OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think removing the black vinyl is working.

I prefer the clear back in @Broadfield reefer, the beautiful ELOS and ADA tanks. However, the overflow on the 170 is the same size as the 450. It becomes the dominate structure and casts huge shadows on the left and right. I saw a Max-E 260 at the LFS and the coast to coast back overflow wall looked so much cleaner than this huge overflow sticking out, just like @GoVols great S-400. @120reefkeeper approach to cover the entire back with rock is another great way to hide it.

So.....I'm thinking of putting GSP on the back glass and cyphastrea on the overflow. The rocks doesn't touch the glass, so I think I can keep the GSP to the glass. Thoughts?

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think removing the black vinyl is working.

I prefer the clear back in @Broadfield reefer, the beautiful ELOS and ADA tanks. However, the overflow on the 170 is the same size as the 450. It becomes the dominate structure and casts huge shadows on the left and right. I saw a Max-E 260 at the LFS and the coast to coast back overflow wall looked so much cleaner than this huge overflow sticking out, just like @GoVols great S-400. @120reefkeeper approach to cover the entire back with rock is another great way to hide it.

So.....I'm thinking of putting GSP on the back glass and cyphastrea on the overflow. The rocks doesn't touch the glass, so I think I can keep the GSP to the glass. Thoughts?
Micheal,
I truly like your reef as it stands, but I've seen a lot of reefers that let green star's grow onto their back glass and it's does have a different, but nice appeal.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micheal,
I truly like your reef as it stands, but I've seen a lot of reefers that let green star's grow onto their back glass and it's does have a different, but nice appeal.

Thanks Freddie, I like it too, but it's different than I imagined.

If I were to add two T5 bulbs, that will help kill the shadows too :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Freddie, I like it too, but it's different than I imagined.

If I were to add two T5 bulbs, that will help kill the shadows too :)
Yeah:
But it would break up the sharp and clean lines unless you went to a ATI or an Giesermann hybird canopy.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah:
But it would break up the sharp and clean lines unless you went to a ATI or an Giesermann hybird canopy.

Agreed. I'm curious if I could make an 80/20 canopy and mount it to the existing mount, then maybe use Justin's reefbrite?

GHL was supposed to come out with a 90 degree lighting plate and never did, so I'd like to make one of those at a minimum. Yet another project.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a reefer 170 on premium aquatics website (only $900) yesterday. Combing these build threads for inspiration and just wanted to say nice job.

Thank you. Congratulations on the purchase! There are quite a few 170s on R2R, have fun combing.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28660937_416085162165897_7026834716469902901_n.jpg

Saw this T-Shirt on Facebook and laughed as I'm daydreaming about the next tank

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, we have flatworms. I noticed bugs on the glass, but didn't immediately pay attention because it was shortly after an AlgaeBarn copepods addition. Clearly flatworms, they look white in all my pictures, but they look brown to the eye. I'll play it safe and do a Flatworm Exit Treatment tomorrow or Monday.
DSC00892-1.jpg
DSC00893-1.jpg
DSC00896-1.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micheal,
Sorry ;Sorry about the flatworms :(

I've never had to deal them. Can you get rid of them with ease?

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micheal,
Sorry ;Sorry about the flatworms :(

I've need had them. Can you get rid of them with ease?

My first time having them. Not sure exactly when they were introduced. Around the time of the new Acans, but could have always been there and the recent copepods + phypto-plantkon spurred them on.

Only one one spot on the glass (in overflow shade). Flat worm exit apparently works.

The fear is they can be toxic when they die and if you have too many, then problems. I don't think it will be a problem. I will treat them do a 25+% water change shortly after.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back