OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water has cleared nicely, Salt is at 1.025 and temp is coming up, currently at 75.5. Tomorrow I will add the sand back in and really cloud things up.
Over the next few days I will let the sand settle out and plumb the COR-20 pump that will feed the refugium and the skimmer. I will also need to get a plan together for the chiller which will most likely need to be upgraded. It did great on the 250 but increasing tank volume by 4 times I can't expect the same chiller to keep up. I also have to decide if the one COR-20 will also feed the chiller or should I dedicate an additional COR-20 for that. I do have 3 of them so that would still leave a backup and all 3 of these items really do not need a lot of flow. Actually less flow is probably better.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning all is well floor is dry salt is 1.025 and temp is 79. So I decided it was time to add Sand and created a sand storm. I used sand from the last go around along with 3 new 40lbs bags of Carib Sea Live sand. This should clear in a couple of days. I also added a few pieces of rock from my holding tank. Thought this would be a good time to get more good bacteria growing and needed to hold down the plastic sheets in the bottom when I was adding sand.
IMG_4022.JPG

BEFORE SAND
IMG_4026.JPG

AFTER SAND
The little guy in the pic below must have come off one of the pieces of rock. I have life in the tank.
IMG_4027.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is still cloudy with the sand storm but I made another step forward today. I fired up the Reeflo Hammerhead Gold circulation pump and so far all seams to be flowing great. I have to get the water flow meter hooked up but I would guess 4000-5000 GPH.
Also tomorrow is My Birthday so my wife bought me this nice Chair/Stool. Just so I am comfortable when I am watching the tank.
IMG_4031.JPG

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is still cloudy with the sand storm but I made another step forward today. I fired up the Reeflo Hammerhead Gold circulation pump and so far all seams to be flowing great. I have to get the water flow meter hooked up but I would guess 4000-5000 GPH.
Also tomorrow is My Birthday so my wife bought me this nice Chair/Stool. Just so I am comfortable when I am watching the tank.
IMG_4031.JPG
Buy her a matching one for her birthday! J/K but that is one thoughtful gift. Tell her we said so.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4031.JPG
Happy birthday! Is she subtly moving you out of the house? A Murphy bed coming next?

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really liking this tank. Its been full for over 3 weeks and no issues. Reeflo Hammerhead is moving water and the sandstorm is over. Water is crystal clear.
last night I moved over 100lbs. of old established rock from the sump up to the display. This is rock I have had for better than ten years. Most of the coraline is gone but it was covered so I'm confident it will come back fast. There are a few corals a couple of BTA's, mushrooms and some hermits. My fish are still in a quarantine for a few more days so they have not got to get into the display yet.
IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG
IMG_4039.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have not updated lately so here whats new. Everything is going great no leaks and no issues. Just working on getting a good balance in the drain line. Also just letting things mature.
I did have a great day today but a little bittersweet to benefit from others misfortune. A friend and fellow reefer found himself in a situation where he had to break down his tank for a while and do a temporary exit from the hobby. You know who you are THANK YOU again. He contacted me and asked if I wanted his fish and of course I said yes. So fish I have now in Quarantine or just holding because I have been traveling so much lately ready to go into the display.
Naso Tang
Yellow Tang
LT. Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Belly Blue Hippo
Flame Fin Tomi Tang
Vlamingi Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Magnificent Fox Face
2 Lyertail Anthias
3 Green Chromis
Coral Beauty Angel
Aptaisia Eating File Fish
Sleeper gold head Goby
Black and white clowns 2
Orange and white clowns 2
Malanurus Wrasse
Hermits
lots and large Turbo snails
5-6 Cleaner Shrimp
another 100lbs. or so live rock
About 8 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

So I think I have a really good start on some nice fish. I am heading to Florida tomorrow so all of these guys will remain in their temporary housing until the weekend.

Sorry no pictures right now By the time I got home and got everyone set up it was too late lights are off and most of these fish are in Rubbermaid stock tanks so no pics until next week.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have not updated lately so here whats new. Everything is going great no leaks and no issues. Just working on getting a good balance in the drain line. Also just letting things mature.
I did have a great day today but a little bittersweet to benefit from others misfortune. A friend and fellow reefer found himself in a situation where he had to break down his tank for a while and do a temporary exit from the hobby. You know who you are THANK YOU again. He contacted me and asked if I wanted his fish and of course I said yes. So fish I have now in Quarantine or just holding because I have been traveling so much lately ready to go into the display.
Naso Tang
Yellow Tang
LT. Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Belly Blue Hippo
Flame Fin Tomi Tang
Vlamingi Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Magnificent Fox Face
2 Lyertail Anthias
3 Green Chromis
Coral Beauty Angel
Aptaisia Eating File Fish
Sleeper gold head Goby
Black and white clowns 2
Orange and white clowns 2
Malanurus Wrasse
Hermits
lots and large Turbo snails
5-6 Cleaner Shrimp
another 100lbs. or so live rock
About 8 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

So I think I have a really good start on some nice fish. I am heading to Florida tomorrow so all of these guys will remain in their temporary housing until the weekend.

Sorry no pictures right now By the time I got home and got everyone set up it was too late lights are off and most of these fish are in Rubbermaid stock tanks so no pics until next week.

Sounds like everyone (including you) made it safely back last night. That's great news.
Misfortune for now, but like we talked about, I'll be better off in the long run for sure.
Thanks for being willing to take these guys on and picking them up in such short notice. If you notice any odd behaviors or anything let me know and I'll tell you if it's something I'd seen before out of them or anything.
I definitely hope to stop by and see them in that monster tank the next time I'm in that area visiting family and friends.

Last edited:

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad you found a good home for the fishes.

Also, don’t be a stranger.

Oh I won't be. As a couple friends have already said, once things are settled down and I'm ready to go, definitely setting another tank up.
I'll be posting a bunch of hardware for sale in the MTRC thread once I've cleaned it all up and stuff.
I'll

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back