Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll shower before I come if that will help... :p

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so too; I have been watching videos all weekend and I have multiple ideas for my first reef tank.

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
believe me... originally it was going to be a nano 10 gal and now I’m selling the idea to the ‘boss’ to be up to 60ish gal.
:)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
believe me... originally it was going to be a nano 10 gal and now I’m selling the idea to the ‘boss’ to be up to 60ish gal.
You need at least 1 more gallon. Make it 160ish. After all, it is only a difference of one.....

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A 10 gallon nano is manageable although a bigger tank can be more stable. I started out with a 15 gallon nano reef years ago. It was wonderful and very stable, too. However, I ended up upgrading into larger tanks a number of times...

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be glad to hear multiple experiences; because of size constrains I don’t thing I can go more than 36ln wide.
I stop by Petsmart and I like the Aqueon 45.

However, I could start now with the 10gal...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be glad to hear multiple experiences; because of size constrains I don’t thing I can go more than 36ln wide.

My first tank was a 6' long, 120g system. It gave me some big advantages with fish but was not the easiest system to learn on. Making a mistake on a system that large was brutal. Its not like a 10g system where you can do a 100% water change if you have an oops. A 10g system would be much easier to learn on. And trust me, I had many self inflicted wounds. I keep a few frag skeletons near my supplies to remind me not to be dumb.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you can have a 45 gallon tank in the space, I would go with it. It makes the tank a lot more stable.

I recommend that you use an auto top-off system to keep the tank topped-off. I still use my old DIY ATO ($5 float switch + a free urine specimen jar for snail guard + $3 extension cord + $18 aqua lifter vacuum pump.) An ATO keeps the water level steady. A simple task of topping-off tends to get neglected with our busy schedule. This could be quite a detriment.

Bulk Reef Supply has a nice ATO kit : https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeeper-float-switch-bracket-kit-digital-aquatics.html
Click on the video tab right below the picture of the float switch kit. There should be a video explaining how to put together a float switch.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15 gallon tank used to be on the kitchen counter in the L-shaped corner of my kitchen. I hid my above-tank refugium in the cabinet above. I crammed a few things behind the tank, too. If you have a space to put a 20 or a 30 gallon tank on a st and, that would be great.

A year later I did my first upgrade. I had a metal stand for my 29G tank and a friend who used to be a NARC member made a three-sided wood enclosure for me to make it look like a real good wood stand inexpensively. We also built a clam shell canopy to house Power Compact fluorescent bulbs (this was before T-5 became popular.) Another NARC friend drilled my tank and I put a small overflow box with an exterior/modified durso stand pipe. I made a sump with a center refugium section out of a 20 gallon long tank and placed it inside the stand. Later, the same NARC friend also built my first small calcium reactor for me.

Picture115.jpg 29Gbulkhead-overflowbox.jpg

I think we can get NARC going again. It would be fun to do things together and help each other out.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started NARC one previous member stated to join I had to pay $50,000 in small bills. But he never collected. LOL

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started NARC one previous member stated to join I had to pay $50,000 in small bills. But he never collected. LOL

I think that was Mariner. Don't think you're off the hook though, it still outstanding and accruing interest @ 18%. That was about 1995 so you do the math!

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started out meeting at Pet Gallery (John's old store) after work on the 1st Thursday of the month. We did that a few times and then started holding meetings on Saturdays once a month. Did Mariner hosted the first Saturday meeting? Back then, Greenbean was only 16 and was not allowed to come to meetings unless it was held at a public place. When Mariner hosted the meeting at his house, Greenbean wanted to come so badly since Mariner's teenage daughters were going to be there, lol.

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny. This meeting may be all about old stories.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our forum used to be on Reef Central, but a number of our members managed to get kicked off. We had to move over here to R2R because of too many misfits.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And those misfits brought a lot of shame and embarrassment on NARC.
gee more than me? LOL

Funny how now balancing a tank with chaeto and not doing water changes is the new method. LOL

Last edited:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started out meeting at Pet Gallery (John's old store) after work on the 1st Thursday of the month. We did that a few times and then started holding meetings on Saturdays once a month. Did Mariner hosted the first Saturday meeting? Back then, Greenbean was only 16 and was not allowed to come to meetings unless it was held at a public place. When Mariner hosted the meeting at his house, Greenbean wanted to come so badly since Mariner's teenage daughters were going to be there, lol.
Gee. I didn't know John's old store actually had a name. Always called it Johnny's

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back