Michigan ReeferGirl 2.0

Kayliw63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm currently on my second attempt at reefing: just over 1 year in on a 29 gallon mixed reef tank.

My first attempt was at age 13, back in '07/'08. Armed with only the "Saltwaterfish For Dummies" book, I started a 48 gallon bowfront tank that was given to me as a birthday present from an uncle. I was underprepared, severely underfunded, and the tank suffered a series of mishaps until I finally took it down before going to college. I converted it into a freshwater tank for my dad, and that was that.

In December of 2019 I started by 29 gallon mixed reef tank. I'll have a build thread out shortly, but overall the process has been more positive (probably because I've been more patient and better educated than when I was young). Definitely have had some difficulty with certain corals, have battled a few algae types, but overall, its been really positive!
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.08.30 AM.png

A little about me: I'm a Michigander in the US, bigtime bookworm/video game nerd, love my dog to pieces, and work in the insurance industry. I love to travel, but Michigan has so many awesome places to visit and vacation so I don't have to go far to find new, beautiful places!

My tank build thread is here if you wanna check it out!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The difference is, you are now here with R2R
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us!!

Ocadenas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm currently on my second attempt at reefing: just over 1 year in on a 29 gallon mixed reef tank.

My first attempt was at age 13, back in '07/'08. Armed with only the "Saltwaterfish For Dummies" book, I started a 48 gallon bowfront tank that was given to me as a birthday present from an uncle. I was underprepared, severely underfunded, and the tank suffered a series of mishaps until I finally took it down before going to college. I converted it into a freshwater tank for my dad, and that was that.

In December of 2019 I started by 29 gallon mixed reef tank. I'll have a build thread out shortly, but overall the process has been more positive (probably because I've been more patient and better educated than when I was young). Definitely have had some difficulty with certain corals, have battled a few algae types, but overall, its been really positive!

A little about me: I'm a Michigander in the US, bigtime bookworm/video game nerd, love my dog to pieces, and work in the insurance industry. I love to travel, but Michigan has so many awesome places to visit and vacation so I don't have to go far to find new, beautiful places!
Nice! We're started at the same time is been a year this month. Awesome

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right you are. A couple of my favorite places in Michigan are sand lakes quiet area and yankee springs. Going back home in kazoo is my favorite place to go.
tenor_10538504_mediumgif_136250450477181.gif

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back