Mertens Anemone need host mates

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mertens anemone in my tank looking for clowns to host. Am I able to get any type of clowns or only certain breeds? Looking at Onyx Picasso Percula , Frost bite Ocellaris. I also have a Haddoni carpet nearby that need hosting pair. Would it be possible for clowns to host 2 different types of carpets in tank?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mertens anemone in my tank looking for clowns to host. Am I able to get any type of clowns or only certain breeds? Looking at Onyx Picasso Percula , Frost bite Ocellaris. I also have a Haddoni carpet nearby that need hosting pair. Would it be possible for clowns to host 2 different types of carpets in tank?
I’d say anything is possible but there are certain types of clowns more apt to hosting than others. I’ve heard and been told it’s difficult and sometimes never happens with some breeds especially more captive ones, but I got a blemished pair from LiveAquaria that host in some RBTA within a week so... claarki I think are good ones and I’m sure wild are a safe bet also.

As for them switching I’ve seen pairs roam around multiple nems of the same style/type but not sure about carpet and bubble tip or another variant. I’d say it’s possible. :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarkii will take to a merten or haddoni quickly. Others may take a little time more.

My clarkii go from mags, to haddoni to merten and bta all the time. The now female is 17 and the new male is captive bred one and it took about a week for it to build up a tolerance to the merten and the haddoni. Mags and bta are not near as sticky or potent.

I do have Ocellaris that go to a merten and a haddoni as well, but it took them forever. They didn’t take long to go a bta though.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns will absolutely jump from one to the other. I have had clowns go to the BTA and then swim over to the Haddoni, and back and forth. Tank raised can be tricky and may never take to an anemone. My Clarkii's however, took to my Haddoni almost immediately.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot. One trick is to stick a tablet up to the glass and reply a video of clowns bouncing in and out of nems. This has worked numerous times for myself and others.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a pic. But I have a video on my IG

Very close to my massive one.
575A21B2-4A17-43F3-8AD0-DFF22559D0B7.jpeg

OP
OP
johntdaballa

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns will absolutely jump from one to the other. I have had clowns go to the BTA and then swim over to the Haddoni, and back and forth. Tank raised can be tricky and may never take to an anemone. My Clarkii's however, took to my Haddoni almost immediately.
From the sounds of it percula is out of the picture! I'll look into ocellaris and clarki's

I’d say anything is possible but there are certain types of clowns more apt to hosting than others. I’ve heard and been told it’s difficult and sometimes never happens with some breeds especially more captive ones, but I got a blemished pair from LiveAquaria that host in some RBTA within a week so... claarki I think are good ones and I’m sure wild are a safe bet also.

As for them switching I’ve seen pairs roam around multiple nems of the same style/type but not sure about carpet and bubble tip or another variant. I’d say it’s possible. :)
Thanks for your feedback!! Luckily clowns are pretty easy to catch in the tank if it doesn't work out . I already have 2 clowns that's hosting RBTA . I would imagine these guys that host the haddoni and mertens wouldn't bother the already established pair .

GotCrabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot. One trick is to stick a tablet up to the glass and reply a video of clowns bouncing in and out of nems. This has worked numerous times for myself and others.
Wow that’s amazing but I have to ask, is this a real thing? If so, I have more hope when I get to that stage.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back