MH hybrid

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPFD levels aside, I agree the Hamilton 14,000k is more visually appealing to me than Radiums. Unpopular opinion.
Know of any current independent Hamilton spectrums?
from Hamilton (btw it is fairly similar to the old Ushio 14000k):
T5-14K-500x500-600x600.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give me an example of using any MH bulbs or even a LED fixtures to compare that will show higher PAR on the blue, using the very same PAR sensor, meter and bulb of same wattage/ballast, lenses, reflectors, measured at the same distance?
One more using the limited current availability of brands.
Error factors listed..
Oddly electronic ballasts favored the Hamilton over the Radium.

hamrad.JPG

Dead horse beaten enough?

Last edited:

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPFD levels aside, I agree the Hamilton 14,000k is more visually appealing to me than Radiums. Unpopular opinion.
Might have to try that Hamilton 14k next. Anybody know what would happen if the Hamilton bulb is over driven by a PFO ballast?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my 14k Hamiltons, such a brilliant natural look and the fish look absolutely stunning. I'm trying to get a pic of my Ignitus anthias, because those fish are on another level under 14k's. I also love the fact that rendering true purple, blue and pink in acropora is second to none. Although, I miss my Iwasaki's 6500k's, but I wasn't keeping many sps in the 90's.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 14k Hamiltons, such a brilliant natural look and the fish look absolutely stunning. I'm trying to get a pic of my Ignitus anthias, because those fish are on another level under 14k's. I also love the fact that rendering true purple, blue and pink in acropora is second to none. Although, I miss my Iwasaki's 6500k's, but I wasn't keeping many sps in the 90's.

Please share pic of the color. I was set on Radium’s until I realized they only have 20K. Most likely too blue for me.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefahholic not the best pictures but my last system had so much white in and around it, it's pretty accurate as far as color goes. 250w 14k hamiltons on reefbrite ballasts
DSC_0082-2.jpg
DSC_0078-2.jpg
DSC_0074-3.jpg

Wow, beautiful daylight color. Just my style. Did the RB’s and the Hamilton 14K grow those colonies without the help of any other MH bulbs? This was grown from frags or this was a transfer to this tank?

I’m asking because I want to know for sure if RB’s and that Hamilton can grow coral as well or close to some of the old school bulbs, reflectors, ballasts, etc.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks really nice. Looks almost like 14K.

I have RedfBrite 14k bulbs here as well and found them too yellow. Much closer to 10k. The RB 20k reminds me a lot of the Radium but is missing some of the patented Radium pop. Hard to describe but a Radium is white with just enough blue/actinic that you get this “shine/pop” on your corals without it being Windex. I’ve tried well over a dozen LED fixtures and not one can recreate the look for me.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, beautiful daylight color. Just my style. Did the RB’s and the Hamilton 14K grow those colonies without the help of any other MH bulbs? This was grown from frags or this was a transfer to this tank?

I’m asking because I want to know for sure if RB’s and that Hamilton can grow coral as well or close to some of the old school bulbs, reflectors, ballasts, etc.
The RB/Hamilton will for sure grow acropora and color them up nicely. I'm only running my halides for 6 1/2hrs a day and I get plenty of growth and color. My strawberry lemonade is on the bottom middle in the front and it's growing like crazy. My uploaded pics are compressed here on R2R, so they are grainy and never look good, but in person, the color is awesome!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RB/Hamilton will for sure grow acropora and color them up nicely. I'm only running my halides for 6 1/2hrs a day and I get plenty of growth and color. My strawberry lemonade is on the bottom middle in the front and it's growing like crazy. My uploaded pics are compressed here on R2R, so they are grainy and never look good, but in person, the color is awesome!

Looks good to me. :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To give you a better idea of growth and color, I fragged two acropora colonies, one confetti and one sukarnoi. They were completely healed and growing new polyps where they were cut in less than a week. I just fragged another confetti chunk into frags last Thursday and most are healed and starting encrust a little. Lighting is only one factor here, but it's the one thing I never worry about with this setup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back