Micro bubbles on liverock

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few weeks, I have been noticing micro bubbles growing on the liverock. They blow off very easily but seem to come back quickly. It is Very spotty and not on everything. I have noticed a little bit of green turf algae popping up on some rocks also. It is about 1mm long algae which my snails don't seem to want to eat. I am thinking of trying a sea urchin to eat the small amount I have popping up.

Are those air bubbles dinos? They aren't stringy like dinos but have the bubbles. I haven't allowed the tank to zero nutrient levels. Levels are as followed:
Nitrate: 4-8ppm red sea
Phosphate: .05-.08 hanna
Alk: 8-8.6 red sea
Cal: 480+ red sea
I have dino x as a treatment if needed. I have never used it before as I am worried about after effects. Would it be worth using? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be cyno do you have any pictures? for the turf algae I would get a turbo sail if the tank is big enough, urchin if you like. Don't need to get into Dino x unless it is confirmed Dino. Right now I think your dealing with cyno. Cyno has a habit of easily being blown off but will quickly come back. During the night does it show up?

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be cyno do you have any pictures? for the turf algae I would get a turbo sail if the tank is big enough, urchin if you like. Don't need to get into Dino x unless it is confirmed Dino. Right now I think your dealing with cyno. Cyno has a habit of easily being blown off but will quickly come back. During the night does it show up?
No it doesn't show up at night. Only when the lights turn on. I did a 3 day blackout too and they disappeared for a bit but came back a few days after

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a pic, but it sounds like photosynthetic oxygen production.
Sorry for the late reply, just got home from the holiday. Here are a few pics I took of it. I put the whites fully on to take pics and I noticed the bubbles formed faster. The algae on the rock with it is very hard to get off. Looks like turf?? I've included the pics with the bad flash reflection, it seems to show the bubbles better.

Attachments

• DSC_0817.JPG
    DSC_0817.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0816.JPG
    DSC_0816.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0815.JPG
    DSC_0815.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0814.JPG
    DSC_0814.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 72

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really. It's a byproduct of photosynthesis from pretty much any green plant/algae's metabolism. The only way to stop it is to turn off the lights. I'd be willing to bet it's a good thing really. Ups the O2 in the water.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

Back