Missing fish

NewEnglishMutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished cycling my new 60gal. Got some live rock, a little algae growth, a few snails and two Talbot Damsels. I put the second damsel in yesterday morning. They were introduced one day apart. This morning I wake up and notice only one damsel. I looked everywhere. There aren’t many rocks I overturned every single one, checked the wave maker, the heater, the inlet and outlet for the canister filter. The thing vanished into thin water. Any ideas?
95a1fb6813f9942b371ab4dfd2f929e3.jpg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he jumped? If any of mine jump, the dog eats them. If it died or was killed, your snails and crabs could’ve eaten it all by the time you woke up. Also, is it possible there’s a mantis in your tank? Maybe one came on your rock...

Nice tank, btw!

OP
OP
NewEnglishMutt

NewEnglishMutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he jumped? If any of mine jump, the dog eats them. If it died or was killed, your snails and crabs could’ve eaten it all by the time you woke up. Also, is it possible there’s a mantis in your tank? Maybe one came on your rock...

Nice tank, btw!

I have a glass top, no way for it to jump. No crabs just snails, and only 5 at that, they’re all still on the same rocks they were on when I went to bed. I doubt there’s anything more than a bristle worm at most in the rocks I bought, it’s hard to find rocks with anything living more than bacteria around my area. My only thought is maybe the other damsel ate it? But I’d expect to find SOMETHING. The new damsel is the missing one, a little smaller than the remaining fish.

Thanks for the compliment! It’s a good start but a lot left to do!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass top, no way for it to jump. No crabs just snails, and only 5 at that, they’re all still on the same rocks they were on when I went to bed. I doubt there’s anything more than a bristle worm at most in the rocks I bought, it’s hard to find rocks with anything living more than bacteria around my area. My only thought is maybe the other damsel ate it? But I’d expect to find SOMETHING. The new damsel is the missing one, a little smaller than the remaining fish.

Thanks for the compliment! It’s a good start but a lot left to do!
I’ve never seen a damsel eat another fish. I guess it’s possible. I have had a fish get stuck in a rock. Maybe he will show up soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back