melanurus wrasse sex

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking female, but the yellow around the gills... maybe male, or in transition from female to male? Thoughts?
FAC2FEFD-81F4-4AE2-B3D5-F31270E82A60.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference in terminal male and super male. I'm a bit confused

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When wrasse change sex, it is believe that initially they can reverse the change. Once they reach the point of irreversible then they are called terminal. The Supermale is the alpha male, the most dominant of the males.
This is only what ichthyologist thought. It can be wrong. Not all that long ago, they thought that the super males are the ones that was born males and other males are changeling from females to males. This seem very illogical to me but that was what ichthyologist believed about 20 years ago.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When wrasse change sex, it is believe that initially they can reverse the change. Once they reach the point of irreversible then they are called terminal. The Supermale is the alpha male, the most dominant of the males.
This is only what ichthyologist thought. It can be wrong. Not all that long ago, they thought that the super males are the ones that was born males and other males are changeling from females to males. This seem very illogical to me but that was what ichthyologist believed about 20 years ago.
So this would be a super male? Was with other males at the lfs for months.

IMG_0001.JPG

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They were in the same tank with no problem?
It was at a lfs so not sure. But most fish don't stay long. For some reason this one did. It's possible the other fish had to be removed or it was moved. It was being kept in a tank very close to the ground. When we got it there was another Mel in the tank. Just not as colorful.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supermales tend to have more "pink" striping and deeper blue/green color than males. Males for this species seem to turn to supermales over time. Whether this is because there are other wrasse present and they are dominant-- or for another reason, I am not sure. Mine have always eventually become "Supermale". Whereas, other wrasse may or may not make this transition in the absence of other males and dominance factors.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference in terminal male and super male. I'm a bit confused
There is really no difference. "Super male" sorta became a marketing term, stuck on terminal males with "better" coloration.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a terminal male also? Hes only about 3 inch.

fish1.jpg
DSCN0332.JPG
Probably?
Here's where things get subjective - it's all up to whomever is answering. There's no hard line between transitional and terminal male for visual ques.
I could argue the faint remnants of the tail spot make it not quite a terminal male, but that's getting really into the weeds of details.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male and was thinking about getting a female for him. no clue how that will go over.

Thomas.Pope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi People
I recently purchased a Melanurus and after watching how peaceful a fish it was I thought it would be nice to add another oh boy he’s/she’s far from peaceful
He won’t let the other smaller less colourful spotless one out of the sand
I’ll try to take a picture when I get home
But the smaller one is still a juvenile
Any ideas why it would attack it every chance it gets?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back