Microscopy Thread

How to identify a Sponge?​

Yesterday I found a really odd-looking thing on the glass of my tank:
1790709254532.png

(Odd thingy captured with a macro lens)​

The shape was so weird that I had no idea what I was looking at, so the obviously took a closer look under the microscope. It quickly became clear that I was dealing with a sponge, since I saw spicules similar to the ones from post 68 on page 4. (Star-shaped spicules alone could also come from colonial sea squirts, but together with the needle-like ones below they point to a sponge)

What I was seeing were "Monaxons", meaning spicules that don't branch in multiple directions and are simply "needle-like". They still come in quite a few different shapes though:

Sponge - Monaxons.png

(Names of various Monaxons)​

The best match for the spicules I was seeing was "Strongyle", as they didn't change much in thickness and had blunt, rounded ends without being knobbed. A more precise description would probably be "Strongyloxeas" or "Anisostrongyles", but there are so many different types that roughly knowing the group they belong to is already helpful.

However, this alone isn't enough to identify a sponge. So besides these "Megascleres" (large spicules), I also took a close look at the "Microscleres" (small spicules). This specimen had two or three different kinds of those, referred to as Megasters (large asters) and Micrasters (small asters).

B.jpg

(Megasters: "star-shaped" asters called Euasters, or in this case Spherasters or Oxyspherasters)
​
SpherastersTylospherasterStrongylospherasterOxyspheraster
Ray Tips/EndsKnobbedBluntPointy
The spikes are very pointy, so I believe these are "Oxyspherasters".

A.jpg

(Micrasters: also "star-shaped", but with longer rays. These are called Tylasters, Strongylasters or Oxyasters)
​
AstersTylasterStrongylasterOxyaster
Ray Tips/EndsKnobbedBluntPointy
These ones aren't pointy, so I don't think they're Oxyasters. Some of the rays swell a little towards the end, which makes me believe we're looking at Tylasters.

Combined, these different spicules help quite a lot with the identification. The combination matches the family definition of Tethyidae, and after searching through possible species, I found Tethya gracilis, Known in German as the "Wandering Sponge" (freely translated) 😁

The original species description comes from German aquaria and also covers Tethya wilhelma and Tethya minuta, but so far T. gracilis is the best match. To confirm it, I would still need to check the sponge's choanosome (the inner region of the sponge) for Oxyasters, since the images I took are only from the Cortex (outer layer), and measure the Oxyspherasters, as their size, shape and number of rays are what set T. gracilis apart from the other two species.

With measurements and maybe a "fully grown" specimen, it might have been possible to pin down the exact species with reasonable certainty. But I've already done a bunch of reading to get this far, so I think I'll leave it at the family, and maybe genus level for now. 😅

I hope explaining at least a tiny bit of the process I go through when trying to identify sponges was interesting to you all 🙂​

Resources
  • Łukowiak M., 2020. Utilizing sponge spicules in taxonomic, ecological and environmental reconstructions: a review.​
  • Łukowiak et al. 2022. The terminology of sponge spicules.​
  • Spicules.org. free illustrated spicule database based on Łukowiak et al. 2022.​
  • Marine Conservation Society. Sponges of the British Isles ("Sponge V"), glossary of spicule terms.​
  • Sarà 2002. Family Tethyidae Gray, 1848. In: Systema Porifera.​
  • Sarà et al. 2001. Three New Species of Tethya (Porifera: Demospongiae) from German Aquaria.​
  • Santodomingo et al. 2024. Integrative taxonomy of Tethya: description of four new species based on morphology, phylogeny and microbiome diversity.​
  • WoRMS. Tethya gracilis Sarà, Sarà, Nickel & Brümmer, 2001.​
 
Found this thing in the water column, collected with a 25 micron sieve. What do you suppose it is? It is bigger than most things I collect with the sieve. The photo is at 100X, the video is 400X.

IMG_8557.JPG


 
Found this thing in the water column, collected with a 25 micron sieve. What do you suppose it is? It is bigger than most things I collect with the sieve. The photo is at 100X, the video is 400X.

[...]
The only obvious explanation.
 
Took a nanochloropsis culture to a confocal LSM. No phase lenses so only Rhodamin chanel fluorescence with 556
Thank you so much for sharing this 🙂
I assume the red dots are Nannochloropsis and the white segmented filaments a cyanobacteria contamination of the culture?
 
Found this thing in the water column, collected with a 25 micron sieve. What do you suppose it is? It is bigger than most things I collect with the sieve. The photo is at 100X, the video is 400X.
@RobertK when you recorded this "wormy mass", did you happen to see any cnidocytes?

These "bean-shaped" thingies? Sometimes with a visible "rope" inside at high magnification:
Rhodactis_sp_Cnidocyte.jpg

1791310940957.png

​
Possibly ordered like this:

Untitled.png
Pointing "away"/outwards from the tentacle/worm?
​
 
@RobertK when you recorded this "wormy mass", did you happen to see any cnidocytes?

These "bean-shaped" thingies? Sometimes with a visible "rope" inside at high magnification:
Rhodactis_sp_Cnidocyte.jpg

1791310940957.png

​
Possibly ordered like this:

Untitled.png
Pointing "away"/outwards from the tentacle/worm?
​

I didn't see them, but that doesn't mean they weren't there!

These are the highest magnification images I got of it, 1000X with oil immersion:

IMG_8566.JPG


 
I didn't see them, but that doesn't mean they weren't there!

These are the highest magnification images I got of it, 1000X with oil immersion:
Okay, now that's fascinating... I thought it was some Hydrozoa but it looks actually more like a worm... with potential muscle fibers and all...
 
Okay, now that's fascinating... I thought it was some Hydrozoa but it looks actually more like a worm... with potential muscle fibers and all...
A friend of mine asked if it might be a bunch of separate worms feeding on a central object. I thought it looked like it had a central body with many arms. What do you think?

These are 200X (last images I have of it!):

IMG_8558.JPG


 
A friend of mine asked if it might be a bunch of separate worms feeding on a central object. I thought it looked like it had a central body with many arms. What do you think?

These are 200X (last images I have of it!):
That's why I thought it was a hydroid or so. Because it has a central point where all "worms" come together. We would actually see their heads/mouths and moving differently if it were individual worms, imo.
 
That's why I thought it was a hydroid or so. Because it has a central point where all "worms" come together. We would actually see their heads/mouths and moving differently if it were individual worms, imo.
Yes thats what I thought too. Weird!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new