Michael's Reefer 170

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first time having them. Not sure exactly when they were introduced. Around the time of the new Acans, but could have always been there and the recent copepods + phypto-plantkon spurred them on.

Only one one spot on the glass (in overflow shade). Flat worm exit apparently works.

The fear is they can be toxic when they die and if you have too many, then problems. I don't think it will be a problem. I will treat them do a 25+% water change shortly after.
Is it a good thing that your running bare bottom, with the flatworms, instead of a sand bed?

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a good thing that your running bare bottom, with the flatworms, instead of a sand bed?

Yeah. There was a sad sad thread where a guy lost his entire 300 gallon tank (everything died) after flatworm exit. He basically had so many (rocks, sand) they turned his tank toxic after their died.

With bare bottom + same tank, I should be kosher. I'll do a 30% water change 20 minutes after treatment.

The next tank will be bare bottom too. Emailed Planet + Coast + Coast for quotes, thou Reef Savvy has that sexyness factor.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those flatworms are okey . At least what I have seen. They tend to bloom sometimes and then disappear. I haven't seen them harm any corals.
A small wrasse would probably keep the numbers down.

/ David

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those flatworms are okey . At least what I have seen. They tend to bloom sometimes and then disappear. I haven't seen them harm any corals.
A small wrasse would probably keep the numbers down.

/ David

Thanks David.

My confidence was a little shook because as I looked closely on my rocks just now, there were quite a few.

A wrasse would be cool, but I am a bit heavy on fish. Maybe I can give away the clown.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It_Happened.JPG

A Yellow Coris has always been on my list because they're apparently a pest eating machine. @NYAquatic happened to have a small one in stock, so I pulled the trigger.

I have some left over PVC. I may cover the bottom and half fill it with sand and throw it in the back left corner so he has a place to sleep. Now I'm feel like @GoVols, uncomfortable about my fish load.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It_Happened.JPG

A Yellow Coris has always been on my list because they're apparently a pest eating machineA Yellow Coris has always been on my list because they're apparently a pest eating machine. @NYAquatic happened to have a small one in stock, so I pulled the trigger.

I have some left over PVC. I may cover the bottom and half fill it with sand and throw it in the back left corner so he has a place to sleep. Now I'm feel like @GoVols, uncomfortable about my fish load.
(lol)
Your bio-load will be just fine.
The longer that I go... the Stripey might :confused:... stay :)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris wrasse arrived today. Bravest fish I've had, swimming all about the tank and eating well.

I didn't clean the glass + food in the water, but some snaps of the little guy.
DSC01071-1.jpg

DSC01006-1.jpg

DSC00986-1.jpg

EDIT: Should give credit to @Sallstrom for reminding me of these guys

Last edited:
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blame @crabs_mcjones :)

Was using my old AI Prime as fuge light. Spectum wasn't right, the H80 seemed unpowered and was still $100. So I bought the ridiculous H380. It's larger than my skimmer cup. Will probably only run it 2-3h a day.

It makes no sense, but I intend to use the light on the next tank and didn't want to upgrade again.

p.s. I'll find some better way to wrap the meters of excess GHL probe + sensor cables.
p.p.s that is some noise cancelling foam on ceiling. Will remove. Attempts to make the NYOS even quieter

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!!

Look ;Wideyed at that brew, that's in your NYOS's skimmer cup ;Woot ;Woot

Edit :confused:
Micheal,
Do you like your new yellow wrasse?

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look ;Wideyed at that brew, that's in your NYOS's skimmer cup ;Woot ;Woot

Skimmer got a Vinegar bath on Tuesday, performing much better. Great skimmer.

Do you like your new yellow wrasse?

I don't want to say he's my favorite, but he sort of is. Zero fear, completely chill. Just tools around the tank checking everything out.

I'm not sure he's picking at the flatworms. The number of flatworms makes me uncomfortable. I'll do a few 10% water changes this week siphoning them out, begin KZ Flatworm Stop (not Salifert's Flatworm Exit), and give the wrasse some time.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure he's picking at the flatworms. The number of flatworms makes me uncomfortable. I'll do a few 10% water changes this week siphoning them out, begin KZ Flatworm Stop (not Salifert's Flatworm Exit), and give the wrasse some time.

Do you actually see the population increasing?
I had them once in a refugium that was linked to the main tank.
The refugium was completely full with them, but never saw them in the display tank where a yellow coris was master-of-pests
I think the yellow coris just needs some time to get used to the new environment.

Great thread!

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you actually see the population increasing?

They were increasing before I got the coris wrasse. Too early to tell, but I'm cautiously optimistic he will manage them. He is constantly on the prowl and picking at things. He's great fun to watch!

They are concentrated on one part of my glass. Near the MP10 in-take. Not sure if it's the flow or likely because it's in the shade of the overflow.

Great thread!
Thank you!

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micheal,
Those are primo corals... ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

;Drool

I'm very pleased. I bought named frags from another vendor for the same price that measured 1/3rd the size of my pinky finger, that pectina didn't fit into my normal coral dip container!!

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very pleased. I bought named frags from another vendor for the same price that measured 1/3rd the size of my pinky finger, that pectina didn't fit into my normal coral dip container!
I'm following your lead with Unique... ;Woot ;Woot

Got one more piece to go... ;Wacky

:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back