OP
Sintralcoast

Sintralcoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried everything with this 150s reef octopus but I’m new to the hobby so I know there is something I need to do or something that I did is wrong. Besides the obvious break in time everyone talks about it just doesn’t seem right..I reached out to reef octopus but not even a reply and it’s been over a week. It’s been running for a solid 2 and a half weeks. Please any help is appreciated

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll try to help you out. Let me predicate this by saying I haven't used Reef Octopus skimmers but most all work the same.

Where are you getting the micro bubbles? It's pretty difficult to see in the pictures...Or I'm missing something. Maybe the one picture

Where does the drain tube from the collection cup go? Looks like it circles around the base of the unit and back into the water! That's not the cause but would be putting the nasty stuff right back into your water. That needs to discharge outside the system

My guess on the bubbles is too much air flow into the skimmer. Can you restrict the air flow? Or shut the valve on the discharge a very little bit. Like maybe 1/8 of a turn, then wait for 15 minutes and see how the skimmer reacts.

New skimmers do tend to over produce

OP
OP
Sintralcoast

Sintralcoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so the bubbles are all coming out of the valve where the water comes out of the skimmer. I put the drain tube in the water because I seen from someone to just let the skimmer go and so it doesn’t overflow just to put the tube back in the tank..mind you this is a new tank with a few snail and hermit crabs fish are in quarantine. So I figure well there isn’t much to skim. So turning that valve into a close position rather then fully open would be better? Sorry about the pictures but the picture with the return pump I just wanted to show there making it into that section therefore going right into the main

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been offline for a few days. Did you get this solved?

The video won't play on my computer.

OP
OP
Sintralcoast

Sintralcoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so what I did was turn the inlet away from the overflow then turn the outlet of the skimmer towards the glass before it overflows to the return. Also the baffle before the return had a little room because I was off a little when I cut The bio block to replace the original sponge filter so I fixed that..long story short all those things I feel helped now I’m down to zero bubbles! Man that was a little frustrating dealing with that ha. Thanks for the response and trying to help.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back