Midwest 200 Gallon Peninsula

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching astounding build threads like these are such a humbling experience. It really makes me realize how much more I have to learn. You, sir, are an inspiration.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY NICE WHICH CEMENT DID YOU USE TO GLUE THE ROCK IN PLACE THIKING OF DOIN THE SAME FOR MY REEFER 750XXL

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking scape. How does it look form the side panel?

Thanks! I'll get some better pictures of it from all sides once I finish up the final tweaks, this was just a quick teaser pic!

Watching astounding build threads like these are such a humbling experience. It really makes me realize how much more I have to learn. You, sir, are an inspiration.

It's very humbling to have something like this said about me or anything I've done. I truly appreciate it and am glad to be an inspiration! Thank you for the kind words and make a build thread when your time comes, I love reading them all, you never know what small or big ideas you can get from others builds!

VERY NICE WHICH CEMENT DID YOU USE TO GLUE THE ROCK IN PLACE THIKING OF DOIN THE SAME FOR MY REEFER 750XXL

I used the Marco E400 for the majority of the structure and then reinforced areas / attached small pieces with BRS extra thick super glue... Works well!

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Rock on.

Thank you! It's coming together nicely now!

Added Pods on Wednesday!

IMG_20191031_141927__01.jpg

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working every moment on the cord management in and behind my control board. I made major progress today! A few more parts to order from Harry Singer and I'll be able to finish it up!

IMG_20191107_191952__01.jpg

Got the Trident setup today as well so this reef starts from the ground up under Trident control.

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through 7 pages and it was worth every minute. Outstanding build my friend!

Thanks for the compliment! It's been a long journey and even longer in the planning stages. It's nice to finally see some fruits of all that labor!

Can't wait to get some fish in there other than my mollies that are keeping it clean for me while I wait! Hope to add first batch of fish by the end of the year. Next on my to do list is to get the AWC pump running and dialed in... Once that's going it should be autopilot for the next 6-8 weeks while everything stabilizes and I make certain there are no bugs in the system... I have lots of like to accomplish with Apex programming but that is a steep learning curve for me, I need to work some more on figuring out how to take full advantage of the features. Virtual outlets etc are beyond me at this point...

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! Read through the pages and not sure if I missed a few of these details. Did you make your own t5 fixture for your xr30s or would you mind sharing what one you went with? I have been looking for a t5 fixture to add to my tank but haven’t seen any examples that fit the XR30s until I saw your setup.

Also, did you change out all the plugs going into your power strips or is everything simply plugged into extension cords and hidden behind the panels? I really like the cable management youve done!

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! Read through the pages and not sure if I missed a few of these details. Did you make your own t5 fixture for your xr30s or would you mind sharing what one you went with? I have been looking for a t5 fixture to add to my tank but haven’t seen any examples that fit the XR30s until I saw your setup.

Also, did you change out all the plugs going into your power strips or is everything simply plugged into extension cords and hidden behind the panels? I really like the cable management youve done!

Thanks for the compliments!

As far as the T5 fixture goes, I did not make it, it's the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid with the widest span bars they make so you can place the XR30s perpendicular to the length of the tank. I did take the fixture apart and flip the ballast on one side of it so that all the cords run out of one end and make it much easier to install cleanly on my peninsula build.

The cords on my control panel are 1' extension cords from Amazon they simply clean up the plug layout and allow me to label them all and then behind the panel plug whatever device it is I need into them. This also allows me to use y-splitter extension cords on the things that control several things at once (for instance the T5s are corded for each side separately so that cable is a splitter and let's the Apex turn the T5 on and off with a single outlet)

The cable management was the longest process so far... And is still a work in progress but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Great info, especially with the T5 setup. Did it come with the spacer or did you have to buy separately?

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Great info, especially with the T5 setup. Did it come with the spacer or did you have to buy separately?

Separately. The 24" is what you need to mount the XR30S the way I did.

These are the mounts for each radion:

These are the endplates:

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been absent for a bit but I've been hard at work. Since it's winter and heating my quarantine tanks in the garage will become a problem I wanted a more permanent quarantine system that gets fed water from the display when it performs it's daily AWC.

I built a stand to hold 2x 20 gal long tanks... Then got to work setting it up. I should have water in them and the AWC running through them by next week. I'm currently waiting on an extra long aquabus cable... Once I have that I can tie all of the Neptune gear on the quarantine systems into my main Apex.

The idea is the display will AWC about 2 gallons per day and dump it into those 2 tanks... After that the Dos will pull 1gal out of each of the quarantine tanks and push it down the drain. This will continuously change the water of my quarantine tanks AND keep the parameters of them the same as my display. In theory...

IMG_20191125_203923__01.jpg

OP
OP
special-ops-s2k

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT UPDATE:

Water in the tanks, lighting setup, fully integrated with my Apex and some test coral frags along with the first batch of snails for my CUC are in and doing well. Lines have been run for the AWC and now it's just figuring out the Apex programming. Need to get some plexiglass lids made to limit evaporation...

IMG_20191203_184849__01__01.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back