Mini Display Refugium??

Discussion in 'Macroalgae (all types of desirable algae)' started by clownenthusiast2017, Jul 11, 2018.

1. clownenthusiast2017

clownenthusiast2017 Well-Known Member

Hey #reefsquad!!

I've been wanting to add a small refugium to my 32 gallon cube and I love some of your display refugiums. It got me thinking about setting up a little one next to my aquarium. I was thinking maybe a large vase or glass container with a light that can sit next to my cube. I was wondering if anyone had this kind of setup and/or anyone knew how it could be done?

This was just an idea that popped into my head and was wondering if it was possible?

Thanks so much!! I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this project!!

2. glb

glb Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I’m planning a sump refugium now. If it’s going to be on display, had you thought about adding a few mangroves? They’re super cool.

clownenthusiast2017 likes this.
  3. clownenthusiast2017

I actually did want to!! You should definitely add some to yours also even though it'll be in the sump. I'm trying to figure out if it's even possible to have such a tiny refugium. And how I would hook it up to the main tanko_O

glb likes this.
  4. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

Yep, there are a few examples out there. The best known is Julian Sprung's remote sump/display fuge.

5. clownenthusiast2017

I'll look into it! Would you happen to know how it's connected to the display?

6. Chef Tommy

Chef Tommy Active Member R2R Supporter

Great post! I added a 7.5 aquamaxx cube to my 75 display. It's plumbed from a manifold and drains back into skimmer chamber. I'm using a Prime HD for lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm running a Triton dosing program and also have 10 gallons of a refugium in the sump. I really like the display unit though and hope to use a 25 gallon cube for my next upgrade. I'm not sure if mangroves assist that much with nutrient reduction but they are just really fun for me to have.

7. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

There is a pump that fills it from the DT and then it gravity feeds back, I believe

8. clownenthusiast2017

that's an awesome little fuge! I want something like that but it would have to connect to my display since I don't have a sump

Chef Tommy likes this.
  9. Chef Tommy

Look at the aquamaxx tanks on Marine Depot. They have an awesome selection of sizes available. To get water to fuge maybe t-off the return pump or there are small pumps out there where you might be able to fit another into your filter chamber.

10. glb

glb Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I've read that too. You'd have to have a ton to make a nutrient difference, but they are cool.

11. Chef Tommy

[​IMG]

This mangrove might play a little nutrient reduction though. This is a local shop in New Orleans.

rmchoi, najer and clownenthusiast2017 like this.
  12. clownenthusiast2017

wowwwww

13. clownenthusiast2017

googling it now!

Chef Tommy likes this.