OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also at 0.35 phosphate, all my acros are happy and healthy and also zero problem. I have no algae even without flucozonale. However, with my PO4 around 0.35 I often wonder if my corals would grow faster if it was lower, let’s say around 0.15
@Charlie’s Frags do you ever feel your growth would be better with lower po4?
Alright. It appears from a quick look at some old photos that my acros had better growth when the po4 was 0.10-0.20. But I wasn’t doing anything special to achieve that range.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. It appears from a quick look at some old photos that my acros had better growth when the po4 was 0.10-0.20. But I wasn’t doing anything special to achieve that range.
Thanks for going back and looking at that. I’m going to proceed with my efforts to lower PO4 to the .10 to .20 range. I need to either setup a small fuge in my sump or…., I’m seriously considering “micro dosing” KZ’s ZeoStart. Supposedly the carbon source in ZeoStart also lowers PO4 not just NO3. Im going to give it a shot at less than the recommended dosage. This will be my first time ever carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for going back and looking at that. I’m going to proceed with my efforts to lower PO4 to the .10 to .20 range. I need to either setup a small fuge in my sump or…., I’m seriously considering “micro dosing” KZ’s ZeoStart. Supposedly the carbon source in ZeoStart also lowers PO4 not just NO3. Im going to give it a shot at less than the recommended dosage. This will be my first time ever carbon dosing.
Man…..I’m not a fan of “adding carbon dosing” to an established sps system. It only helped with numbers but the corals hated it. It makes zero sense if your goal is lower po4. Just use tropic marin elimiphos. It works great and poses no harm if you stick to the dosing instructions

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man…..I’m not a fan of “adding carbon dosing” to an established sps system. It only helped with numbers but the corals hated it. It makes zero sense if your goal is lower po4. Just use tropic marin elimiphos. It works great and poses no harm if you stick to the dosing instructions
I’ll look into that. Thanks

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into that. Thanks
I use ElimiPhos also when PO4 breaks into the .3 territory. Dose to the overflow and make sure you are filtering out the fine particulates. Some fish (tangs) can suffer some gill irritation & illness.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ElimiPhos also when PO4 breaks into the .3 territory. Dose to the overflow and make sure you are filtering out the fine particulates. Some fish (tangs) can suffer some gill irritation & illness.
I dose mine right into the over flow as well but I don’t do any extra particulate filtering. I’ve read several stories about lacl wiping out fish, especially yellow tangs, but everyone of those involved buying a bulk product made for swimming pools.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m not familiar with phosphate E but I’m sure it’s similar or the same as elimiphos. Just make sure you follow the directions and don’t over dose.

I’m half dosing and resting 12 hours later. Down the overflow and into my roller. Slow and steady is for sure working.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose mine right into the over flow as well but I don’t do any extra particulate filtering. I’ve read several stories about lacl wiping out fish, especially yellow tangs, but everyone of those involved buying a bulk product made for swimming pools.
When I dose, it turns the water a milky color. After the filter socks and skimmer I see nothing. I did see the same painful thread from Bill using Seaclear I think. Quite disaster.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling a bad bryopsis outbreak for over a year. Maybe even longer but the last 12 months have been awful. It seemed to spread exponentially within a couple days each time I would manually remove as much as I could. I actually developed tendinitis in my elbow from spending so much time pulling this crap off with surgical pliers. I tried raising magnesium to 1800 with hydrat mag from brightwell aquatics for months but all that did was cause acros to rtn. The bryopsis was so bad it was creeping up under some of the corals….that cause them to stn. I had to frag a bunch of them and then new bryopsis would soon follow. I tried a rabbit fish, tons of snails, and 10 lettuce nudis but nothing would really help. The lettuce nudis helped a little but all but 1 disappeared within a couple weeks. I also tried draining the tank trying to spot treating as much as I could with 12% h202. This would knock out a bunch but eventually it all just came back.
I didn’t want to dose flucozanole bc I had issues with it in the past and had heard many sps horror stories associated with it. But I was reaching my mental and physical (I wasn’t lying about the elbow) limit. Then I saw a video from @ReefBum with Jason fox and he said he doses 1 pill of reeflux for 1000g. The product recommends 1 pill per 10g. So figured what the h3ll. Now the recommended dose of reeflux for my 50g tank looks like this
A7ACEAA9-A015-4A66-A6DB-8A4D4F167938.jpeg
but I only dosed this much
5E0F7030-BF86-491B-BC7F-FA7973AFB76E.jpeg

Within 3 days the bryopsis was disappearing and the rest of the algae was turning white
7D533065-328A-4D75-81ED-61E7F635D556.jpeg
6D3CDF41-2E4C-45DE-AC54-BD9A3A3AB6BD.jpeg

Everything looks really happy even though my nitrates are higher than ever.
1E7D0C42-F54E-42C5-9D28-5DE3720A478C.jpeg

Bryopsis is sending the wife around the twist on her tank (just 12 months old). In goes a micro dose (small spoon, in 240ltrs). Fingers crossed :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I tried my best to do 1/100th the recommended dose and yes…it worked very well.
how did you measure the "1/100th" dosage with the spoon you pictured originally? Do you weight it or eye ball it? Full spoon, half spoon, 1/3 spoon? I have a 40G so i'd be dosing just as much if not slightly lower than you, but am very unsure of how to measure this dosage..

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you measure the "1/100th" dosage with the spoon you pictured originally? Do you weight it or eye ball it? Full spoon, half spoon, 1/3 spoon? I have a 40G so i'd be dosing just as much if not slightly lower than you, but am very unsure of how to measure this dosage..
I wouldn’t worry too much about precision. I just eyeball it. I use the spoon that comes with chemiclean. The last treatment I did 3 or 4 spoonfuls.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I wouldn’t worry too much about precision. I just eyeball it. I use the spoon that comes with chemiclean. The last treatment I did 3 or 4 spoonfuls.
and just to confirm, the bag has 5 pills worth of reef flux? (for the 1 pill per 10g)? i’m just trying to understand where the “micro dosing” comes into play

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and just to confirm, the bag has 5 pills worth of reef flux? (for the 1 pill per 10g)? i’m just trying to understand where the “micro dosing” comes into play
Yes
That bag had 5 pills in it and I dosed 1 chemiclean spoonful. I have done as much as 3 or 4 spoons with no negative issues at all. I haven’t seen any bryopsis since my first post. I only dose it periodically if a see a some gha pop up.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have kept the skimmer on for oxygenation just running it without the cup allowing it to flow back into the sump .
You could do that but I can’t in my tiny cabinet bc the water splatters everywhere when I remove the cup. I actually just pull the plug on my cup and dose some chemiclean to make my skimmer go nuts.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have kept the skimmer on for oxygenation just running it without the cup allowing it to flow back into the sump .
The wife reckons it actually lowered the level of foam in the skimmer, not checked myself but hers stayed on.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife’s weekly bryopsis plucking session has been cancelled this week. The long fronds look like it’s all dead, the short bits haven’t grown.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back