Midas Blenny Loss

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday I bought a Midas Blenny from my LFS. He was active and eating in the store.

I brought him home acclimated him like I would all my other fish. I currently have a black clownfish and a sand sifting goby.

All day yesterday the Blenny was active exploring all the different nooks and crannies of the rock work and generally looking very happy.

This morning however I woke up to him dead in the front of the tank with a couple hermits working on him.

There were no signs of disease or ich on him yesterday nor today. My phosphates and nitrates were also at zero or near zero. The other fish seem fine as well.

Not sure if this is just a case of sudden death syndrome or if anyone has any other comment. All I can think of that could’ve potentially harmed him is the existence of a tiny pistol shrimp in one of the rocks. However I doubt that is the case as it is extremely small and this Blenny was about 5”. Also, the shrimp has not shown any aggression towards the goby.

I also should mention that I did not see any bullying by any other tank mates. And I often dose herbtana when introducing a new fish into the aquarium as well.

FF9DB75C-D2A5-461A-BFDB-4B4543B9AAB0.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday I bought a Midas Blenny from my LFS. He was active and eating in the store.

I brought him home acclimated him like I would all my other fish. I currently have a black clownfish and a sand sifting goby.

All day yesterday the Blenny was active exploring all the different nooks and crannies of the rock work and generally looking very happy.

This morning however I woke up to him dead in the front of the tank with a couple hermits working on him.

There were no signs of disease or ich on him yesterday nor today. My phosphates and nitrates were also at zero or near zero. The other fish seem fine as well.

Not sure if this is just a case of sudden death syndrome or if anyone has any other comment. All I can think of that could’ve potentially harmed him is the existence of a tiny pistol shrimp in one of the rocks. However I doubt that is the case as it is extremely small and this Blenny was about 5”. Also, the shrimp has not shown any aggression towards the goby.

I also should mention that I did not see any bullying by any other tank mates. And I often dose herbtana when introducing a new fish into the aquarium as well.

FF9DB75C-D2A5-461A-BFDB-4B4543B9AAB0.jpeg
I would let the LFS know.

One thing we see is LFS that hold their fish in lower salinity and then people try to acclimate them up to full reef salinity, and fish often don’t handle it well.

Jay

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs keeps there fish at 1.016 salinity I’m sure it’s to save money on salt

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let the LFS know.

One thing we see is LFS that hold their fish in lower salinity and then people try to acclimate them up to full reef salinity, and fish often don’t handle it well.

Jay
What would be your recommendation for acclimating fish to higher salinity?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be your recommendation for acclimating fish to higher salinity?

It depends on the degree of change. Fish can always handle a drop in salinity pretty well. A rise is much rougher on them. If I can, I'll drop the receiving tank's salinity to match the LFS. Otherwise, I try to keep the differential less than .003 specific gravity units - so 1.020 to 1.023 and the acclimate slowly for 1 hour with aeration in the bag. Acclimating shipped fish is different.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back