Midas blenny dying?

charles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my midas was fine literally a couple hours ago. I come back and his anal cavity is just black and he is on the sand bed. Ive had him for a few months and he has been eating everyday and super active. What is this and what can i do? Did he get constipated or something? Its slightly bulged and every few seconds he is wiggling on the bottom. He moved right before i took this photo but he was just on his side out in the open.
image.jpg

OP
OP
C

charles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well…. He died… ive never had a fish die so fast. I havent lost a reef tank fish yet actually. Im so upset… he was so healthy and ate all the time i dont know what happened. I did a freshwater dip before he past when he was barely breathing and no flukes came out. No ich or velvet…. How can a fish deteriorate so fast

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to offer as far as a possible cause. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss. The unknown reasons are the hardest, especially when they're fine one minute and not fine the next. :-(

OP
OP
C

charles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to offer as far as a possible cause. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss. The unknown reasons are the hardest, especially when they're fine one minute and not fine the next. :-(
Yeah… tank feel empty now but ill get over it. Maybe get another in a while

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah… tank feel empty now but ill get over it. Maybe get another in a while

Sorry to hear. Midas blenny are prone to "digestive issues" - I don't know if these are internal parasites, or just malabsorption of food, but many of them don't live past the 6 month mark in aquariums.

Jay

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Midas blenny are prone to "digestive issues" - I don't know if these are internal parasites, or just malabsorption of food, but many of them don't live past the 6 month mark in aquariums.

Jay
Do you mind elaborating on this, I've noticed that quite a few midas that has stomach swell up to a weird looking shape, it's as if their intestinal outlines are showing.

Is this a sign of the aforementioned issue?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind elaborating on this, I've noticed that quite a few midas that has stomach swell up to a weird looking shape, it's as if their intestinal outlines are showing.

Is this a sign of the aforementioned issue?
I’ve seen both issues: swelling that seems to show intestines or severe emaciation where they just waste away. In this case, the black coloration doesn’t match up to those two extremes, so perhaps a third issue?
Jay

OP
OP
C

charles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
That i didnt know…. Such a personable fish. Now im scared to get one in the future

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back