Microbubbles from skimmer

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started my first saltwater tank. Filled and started cycle 3 days ago. The tank was so clean and clear until I decided to start up my skimmer today. I now have ALOT of microbubbles in my DT. Attached are pics of my sump and the microbubbles coming out of my return into my DT.

Questions:
Should my skimmer be releasing so many microbubbles?

How can I reduce the microbubbles if my sump does not have baffles between the skimmer & pump to catch those microbubbles?

Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The setup and skimmer look brand new. They will calm down when the skimmer breaks in. Also you can try letting the water in the return section of the sump go just a little lower so the water has to travel through the bubble trap (the spot where the foam block is) before entering into the return chamber (so nothing bubbles over the top of that last ledge). You can also adjust the air going into the skimmer or if its a DC skimmer turn down the power. Since the system is new you are just trying to break the skimmer in (get rid of all the oils and get a bacteria population) not really trying to skim.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it some time. The micro bubbles will go away once the skimmer is broke in. This will take A couple days to week.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your cycle is complete and there are organics in the water, the skimmer will behave much better. Give it a few weeks, let your cycle complete, and then decide if you have a bubble issue.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back