, though.

The variety that my Japanese friends get in Japan tend to eat cyano. I have never seen one we get here in the U.S. eats cyano.

Photosynthetic Lettuce nudibranch that comes from the area where bryopsis is abundant is known to eat bryopsis but not derbasia. The one that comes from the area infested with derbasia is known to eat derbasia but not bryopsis. They look identical so you need to find out which algae the one you are getting eats. I have seen one happily mowing a strip of bryopsis in a local shop.

Dolabella on the other hand don't seem to care which one it gets. It ate a huge amount of Dictyota macro algae, too, when my tank got infested with golden dictyota. Dictyota is a pretty macro algae that comes in metallic blue, purple, gold, and greenish colors, but it is very invasive. I made a mistake of growing one in my 120 before. Nothing seemed to bother the algae except for Dolabella and short spine sea urchin. Together they ate all of the Dictyota. My 120 gallon tank was spic and span within a week.

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,
First of all I would like to thank Tomoko for hosting this first meeting.
Also, thanks everyone for answering and sharing multiples experiences.
Bob - Thanks for the white stuff...
Looking forward for next meeting.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like Narc (or me?) are more famous than I realized.
A work friend stopped me in the hallway and said he heard I was at an aquarium meeting last Saturday. Seems he is the one who drove Reilly to fishing and a member of their fishing club. When he dropped Reilly off, Tomoko offered the left over snacks and explained it was left over from the NARC meeting. She then mentioned beaslbob took the pork roast home with him.

The friend than said beaslbob? Bob Beasley.

And so the fame of NARC is spreading. LOL

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back