[Meta] How do you define a cube?

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this forum (but far from new to reef keeping, I come from another forum). I am just starting a new aquarium build and was planning to start a thread showing the progress once I have a chunk into it (and there is something interesting to show).

It's an SCA 66gal aquarium, 30x24x20. I know those dimensions are not a cube, but I still feel like it might fit here best due to the large width compared to the length. It will have much more similar aquascaping concerns when compared to a 60gal cube than something like a normal 75gal.

What are your guys thoughts? Would you prefer to see a thread like this here, or in the Member Tanks section?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it's closer to a cube dimension than a rectangular tank. I vote, LET IT STAY! haha

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I define a cube as having the footprint the same. Height can be whatever. But purist will say all three dimensions must match blah blah. I'd say yours is cubish.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say a cube is 4 equal sides . Now it seems as long as the l x w is the same and not the height it's a cube . Ur kinda off a smidge but I still say join the fun . There are not a lot of said math cubes out there . It's gonna vary somewhere .
Maybe REV will allow a Admin or Mod to change the sub forum from club cube to "club cubish " .

Last edited:
OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for all the welcoming encouragment! I definetly have always loved cube's and I am very excited for my new "cubish" build.

I still have a few things to do before I start filling it with water. I have live rock that I have been curing/cycling for a bit over a month now in another tank. So I am hoping I will start a thread here in a couple weeks when I have something interesting to show everyone!

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the definition of a cube . A cube has 4 equal dimension.
With that being said. Aquarium makers know that it is not easy to get any cube that is over 30x30x30 into the house. Because of that, We generally do not see any manufacture making cubes that their heigh is taller than 24. So as long that the foot print has equal size then they call them cube tank in this hobby.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now how technical do we want to get here? Technically a cube has six faces which are all of equal dimension. Our tanks which have no tops are not reallllllly a cube, but that's big time hairsplitting. I would say that a cube in the aquarium space has equal dimensions for its base.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome, thanks for all the welcoming encouragment! I definetly have always loved cube's and I am very excited for my new "cubish" build.

I still have a few things to do before I start filling it with water. I have live rock that I have been curing/cycling for a bit over a month now in another tank. So I am hoping I will start a thread here in a couple weeks when I have something interesting to show everyone!

Did you get your thread started? Give us the link so we can follow! :thumb:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back