OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got a lot going on in that tank. Hopefully everything will go smooth in the transition to the new one :)

Thank you. Making that list was humbling, don't think I need any new corals for the new tank :)

Help.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Making that list was humbling, don't think I need any new corals for the new tank :)

I think your list is just fine. Your always going the have some loser's.

Looking back from day one until now you've done an great job, Micheal, and should be very proud.

:)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kill list... that is something new.
This hobby for sure has his ups and downs.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your list is just fine. Your always going the have some loser's.

Thanks Freddie, really happy with the tank today. Most of the dead corals came from that single poorly prepared WWC shipment.

A kill list... that is something new

Definitely not proud, but keeping track of my mistakes gives me an opportunity to learn.

For today's news... Saw a single misshapen Asterina starfish on the glass (sigh). I blame the chateo order from a few weeks ago, it was filthy.

That's another huge downside to the fuge + Triton approach, clean chaeto is out of stock more often than in stock. After my Aiptasia-X on that single aiptasia on the dendro, I now have three (sigh). Strongly tempted to move that single dendro to a five gallon tank and treat him before I see them elsewhere.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
If the Asterina turns into an out break, don't sweat it.

Harley shrimp will knock them out and I still miss the pair that I had :(

Any news on the flatworms?

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
If the Asterina turns into an out break, don't sweat it.

Harley shrimp will knock them out and I still miss the pair that I had :(

Any news on the flatworms?

Flatworms are less, but definitely quite a few. Doing KZ Coral Boost + Flatworm Stop daily.

When I transition to the new tank, I won't reuse any water. I'll put Flatworm Exit into the 170 and then 15 minutes later move everything into the new tank.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On new frags in the past 16 months
  • Aiptasia (two different orders from different vendors)
  • Bubble algae (two different orders from different vendors)
  • Digitate hydroids
  • Flatworms
  • Asterina starfish (dirty chateo from non Algae Barn order)
I'm not bitter, yet with tank looking so good, anything new is going in a QT tank. An $100 8"deep twelve gallon AquaMaxx + $140 Orphek Light in the entry way won't be noticeable. NY RAP is coming up in a month and I'll likely buy something.

I feel partial to some of my corals and the desire to 'due no harm' is greater than the desire to buy something new
Tank.JPG
Orphek.jpg

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find that light?

It's Orphek's new light bar! The 36" model is $140 including shipping. You can pick from 3 lengths (24", 36", 48"), I think 5 color temperatures, and 3 different lens (60, 90, 120 degree). You can't dim them, but it can be mounted close to the water line (picture of people laying them on the sump as fuge light), and it's an 80/20 fixture so mounting should be easy.

It's brand new, I'm an early adopter. But I'm hopeful. I'm going with Orphek Atlantiks on the new build and it's nice the QT will be semi-similar light wise.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my new tank is finally set up, I am thinking about continuing the 40B as a frag system and will need a light for it.

This would be a great light for it. Thanks for posting it :)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got nervous reading some of the aiptasia tear down threads, I moved my aiptasia dendro to the 12G AquaMaxx QT tank
IMG_20180525_192355.jpg

Assembled a black 80/20 stand this week for the new build. The guys at Framing Tech were ridiculously helpful. Will pick up plywood + foam locally. I have magnet plastic doors to hide gear in short term.
IMG_20180525_192005.jpg
IMG_20180525_192207.jpg

@GoVols told me it's time to create a new build thread :)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag on the far left arrived broken into tiny pieces, this is from 3 months ago:
Crop.jpg

and today:
DSC01280-1.jpg

You can see the original single stick in the center, surrounded by a bunch of new growth.

Here's a crop from the above FTS of the same area
New.jpg

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm Update

11 weeks ago I noticed flatworms on the glass, they seemed like the non-predatory ones. Added a Coris Wrasse and began Flatworm Stop. Once I noticed them, they were everywhere on my rock and frag plugs. It's possible the population increased (or at least stayed the same) for the next few weeks, then they started to disappear. They are almost completly gone. I'm a big fan of the Coris and Flatworm Stop.

I planned to use Flatworm Exit and reuse none of the water during the tank upgrade, but now that population is basically non-existent, I'll try to reuse all the water and skip Flatworm exit.

The growth in the previous post feels like it's been very recent, like all in the last few weeks. It could be it was just getting settled, but I wonder if the flatworms annoyed some of the corals. The growth seems to have really kicked into high gear the last few weeks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back