Microbacter7 question

new2reefing123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.
Can you or have you all ever dosed microbacter7 in your hospital tank while using either cupramine or copper power? Are there any benefits, any problems.

I would like to increase bio diversity within the QT but don’t know if the combination of MB7 and cupramine is a bad idea or not.
Currently my QT has a live rock from BT(yes I know the rock can never go back into the DT, but I would like to add as much BB as I can to assist in the water condition in the QT.
Thanks everyone.

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you should ask that because that's exactly what I've been doing for the last 2+ weeks while quarantining my fish. I'm dosing copper power to a level of 2.1 and have been dosing microbacter7 to keep down the ammonia levels. So far, all the fish are doing well and eating like crazy. I've also done it in the past without any problems.

OP
OP
new2reefing123

new2reefing123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you should ask that because that's exactly what I've been doing for the last 2+ weeks while quarantining my fish. I'm dosing copper power to a level of 2.1 and have been dosing microbacter7 to keep down the ammonia levels. So far, all the fish are doing well and eating like crazy. I've also done it in the past without any problems.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing this info. Much appreciated

OP
OP
new2reefing123

new2reefing123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think using MB7 along side with cupramine would be safe? According to humblefish cupramine theraputic level is .4/.5 where where as copper power is I believe 2.something(can’t remember exactly). I know cupramine is stronger than copper power and I’ve head that adding some products To copper can increase the lethality of the copper concentration making it more toxic than it already is.

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I can't think of a good scientific reason why there would be an interaction, but with the much narrower safety window, I probably wouldn't chance it. I'm sure there are some effects with adding bacteria, such as decreasing O2 concentrations, etc. that might reduce your margin of safety.

OP
OP
new2reefing123

new2reefing123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I can't think of a good scientific reason why there would be an interaction, but with the much narrower safety window, I probably wouldn't chance it. I'm sure there are some effects with adding bacteria, such as decreasing O2 concentrations, etc. that might reduce your margin of safety.
Smart. I won’t risk it. I didn’t realize how tight cupramine was verses copper power. I just got a bottle of that and going forward I will be using that instead of the cupramine. Live and learn as they say.

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a QT 24x7. I just put my latest acquisitions in for cupramine treatment. Several days later ammonia spiked. Even if you keep a QT running full time, you still are in a bind. Raced to put in a filter from my DT, then ran to Petco and picked up Instant Ocean bacteria. The badge is back to yellow. Crossing my fingers....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back