Millepora polyps extension

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, please help me to figure out what happened with my green milli

It was claimed as mariculture and delivered together with pink milli 2 months ago. Maybe one of them had some flatworms etc. But at least for 1 months haven't seen them. Had a treatment with FM AEFW X and continue to dose KZ Flatworm Stop with KZ Coral Booster (also I have 2 wrasses in my 40G system)

The problem is: for the last 2 weeks it shows significantly worse polyp extension than before.

On March 29th:

75.jpg

Then I noticed that the left branch became much less fluffy (it sat on that spot about 1.5 months). I'd say almost without extended polyps. So I swapped it with Bali Shortcake (it's on the right side of pink milli).
But without any success.

Now it looks like:
72.jpg

I cut the branch that firstly shown signs of bad PE and put it into another place to see what happens.
So, now both millies are on the same place but they look completely different. The pink milli is fluffy and happy, the green milli not.
At night there's the same difference: pink milli has a lot of well-extended polyps, green milli hasn't.

73.jpg

Obviously they have the same flow and approximately the same PAR. Pink milli has PAR between 320 and 340 depends on the side, green milli around 360. It's not a big difference with the previous spot which has PAR 350. All the values measured with Apogee SQ-520. Also, my Hydras are around 12" above water level, so PAR distribution is expected to be pretty uniform. And as I said before, both millies are maricultured, so they probably were acclimatized well to strong solar radiation

Water parameters are:
KH 8 (measured yesterday)
Calcium was not measured, but I suppose it's in the range 450-500. Last ICP 1 month ago said it was 470. I use TM All For Reef as a supplement.
Salinity 35
NO3 between 1 and 2 mg/l (measured yesterday)
PO4 .06 mg/l (measured yesterday)
Temp around 77-78

Supplements are used:
PO4 (around .01 mg/l daily, otherwise it would drop to undetectable levels)
TM All For Reef 12ml/day
Reef Energy AB+ (2ml, it's at least 3 times less than recommended dosing for my volume)
KZ Flatworm Stop + KZ Coral Booster (like in the manual)

Fish stock:
Kole tang, Gramma loreto, 2 Wrasses, few blue Chromis. Nothing that could nip or bother polyps

Well, 3 weeks ago I started to dose Red Sea Reef Energy AB+, but not sure if it caused that problem. Other acros look healthy to me

Any suggestion?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fun of reefing. It makes no sense! Try to move it again?!? Maybe flow. Is the whole colony getting flow or is it streaking across the top?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fun of reefing. It makes no sense! Try to move it again?!? Maybe flow. Is the whole colony getting flow or is it streaking across the top?
To move in which position? Upper, lower...?
Flow for me looks good, gentle, non-direct and pretty random

Upvote 0

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I don't know. The flow looks great and the other milli is spectacular. The only observation I can make is that the tips look fine but the lower parts of the colony not so much. Weird

Upvote 0

jwalker314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but this looks like it could be a gorilla crab. Very common on mariculture pieces, I'd ditch the base too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220523-233440_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-233440_Chrome.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but this looks like it could be a gorilla crab. Very common on mariculture pieces, I'd ditch the base too.
There was no gorilla crab I think, and I dipped that milli so many times in different dips... even with iodine. I doubt gorilla crab would survive.

Anyway, that's how it looks now. Much better, right?

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back