Melanarus vs yellow vs leopard

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna get a few wrasses and want some input to help me decide a few things. Which of these would you get? Yellow, melanarus, or leopard. Forgive the spelling if it’s wrong.

kitpoon0315

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had all three and currently have both a leopard and a yellow. I think it just depends on other tank mates or if you're looking for a particular color mix. I chose my leopard and yellow to complement the rest of the corals in my tank which are mostly green and red.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have A couple clowns. Lawnmower blenny. Will probably get a tang, anthias, and a bunch of wrasses. I just like the way they look. I know the yellow is great for pest control and such. I might just get all 3. Will probably also have a fairy and a flasher or some combination.

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Might want to use a acclamation box when adding your new ones. I have had some beat up the new ones when added. And the leopard is prob going to be timid and pushed around easy. But wrasses are super awesome fish.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I’ve got so many caves, holes and hiding spots I think they should be okay. There’s even more small nooks and crannies than the pic shows. I had bad experience with 6 line adding another wrasse. But I’ve learned lots of people have had aggression issues from them. The more I think about it I’ll probably end up with quite a few of them. I just love how they look and swim. So why not.
3D72D350-971C-4D28-8047-D5E9AC4F925C.jpeg

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t get melanurus if you have a CUC they will tear up your hermits and snails

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love my leopard but for any leopard wrasse i suggest adding a bottle of copepods and waiting awhile for them to populate (a couple months) before getting it as they pick at the rocks all day for small crustaceans.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and always make sure it is eating prepared food before you get it, they are much more finicky eaters

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna get copepods early tbis time just in case any fish needed them. Figured it couldn’t hurt. Not sure I can establish them in my old tank. Too many fish to eat them and no sump.

kitpoon0315

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a melanurus with CUC for years with no issues. If it was me, I would introduce the flasher and fairy wrasse first before introducing the melanurus/yellow/leopards into your tank. I think I read an article somewhere here that indicates aggression levels and yellow/leopards/melanurus are on the more aggressive side where the flasher and fairy wrasses are less aggressive.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all 3, and a red corris, and exquisite fairy. All get along just fine.

An acclimation box is the key to success when introducing different wrasses to your "gang".

kitpoon0315

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's that brilliant article!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back