Melanie is wrasse question

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinion on compatibility if I have a female Melanie is wrasse in a 180G tank, to add a slightly smaller male into that same tank? I do have multiple tanks so not a problem if they cant be in the same system, but would be nice if they have a chance to pair up.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not pair up. Your female will transition to male regardless if another male is present, it's just a matter of time. Best to keep two melanurus separate.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not pair up. Your female will transition to male regardless if another male is present, it's just a matter of time. Best to keep two melanurus separate.
Would tank size play any role? I will have them housed in a 550 G (4’x8’), curious if that’s enough room for them to establish separate zone and be at peace?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would tank size play any role? I will have them housed in a 550 G (4’x8’), curious if that’s enough room for them to establish separate zone and be at peace?
A tank of that size is in your favor, but there's still a chance that when they do cross paths they'll go after each other. I've heard of some people having success keeping a Halichoeres Chrysotaenia with a melanurus in very large tanks. They look very similar, but come from different oceans. Halichoeres leucurus is similar to melanurus too and I've successfully kept it with a melanurus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feed back, I might just keep them in separate systems.
one more question- thoughts on melanurus with sixline, again in the 550G?
I would say it should be okay but that is due to the Mel being much larger than the sixline, also the tank size being rather large, however I think after the six line you will be limited to aggressive wrasses such as mel, Jade, hornulatus ect…

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it should be okay but that is due to the Mel being much larger than the sixline, also the tank size being rather large, however I think after the six line you will be limited to aggressive wrasses such as mel, Jade, hornulatus ect…
I… do have a mystery wrasse too lol, I used to have mystery wrasse living with sixline just fine, wonder if I can risk it again

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back