Micro bubbles from Gyre

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success stopping their gyre from making micro bubbles. Had to order new propellers/blades for my gyre. Now one side won’t stop creating micro bubbles. Ran it at different speeds nothing seems to work. No it doesn’t suck them in from the top surface and yes it is put together correctly.
The only thing I noticed was when the replacement blades came in there were fewer blades than the original. But again one side is fine the other isn’t. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tellin the bubbles must be coming from somewhere. Ya think the prop is spinning fast enough to create cavitation?

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gyres and have not experienced the same problem.

I do have a few ideas from my own experience that will holefully help. I was getting micro bubbles into my display that were being created by my skimmer. My skimmer sits in the middle section of my sump right before the return. My returns point at each gyre, so it appeared as if the gyers were creating the bubbles when they were not. They would assist in spreading them all over the tank. I somewhat fixed this isse by adding additional baffles.

Also there could be trapped air inside the gyre from when you placed it in the tank. I would place the gyre in the water and shake out all the air bubbles before turning it on.

Hopefully this helps you a little bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran this same gyre in both my old tank and new tank. No issues. When the I shut it off it releases the air trapped in the propeller. I checked out coralvue web site and others with the same issue. Most thought it was cavitation from being turned up too high. But it happens at lower speeds too. There is way more micro bubbles than would be from anything in the tank. Non of the threads I have read had a true answer and neither did coralvue. I believe it may be something to do with the angles of the blade perhaps they are just so slightly off. I was hoping to hear from someone who resolved this issue.

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trochus snails had babies and got into the blades and broke them. I had to replace them and that is when the issue started. Only 2 things different is the mesh Garuda I put over them and the propellers them selves. And again 1 side is fine and the other is not so I think that would rule out bubbles being sucked in from anywhere. This is a steady flow of bubbles coming from air trapped in the propellers. If you shut it off and release the air it will be fine for a bit but then within hours it will be back to spewing micro bubbles everywhere

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had this happen to me after a cleaning. I solved it by pulling each side off and switching it to the other side, never noticed the bubbles again

U

User1

View Badges
I have a pair and not seen this. Whine yes, but no micro bubbles.

OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone I switched just the propellers around not the cages. It appears as though I am blind because when I first put it together I thought I had everything correct. From what I am seing now I had the propellers facing the wrong way. I have way more flow with the same speed and it is put together the way I thought I put it together the first time. Apparently I am blind. I will keep you up to date on the micro bubbles. Will post again in 4 hours or so to let everyone know if it is resolved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crash29ca

crash29ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said I would keep you guys posted on Cment’s fix suggestion. It has been 4 hours since I switched the blades around but not the cages. There has been no more sign of the micro bubbles. Thanks Cmen!! Will post again tomorrow to for an update 24 hours of the fix.

Alazo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try the same fix as I have the same problem...thanks

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have this issues again by any chance? I still have this issue, 4K gyres. Yes the blades are A on A B on B..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back