OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All full now? Was thinking you give it 4weeks once full with all the pumps running.
It is within just about 2 1/2" of being full. It will be filled by tomorrow Then the real waiting begins. I will have plenty to keep me busy setting up refugium and a couple of quarantine tanks that I want to do so waiting shouldn't be too bad.
IMG_3981.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shelf looks really good now painted. You could have made it a little bigger so it would hold a beer or whiskey better! I know that's not its function now but in a few years it will be as you stare into it!
It will definitely hold a 12oz. can.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a plywood tank in the 1990s and itching to do one again at some point. Been following your thread GL!!!!!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of this morning the tank if full:) so far so good not apparent issues. Just have to wait and see if everything holds. I have a motorcycle trip planned the week after next so I think the plan will be to just let it sit until after that and if all hold start mixing salt and adding sand.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of this morning the tank if full:) so far so good not apparent issues. Just have to wait and see if everything holds. I have a motorcycle trip planned the week after next so I think the plan will be to just let it sit until after that and if all hold start mixing salt and adding sand.
What kind of sand are you using?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a plywood tank in the 1990s and itching to do one again at some point. Been following your thread GL!!!!!
I've read enough of these threads to know that a plywood constructed tank is not in my wheelhouse just yet. I am fascinated by the process though. So who knows.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read enough of these threads to know that a plywood constructed tank is not in my wheelhouse just yet. I am fascinated by the process though. So who knows.
I'm mostly with you on this sentiment... though last year I built a plywood sump with a viewing panel in the front. It was actually pretty easy even though I didn't have much woodworking/carpentry experience at all. I know I went overboard on the epoxy paint (pond shield inside and out) but it gives me piece of mind. When I saw that the 50" span only bowed by 1/16" totally FULL I felt pretty good (no bracing). It's only ever 1/2 full as a sump anyway. So I do have confidence that I could create something in the 8 x 4' footprint range but I also understand that it's a different beast and would require bracing at the top and some type of framing. And it would need to be built in place which means I would need to move my current system (same location). Too much for me to plan right now but possibly in the next few years.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the mechanics have come along way. Apologies for the 'diversion' but here's what I built in 1995 .... has that 1980/90s look to it LOL.

2016-05-10 101932.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 hours full and so far so good. Now just waiting and watching but it sure looks good can't wait to have this thing stocked.
I did do some work today. I started building the shelf area over the sump that will hold the Refugium and the skimmer and the chiller if there is enough space.
Still needs more paint I should be able to get that completed tomorrow.
IMG_3986.JPG

Oh I also found this cool little corn snake out in the back yard today. He has been released.

IMG_3985.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get some good stuff done his weekend. I built a shelf that will hold some of my equipment. I'm still not sure exactly how everything is going to lay out but so far it will hold the refugium and the MRC Orca Pro 2 skimmer. I still need to do the plumbing for these units but right now I am waiting for the new pump I ordered from Reeflo. I had sent mine in for repair but they deemed it dead so they gave me a great price on a replacement. That should be here this week. I have used @Reeflo pumps for years now and they are a great company with great products.
I have my DDR and Trident on the shelf for now but I don't think they will remain there. I will most likely build them their own shelf. I painted everything with 3 coats of exterior paint and caulked the seam between the shelf and the wall. I will also clean up all that wiring. Right now the sump is temp housing for my Anemones and some other corals so I have a couple of my Kessil 360X lights on it. All of that electrical stuff will go to the wall behind the tank.
IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesom project of course.

Glad it's holding water for you. Where/what was the failure point last time?
Good question the failure point was at the bottom of the front glass right in the middle. The thing that's important right now is the timing. The leak started on the 3rd night after full. Tonight is the 3rd night after full so if there no water n the floor in the morning I will be very pleased.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question the failure point was at the bottom of the front glass right in the middle. The thing that's important right now is the timing. The leak started on the 3rd night after full. Tonight is the 3rd night after full so if there no water n the floor in the morning I will be very pleased.
Good morning! How is the floor looking?

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple things to update on. First The tank has now held for 1 week :D :D :D floor is dry. Confidence is growing by the day. No apparent issues at all.
Second I received a nice brand new Orca pump from Reeflo. I can't wait to get this thing running and see what the MRC Orca pro 2 skimmer can do. I think it will be a long time before I could possibly get enough fish to overload this skimmer. I am heading out of town Saturday and will be gone for a week so plan will be to add salt when I return along with heat and then restart the main circulation. If all goes well this tank will have fish by the end of May.

Attachments

• IMG_4005.JPG
    IMG_4005.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought that it maybe was a good time for an update, Great news the floor is still dry. Good news I have added salt (Reef Crystals). I will spend the next few days adjusting salinity to 34-35 and get the temp balanced. I will then fire up the circulation pump again and just let the water flow. Might have fish in it by next weekend.
IMG_4019.JPG

Everything looking good when I got home this afternoon after being gone for week.
IMG_4020.JPG

A little cloudy after adding salt mix. i do have 9 WAV power heads moving water to get all of the Reef Crystals disolved.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back