Meetings

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news.

Just contacted Brentagg and they have dowflake calcium chloride for $16.50 for a 50 pound bag. and it is in stock. Will have to check brand when I get it.

They are also shipping from Tn a 50 pound bag of magnesium chloride at some mysterious price. should be here next Tuesday. (this is the one that is hard to find Brentagg just takes the attitude they will but in on a truck and ship it here at no cost). Last time I ordered this it was ~ double the calcium chloride.

50 pound bags are enough to last 10 years or so. These along with baking soda and Epsom salts are used in the improved diy 2 part system to maintain calcium, alk, and magnesium.

See: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

For those who are unfamiliar with that method:

1. use calcium, baking soda, mag chloride/Epson salts to get calcium, alk, and magnesium in line. 400pp. 8-10 kdh, 1350ppm.
Note: this first time can need some really surprising amounts. My system (and others) had 800ppm magnesium and required literally 5 or more pounds of Epsom salts my old 55g.

2 mix gallon jars for calcium, baking soda, and magnesium.

3 When alk drops add equal amounts of the calcium and baking soda.
4 When the gallons of calcium and baking soda are used up dose (in my case) 300ml of the magnesium

This stuff is caustic. the magnesium chloride spilled on my old envoy and completely bleached out (total white) the carpet.

Actually if anyone other than me is crazy enough to get a 50 pound bag of calcium chloride I can just pick up one for ya.

Haven't checked but what was Sherman concrete on Plumber ave Madison used to have anhydrous calcium chloride (92%-96% pure) in 25 pound bags for ~$8 or so. But that was a decade ago.

If you have some old plastic 3 pound coffee can containers, Please bring them with lids.

Finally, just to compare the costs to aquarium products, I believe that kent turbo calc is anhydrous and one pound costs in the neighborhood of $20 or so. LOL

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomoko
I sent an email at work to Fred Bagnall inviting him with a link to this forum. He and Teresa may attend. I told him he doesn't have to bring anything.

I presume he and they are invited.

Have you posted directions yet?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more the merrier. Invite away.

I have posted my address previously... In case you missed it, it's 283 Old Overton Drive, Madison. My house is practically behind the Publix supermarket on County Line Road. Any GPS should find it without any problem. If you need additional driving directions, just PM me here or on facebook.

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started out meeting at Pet Gallery (John's old store) after work on the 1st Thursday of the month. We did that a few times and then started holding meetings on Saturdays once a month.

Met a guy in AC yesterday named Matt that may attend next week. Seemed interested and thought he would try to make it. I told him to join R2R and reply to this thread.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Cove gave NARC a very generous gift as door prizes: three Aqua Forest test kits (Alk, NO3, and PO4). We will have drawings for the door prizes: the three test kits, SPS frags (the courtesy of Harry's frags), and some zoa frags.

Although they offered to let me take those test kits to the meeting, I asked them to hold onto them. This way, you get to see the store (I know some of you have not been there yet) and they will have a sales opportunity. You don't have to buy anything. There is no string attached.

I don't have any raffle tickets to offer. I can give out small pieces of paper for people to put in jars or something unless someone has some real tickets on hand.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be fine. Everyone is welcome.

A correction:
The test kits that Aquatic Cove gave us might be this combo set:
http://aquaforest.eu/en/product-category/testpro/

I will verify with them.

It's a Cal, Mg, Alk test kit set. I still think we can give away the three kits individually rather than as a set. What do you think?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A correction:

I will verify with them.

It's a Cal, Mg, Alk test kit set. I still think we can give away the three kits individually rather than as a set. What do you think?
I think it is fantastic that you are willing to host this. Everything else is just gravy.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem.
I suppose that this is going to be an introduction meeting.
We should consider frag trading in a future meeting. Not a frag swap like Frag Expos or Codax thing, but a sandwich-bag frag trading type thing.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A correction:

I will verify with them.

The set would tie in nicely to the diy white powder I'll bring. LOL

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I lost my cell phone and it developed legs. So you try to contact me use house number 256 721 0971 or call verdell.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that some LFS's, including Aquatic Cove, are affected by the Fiji government 's ban on the sale of corals. AC's SPS section is quite bare right now although their LPS section is pretty full, and they have softies, zoas, and lots of fish.

So, it's a good thing, we have our club going with lots of captive grown corals in our collection :)

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's a good thing, we have our club going with lots of captive grown corals in our collection :)

I meant to say that it's a good thing that we have our club going with lots of captive grown corals in our collections. I am sorry that LFS's are impacted by the shortage. I hope we will get more corals from other areas in the future.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say that it's a good thing that we have our club going with lots of captive grown corals in our collections. I am sorry that LFS's are impacted by the shortage. I hope we will get more corals from other areas in the future.
Unfortunately, my system is so new it will likely be a year before I'm ready to join the sharing frag club. :(

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just called brenntag and the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride have come in. Will pick up later. Total for both bags is under $40. LOL
So bring your plastic or glass containers like a 3 pound coffee container with lids. You don't want this stuff spilling. Will also check if I have time to see if the redimix place a palmer has the 25 pound cal chlor. 10 years ago it was like $8 and that is anahydrous (92-97% calcium chloride)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just called brenntag and the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride have come in. Will pick up later. Total for both bags is under $40. LOL
So bring your plastic or glass containers like a 3 pound coffee container with lids. You don't want this stuff spilling. Will also check if I have time to see if the redimix place a palmer has the 25 pound cal chlor. 10 years ago it was like $8 and that is anahydrous (92-97% calcium chloride)
Followup: total for both bags was $38.70. I also stopped as Sequatchie concrete on plumber road Madison. The former Sherman concrete. I bought a 40 pound of calcium chloride anhydrous for $30. Which I will sell to anyone for $30 who wants it. LOL

Back