MH Bulb Question

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running Reef Brite 250 watt electronic ballasts and I'm looking for an SE white/blue bulb that does not require an hqi setting to run properly. I'm currently using the Reef Brite 14k Twin Arcs and I find them to be quite yellow, look almost like a 6500k to my eyes. The bulbs grow and color coral well, but I would like more blue without having to use the XHO"s (I'm using the Reef Brite mh/led fixture). I'd like to use the XHO's for sunrise and sunset and then let the halides run for 6 hours on their own, the shimmer is so much better when the xho's are not on.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched over to the Hamilton 20K SE bulb from the Radiums. According to Dave it is spec'd for an electronic ballast and doesn't require a M80 ballast. Higher PAR on an electronic ballast than a Radium on electronic ballast as well per Dave. Can't tell a difference from the Radium. Jeff

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched over to the Hamilton 20K SE bulb from the Radiums. According to Dave it is spec'd for an electronic ballast and doesn't require a M80 ballast. Higher PAR on an electronic ballast than a Radium on electronic ballast as well per Dave. Can't tell a difference from the Radium. Jeff

What ballast are you using? There's difference in wattage from an electronic ballast running on an HQI or standard setting. The Reef Brite ballast will drive a bulb up to 255 watts, unlike some other electronic ballasts that feature an HQI setting.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!
Great t know...
What is the visual appearance comparing to Radiums?
Grandis.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that the 14k Twin Arcs look like 6500K, then you will have to go to a 20K, or more The Hammy 20k, XM 20k and Gisemann 21k all will run on electronic just fine without M80.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ballast are you using? There's difference in wattage from an electronic ballast running on an HQI or standard setting. The Reef Brite ballast will drive a bulb up to 255 watts, unlike some other electronic ballasts that feature an HQI setting.

I’m using the Reef Brite 250W electronic ballast as well. I’m not currently using the dimming feature.
Can’t tell a difference visually between the Radium and the Hamilton 20K.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Reef Brite 250W electronic ballast as well. I’m not currently using the dimming feature.
Can’t tell a difference visually between the Radium and the Hamilton 20K.
I just ordered a 20k Hamilton bulb, I'll post the color difference from what I'm currently using once it is burned in.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We made the switch to Hamilton 20k bulbs. Dave is truly a great person to deal with. We use the 150watt DE 20k from Hamilton, amazing color and growth.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 62 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back