Microscopic Algae Identification - Available Databases?

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

New to the hobby and being a classic "all the gear and no idea" sort of fellow, I purchased myself a cheap microscope from Amazon.

I don't really believe that I have a "nuisance" algae, it not being particularly prevalent and likely just to be the standard diatom phase, but I was wondering if someone could point me to the direction of the most exhaustive publicly available database of microscopic algae photos?

Attached is my own short clip (any thoughts on it will also be gratefully received!):

Attachments

• algae 0905.mov
    604.3 KB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like Bryopsis. Can you provide a non-microscopic pic or two under white light ?

OP
OP
S

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bryopsis. Can you provide a non-microscopic pic or two under white light ?
Thank you - I will try tomorrow. It is brown and wispy and not like the photos I am seeing on the web of bryopsis. It does look some of the photos on this page : https://reefs.com/magazine/hunting-with-a-microscope/ of diatoms, but I will bow to your greater experience.

In terms of a database of photos do you have anything you can point me to? As much for future reference to be honest.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you - I will try tomorrow. It is brown and wispy and not like the photos I am seeing on the web of bryopsis. It does look some of the photos on this page : https://reefs.com/magazine/hunting-with-a-microscope/ of diatoms, but I will bow to your greater experience.

In terms of a database of photos do you have anything you can point me to? As much for future reference to be honest.
Im guessing diatoms but can also be cyano hence the request for pics

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatoms.

this is your gold mine right here:
Phycokey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back