Metal Halide Reflectors

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick search and couldn’t find the answer to my question. While I like LED, everything I see shows too blue, even with whites turned up. So with that said, I’m looking at going with metal halides on my future set up. The issue I’m running into is reflector types. I see many that have the polished aluminum and then some that show like a hammered reflector look. Most of the hammered look are either cheaper and/or smaller reflector halide systems or designed for grow systems (I know not the same as aquarium use). So my question is which is best, the polished or hammered?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say polished. I assume you are going to be using DE (double ended) bulbs? I’ve only ever seen the textured reflectors for DE bulbs.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually haven’t decided in bulb style, but you are correct with the exception of the grow system halides, all the aquarium styles are textured for DE bulbs that I’ve seen

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually haven’t decided in bulb style, but you are correct with the exception of the grow system halides, all the aquarium styles are textured for DE bulbs that I’ve seen
Geeky stuff...
In a future article, we will present the results for the reflectors used with the double ended lamp

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is old of course and sadly you can’t find the lumenarc III anymore, except the rare used unicorn.

Yea I was going to add " history" to it.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. Those articles definitely helped out

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I would love to get a luminarc, as mentioned they’re a unicorn (unless there’s a unicorn here that someone has here???). Looks like I’ll be going with Hamilton. The question is should I get the in stock “Cayman Sun” or wait for the “Cozumel Sun”? Looks like difference is size. I’m planning on a 75-100 gallon anywhere from 18 to 20” wide and 18-24” tall. Seems like Cozumel I’ll have some significant light spill depending on width? Am I over thinking this? I’ve never used halides before

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I would love to get a luminarc, as mentioned they’re a unicorn (unless there’s a unicorn here that someone has here???). Looks like I’ll be going with Hamilton. The question is should I get the in stock “Cayman Sun” or wait for the “Cozumel Sun”? Looks like difference is size. I’m planning on a 75-100 gallon anywhere from 18 to 20” wide and 18-24” tall. Seems like Cozumel I’ll have some significant light spill depending on width? Am I over thinking this? I’ve never used halides before
With that tank you should be fine with the Cayman sun. It would probably be ideal. @A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now Hamilton has only 4 options for fixtures:
Bali Sun (175W, 250W and 400W) 15" X 11.75" X 5"
Cayman Sun SE (175W or 250W) 13.25" X 13.25" X 5"
Cayman Sun DE (250W and 400W) 12" X 12" X 5"
Cozumel (175W, 250W and 400W) is 20"X 20" X 9.5"
Only Bali Sun and Cayman Mogul are in stock at the moment.

I don't think there is anything wrong in having a Cozumel over 20"+ wide tank. The fixture is 20" X 20"X 9.5". I do like the spread the fixture gives, and I like the glass protecting the bulbs. The recommended distance from the water is from 8" to 10". It would work better for a wider tank though, like up to about ~30" wide, I guess.
I had a fixture similar to the Bali Sun that was 14 1/4 X 10 3/4" X 5 5/16" over my 55 gal during the 90's and worked great!!! Good 250W Iwasaki's time!!!

Honestly, best thing to do is first to decide the size of the tank you want to get, than you will find the best fixture to fit those measurements. Also, you need to decide if you want supplementation for the halides and how you're going to install.
Get that tank figured out and decide your fixture. Call Hamilton and tell them what you are planning to have. They will see what they get in stock at the time and give you the best advice.
Let us know what they said.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 coral view lumen bright reflectors one used and one new never used. 2 250 watt magnetic ballasts one reefcube used and one Hamilton new in box. And 2 250 watt new radium bulbs never used. When I upgraded my tank from a 24” cube to a 120 and the plan was to add the second reflector but I never did. The tank ran for several years with the same single reflector and now I decided to switch to led. If your interested let me know I will get you all the model numbers and get you a price as well. The used reflector is in excellent shape those things are heavy duty and the reefcube was still working fine but the good thing about those ballast is all the parts can be replaced inside.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now Hamilton has only 4 options for fixtures:
Bali Sun (175W, 250W and 400W) 15" X 11.75" X 5"
Cayman Sun SE (175W or 250W) 13.25" X 13.25" X 5"
Cayman Sun DE (250W and 400W) 12" X 12" X 5"
Cozumel (175W, 250W and 400W) is 20"X 20" X 9.5"
Only Bali Sun and Cayman Mogul are in stock at the moment.

I don't think there is anything wrong in having a Cozumel over 20"+ wide tank. The fixture is 20" X 20"X 9.5". I do like the spread the fixture gives, and I like the glass protecting the bulbs. The recommended distance from the water is from 8" to 10". It would work better for a wider tank though, like up to about ~30" wide, I guess.
I had a fixture similar to the Bali Sun that was 14 1/4 X 10 3/4" X 5 5/16" over my 55 gal during the 90's and worked great!!! Good 250W Iwasaki's time!!!

Honestly, best thing to do is first to decide the size of the tank you want to get, than you will find the best fixture to fit those measurements. Also, you need to decide if you want supplementation for the halides and how you're going to install.
Get that tank figured out and decide your fixture. Call Hamilton and tell them what you are planning to have. They will see what they get in stock at the time and give you the best advice.
Let us know what they said.
Thanks for the information! I’ll definitely need to settle on the tank first to get some solid dimensions.
I have 2 coral view lumen bright reflectors one used and one new never used. 2 250 watt magnetic ballasts one reefcube used and one Hamilton new in box. And 2 250 watt new radium bulbs never used. When I upgraded my tank from a 24” cube to a 120 and the plan was to add the second reflector but I never did. The tank ran for several years with the same single reflector and now I decided to switch to led. If your interested let me know I will get you all the model numbers and get you a price as well. The used reflector is in excellent shape those things are heavy duty and the reefcube was still working fine but the good thing about those ballast is all the parts can be replaced inside.
Thanks! I haven’t seen much on the lumen brights except for the minis. If you’re able to get the models so I can research them as well that’d be appreciated.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies @A. grandis I never addressed one part of your post. I’m not sure if I’m going to do supplement lighting or not. I’d like to run some actinic (for dawn/dusk) and moon lights, but not sure if I should do T5 or run a ReefBrite LED Bar. I like the 10k-14k look, so I’m not sure if the ReefBrite would washout the halide too much.
As for mounting, I was thinking of doing a hood with the Halides mounted outside on top of the hood and the t5/ReefBrite mounted inside? I think that would work.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies @A. grandis I never addressed one part of your post. I’m not sure if I’m going to do supplement lighting or not. I’d like to run some actinic (for dawn/dusk) and moon lights, but not sure if I should do T5 or run a ReefBrite LED Bar. I like the 10k-14k look, so I’m not sure if the ReefBrite would washout the halide too much.
As for mounting, I was thinking of doing a hood with the Halides mounted outside on top of the hood and the t5/ReefBrite mounted inside? I think that would work.
No need to apologize at all. I've never used any of the ReefBrite products yet. Actinic T5s will make a difference when you use with halides, yes. I'm using 2 X 250W 14Ks right now with 4 X ATI Blue Plus bulbs on my Spectra over my 75gal zoanthid system. Supplementation is great to help fill in any spaces between the rocks and such, and at the same time add the extra blue and you can use it while halides are off, to complete the photoperiod, giving some flexibility.
As far as I know, Tullio said the XHOs were designed to "substitute" the old VHOs. I believe it would show a very similar color and aesthetically could mimic the VHOs, but the ral VHOs have more to it, physically speaking. Most people that have ReefBrite equipment will love them. I like T5s a lot and have no reason to spend the money to try anything else right now.
Good luck in your decisions. Take your time figuring out...

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone talk with Hamilton recently? Any talk of when the Cozumel reflectors will be back in stock? Wondering if they lost their production company on these or if it's just covid related. Been out of stock for months. I left a query through their website. Interested to here an update. Interesting to see that there are no options for reflectors under their Aquarium metal halide retrofit kits section.

I would really like to see the Cabo Sun large reflector come back. Looks like a Cozumel without the black housing.

Last edited:

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone talk with Hamilton recently? Any talk of when the Cozumel reflectors will be back in stock? Wondering if they lost their production company on these or if it's just covid related. Been out of stock for months. I left a query through their website. Interested to here an update. Interesting to see that there are no options for reflectors under their Aquarium metal halide retrofit kits section.

I would really like to see the Cabo Sun large reflector come back. Looks like a Cozumel without the black housing.
I was told they would be back in stock in June/July last month

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you chose metal halide over t5
For me, I‘ll likely go with a mix and have T5 actinic for dawn dusk. However, for main lighting, in my opinion, I love the shimmer affect of halide, and overall cost. The fixtures are similar in cost and it’s only one bulb at about $50/bulb (per fixture) to replace instead of the potential for 4, 6, or 8 bulbs at about $25/bulb. Also, I’ve had T5 in the past and it was fairly flat looking and lacking movement. I think between T5 and metal halide, it’s all in what you want.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I spoke with Dave last week. He said July for Cozumels.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back