Mini Complete Tank... World's Smallest Reef?

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ato setup has been flawless for me. Highly recommend it to anyone setting one of these up. Only downside is my idea requires drilling.

Screenshot_20200922-225800_Instagram.jpg
What ATO exactly is that? Parts as well? Buying them tonight LOLOL

Nicely done.. I am not scared of drilling lol

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ATO exactly is that? Parts as well? Buying them tonight LOLOL

Nicely done.. I am not scared of drilling lol

That is an XP Aqua Flood guardian with a Avast Marine Diaphragm pump. I have it set on a smart outlet to run every 3 hrs . You could do the same thing with a Smart ato micro, i just had these parts on hand so I used them.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an XP Aqua Flood guardian with a Avast Marine Diaphragm pump. I have it set on a smart outlet to run every 3 hrs . You could do the same thing with a Smart ato micro, i just had these parts on hand so I used them.
Was contemplating the same top off I use for all my tanks! LOL the Duetto ATO..

Right on how hard was it drilling through? Any special kind of bit for your drill? Thanks for the pic too! Sweet sump LOL

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was contemplating the same top off I use for all my tanks! LOL the Duetto ATO..

Right on how hard was it drilling through? Any special kind of bit for your drill? Thanks for the pic too! Sweet sump LOL

Its a soft plastic so it was very easy to drill , I used a small bit at first and gradually stepped up to i think a 1/2" bit .

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a soft plastic so it was very easy to drill , I used a small bit at first and gradually stepped up to i think a 1/2" bit .
Thanks so much for the tips! Looking forward to making an update video for the series!

Mirya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't feed them, baby rock flowers grow pretty slow. I specifically asked about specs in the Q&A and Colin said he hadn't fed them, he was running stock lights, and he'd had them in there a year. I've had baby rock flowers in my main tank and I agree, if I target feed them, they'll get to quarter size pretty fast. If I don't, they grow but slowly.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't feed them, baby rock flowers grow pretty slow. I specifically asked about specs in the Q&A and Colin said he hadn't fed them, he was running stock lights, and he'd had them in there a year. I've had baby rock flowers in my main tank and I agree, if I target feed them, they'll get to quarter size pretty fast. If I don't, they grow but slowly.
Right on! Look most everything right? Lack of nutrients in a way stunts their growth from getting out of hand! Right on. Also if I am able to keep this thing up running and happy for a year I will be pretty pumped.
That tank would be so cool with dwarf seahorses!
Way to small for seahorses! Go watch the video youll see how truly small the tank is!
giphy.gif

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heat controller is in...

Now ..decisions ..decisions when it comes the ATO I am leaning towards a XP Aqua Duetto

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 4.48.34 PM.png

This tank is really fun and intriguing me to see how well I can maintain a tiny tiny established reef.. ZOAS/Macros/ and one more "show" coral will go in and then stocking I am leaning towards sexy shrimp! (hoping to see two pairing off at the LFS then will go for the love birds)

Let me know what you think I should run for the ATO

giphy.gif

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heat controller is in...

Now ..decisions ..decisions when it comes the ATO I am leaning towards a XP Aqua Duetto

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 4.48.34 PM.png

This tank is really fun and intriguing me to see how well I can maintain a tiny tiny established reef.. ZOAS/Macros/ and one more "show" coral will go in and then stocking I am leaning towards sexy shrimp! (hoping to see two pairing off at the LFS then will go for the love birds)

Let me know what you think I should run for the ATO

giphy.gif

Duetto would work perfectly

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He's adorable, but I wouldn't put a pistol in a tank that size. They like a lot of space to burrow in. Mine started at about that size, and tunneled all through a 6" by 6" area pretty quickly. Also, they make a mess.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's adorable, but I wouldn't put a pistol in a tank that size. They like a lot of space to burrow in. Mine started at about that size, and tunneled all through a 6" by 6" area pretty quickly. Also, they make a mess.
The whole tank is his and the sandbed is an inch and a half all the way through. Going to see how he takes to it, and if dont see much activity or he begins to grow him out I will swap him out! If and when needed!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem with the shrimp is, that tank won't kill him, or make him act like he's dying. Like how a dog kept in a too-small backyard and never taken out won't die. Depth of sandbed doesn't matter, it's about square footage, and there really isn't enough in such a small tank for an active critter like a pistol shrimp. Their burrow system covers a pretty wide area compared to their size.

Maybe try sexy shrimp instead.

Back