Mid-Way through Red Sea Mature Kit, but now adding TBS Live Rock -- do I now stop adding RedSea Kit?

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a brand new tank (Red Sea Reefer 250). I originally was going to use all Marco Rocks & started using the Red Sea Reef Mature Kit (nitrifying/denitrifying bacteria, No3-PO4-X & KH-Coralline Gro) to help start the tank. I'm now on day 8 out of 21.

Plans changed slightly & I ordered a small order (25# of "The Package") of Tampa Bay Saltwater liverock to add to the Marco Rocks already in the tank. The TBS live rock arrives Wednesday night. Question now is:

Do I continue the Reef Mature Kit once the TBS rocks arrive? Stop? Would the RedSea additives interfere with the natural cycle created by adding TBS rock? Or help? Is it bad to stop the RedSea additives mid-way?

Parameters yesterday were:
Salinity: 1.024 (Milwaukee)
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0.2 (RedSea)
Nitrite: 0.05 (RedSea)
Nitrate: 5 (RedSea)
pH: 8.0-8.2 (RedSea)
kH: 8.17 (Hanna)
Just started seeing a tiny amount of algae growing in the tank (on the glass mostly)

Thank you VERY much for any advice you can give on this -- not sure what to do!

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd continue until tbs gets here, do a water change if necessary to get ammonia 0 before adding the tbs. I'd just monitor parameters after that..

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd continue until tbs gets here, do a water change if necessary to get ammonia 0 before adding the tbs. I'd just monitor parameters after that..

Thank you very much! According to the RedSea schedule, I'm "supposed" to reach Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 & Nitrate 10 by day 10 (Wednesday), but will be sure to do a water change before adding the TBS rock if the ammonia isn't 0 by then. How big of a water change should I do to reduce ammonia from 0.2 --> 0? Sorry if this is obvious :(

Today's Parameters
Salinity: 1.025 (Milwaukee)
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0.2 (RedSea)
Nitrite: 0.5 (RedSea)
Nitrate: 20 (RedSea) -- is it normal that the nitrate is still increasing when the ammonia & nitrite stayed the same?
pH: 8.0 (RedSea)
kH: 8.73 (Hanna)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do 25% and throw in some Prime, so your tbs life doesn't get harmed by ammonia, the prime will give the tbs rock time to process any remaining ammonia.
Everything I've read about tbs there's no talk of ammonia spike, so I think it should be ok.

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do 25% and throw in some Prime, so your tbs life doesn't get harmed by ammonia, the prime will give the tbs rock time to process any remaining ammonia.
Everything I've read about tbs there's no talk of ammonia spike, so I think it should be ok.

Perfect, thank you!!! Glad I picked up Prime a while back even though this was not the plan originally!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back