Mesh Top Material

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I'm in the process of putting together a new build. (woohoo!!) My current tanks are uncovered, and I've paid the price to the tune of 3 clowns, a clown goby, and Claus my liner blenny (losing Claus was the worst one ;Sorry) So with my new build I'm planning to make a DIY mesh top. I was wondering what material would be best. I know anything metal is automatically out of the conversation, is there something in particular I should be looking for? Would fiberglass screen be okay? Polyester? Those are the two non-metallic options I've found in a brief search. What are you using for a screen top? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: Totally unrelated, but Claus is a prime example of why I try not to name fish haha the ones with names are the first to go...

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mesh screens using BRS's nylon 1/8" mesh and basic window screen frames. I bought the frames through BRS, but local hardware stores should have the same materials available.

There are also many companies and individuals that make acrylic-framed mesh tops that can look really classy. They are usually custom-shaped cut acrylic pieces that are fused together with the mesh sandwiched in-between.

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mesh screens using BRS's nylon 1/8" mesh and basic window screen frames. I bought the frames through BRS, but local hardware stores should have the same materials available.

There are also many companies and individuals that make acrylic-framed mesh tops that can look really classy. They are usually custom-shaped cut acrylic pieces that are fused together with the mesh sandwiched in-between.
"classy" this aquarium will not be hahaha I'm planning on making my own frame out of PVC cut in half so that it sits on the rim of the tank. I'm thinking of titling my build thread "29Ghetto Build" lol

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum is salt safe? Or does BRS have some kind of coating on it?
I think the aluminum is anodized to keep it looking nice, but, regardless, I don't think aluminum corrodes away very quickly at all even in marine environments. Surface corrosion can cause it to look bad, but anodizing helps prevent this.

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah from very little research it looks like salt just oxidizes aluminum. I wonder what effects aluminum oxide could have on an aquarium over time though. Any insight on aluminum oxide in a reef @Randy Holmes-Farley?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back