Metal Halides are the bomb

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ushio 14k definitely not = to AC 14k....

450D24F8-09CA-4B83-BB76-FC9AC43B4083.png

if you say so those are not the mfg charts call them there 10hrs ahead German Central Time

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol :oops: YES Im from Europe and spoke with BLV many times
LOL!! My German bulbs were most likely made in Germany LOL!!!! And they do not have those masks. That's why I'm telling you. If they all had BLV arc tubes, according to you, they should have the marks you showed. Perhaps only the Giesemann bulbs have those marks.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they all had BLV arc tubes, according to you, they should have the marks you showed
Why?
Manuf can pick and choose their markings.. Also salt any to secondary manuf specs..

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you talking about the arc tubes only?

Who jackets them and where isn't exactly whats discussed. is it?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you guys have me second guessing if I am running the right ballast. I am not well informed on how to tell what to use.
I am running the ushio 14k 400wAQ se bulbs on the electronic selectable ballasts. I thought when I bought the lamp there were two types one that needs magnetic and one that can use electric and I thought I got the right one.
If it’s fine to run on this selectable ballast would the hqi switch be much difference?

Last edited:

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!! My German bulbs were most likely made in Germany LOL!!!! And they do not have those masks. That's why I'm telling you. If they all had BLV arc tubes, according to you, they should have the marks you showed. Perhaps only the Giesemann bulbs have those marks.

I don’t know what German bulbs you are refering too.

I refered to these four main brands Giesemann,Ushio,AB,Aquaconnect are the same as the BLV Nepturion and regardless of what kelvin is printed on the box it is stamped on the arc tube from the factory.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As nuts as everyone was for the ac bulb it’s hard to believe it’s the same as the ushio, but that might just show us how all these graphs and such win people over even if they are not all accurate?

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you guys have me second guessing if I am running the right ballast. I am not well informed on how to tell what to use.
I am running the ushio 14k 400wAQ se bulbs on the electronic selectable ballasts. I thought when I bought the lamp there were two types one that needs magnetic and one that can use electric and I thought I got the right one.
If it’s fine to run on this selectable ballast would the hqi switch be much difference?

USHIO · 5002094 M59/E probe start NA spec

USHIO · 5001608 M135/E, M155/E pulse start European

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As nuts as everyone was for the ac bulb it’s hard to believe it’s the same as the ushio, but that might just show us how all these graphs and such win people over even if they are not all accurate?
AquaConnect buisness is so small he does alot from his house. those graphs are old and not one of them used a European 230v ballast which these bulbs were designed for.

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyways BLV is discontinued there Nepturion bulbs and will sale them till supplies run out, now will they continue to mfg for Ushio,Giesemann and Aquamedic who knows. If I stay in the hobby for the next year I will go for a Phillips Coralcare

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what German bulbs you are refering too.

I refered to these four main brands Giesemann,Ushio,AB,Aquaconnect are the same as the BLV Nepturion and regardless of what kelvin is printed on the box it is stamped on the arc tube from the factory.
All German bulbs you listed above (Giesemann, Ushio, Aqualine Aqua Buschke, Aqua Connect) show "made in Germany" printed on the outer jacket, but have different arc tube shapes and most of them don't have anything printed on their arc tubes. They don't even look like the ones you showed from Giesemann, but are all very different. Ushio has a precision formed arc tube, Aqua Connect has a straight wall arc tube construction, etc. They also suggest different ballasts to run, so they shouldn't have the exact same gas composition independent of the approximate Kelvin number printed on the boxes (which we should agree that are just "brand numbers").
If you look at the 250W SE German bulbs you have:
Ushio 10K M58
BLV 10K M80
AB 10K M138
Giesemann 10K M80
The suggestion you posted about looking for the printed numbers on the arc tube because they are "all from one source (BLV)" isn't accurate simply because they aren't the same at all.

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All German bulbs you listed above (Giesemann, Ushio, Aqualine Aqua Buschke, Aqua Connect) show "made in Germany" printed on the outer jacket, but have different arc tube shapes and most of them don't have anything printed on their arc tubes. They don't even look like the ones you showed from Giesemann, but are all very different. Ushio has a precision formed arc tube, Aqua Connect has a straight wall arc tube construction, etc. They also suggest different ballasts to run, so they shouldn't have the exact same gas composition independent of the approximate Kelvin number printed on the boxes (which we should agree that are just "brand numbers").
If you look at the 250W SE German bulbs you have:
Ushio 10K M58
BLV 10K M80
AB 10K M138
Giesemann 10K M80
The suggestion you posted about looking for the printed numbers on the arc tube because they are "all from one source (BLV)" isn't accurate simply because they aren't the same at all.
cool ur misinformed you realise Usio made NA probe start bulbs so by default a euro market 250w bulb se/de are M80 spec unless the mfg makes the same bulb for more common probe start markets like NA not to mention Europe does not have ansi codes so you buy a 230v 50hz ballast end of story. I got other things to do with my day dnjoy

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool ur misinformed you realise Usio made NA probe start bulbs so by default a euro market 250w bulb se/de are M80 spec unless the mfg makes the same bulb for more common probe start markets like NA not to mention Europe does not have ansi codes so you buy a 230v 50hz ballast end of story. I got other things to do with my day dnjoy
Thanks for telling Ushio they are wrong. LOL!
The manufacturer of Ushio lamps is BLV in Germany indeed, but that doesn't mean that all the German bulbs, including Ushio, will have the exact same arc tube/gas.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back