Melanarus wrasse eating cuc - advice

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I knew it was a possibility that my melanarus wrasse might eat my cuc and after being well behaved for some time it appears he is doing just that. I bought quite a few blue legged hermit crabs to clean detritus and some Cyano on the sand bed yesterday and today most of them are empty shelled. It’s a big bummer. I was wondering if there are cuc members that can do this work but won’t be appetizing to the wrasse? Or is my only option to rehome him or be constantly buying more cuc?

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Haloceres(sp?) wrasses are definitely capable of eating CUC. if your wrasse has decided that CUC is on the menu, I doubt if you are going to change his mind

I mean more so if there are cuc members that he is less likely to eat. For example, cucumbers

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are people too. They all have different personalities... And tastes. Seems blue leg hermits are definitely in the menu, but no real guarantees unless you try something else. You may want to stay away from hermits in general

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is always a risk with most halichoeres — I will say I’ve always found them worth the need to replace the clean up crew regularly :)

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @4FordFamily.....I have 11 Wrasses in my tank....4 of them are halichoeres....I have no clean up crew except for a few brittle stars and a urchin.....they are nocturnal so the Wrasses don't get to them. I haven't had a clean up crew in my tank in probably 3 years or more. I haven't had a issue with no clean up crew.

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and a puffer in my reef. I have a diamond watchman goby, a few conches, and a tuxedo urchin. None of them get bothered and my sand is spotless.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is always a risk with most halichoeres — I will say I’ve always found them worth the need to replace the clean up crew regularly :)
He is one of my favorite fish, so I am hoping to make something work. He’s another fish I took in that wasn’t doing super well at first and has really come around now. He’s fully healed, beautifully colored, and super personable. He and the clowns will stick their faces out of the surface of the water when I come to feed. It’s fun to watch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention also that he hasn’t went after (at least to my knowledge) my cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, or my urchins. The problem is really just my sand bed cleaners (hermits and some snails). My urchins are almost exclusively on the rockwork or the glass. I wish they would clean the sand as well!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallons. I have an orange striped prawn goby. I would love to add another goby but was worried there would be quarrels. Thoughts?
They should be fine together. A 75g allows each to have their own space.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back