Mixed calcium powder with bicarbonate

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

My aquarium is a bit low on both alkalinity and calcium, so i added two teaspoons of Bicarbonate and 25 gr of Calcium something powder in a jug and it started to sizzle. Is that normal? :) Should i wait until the solution is completely clear and then drip it?

My system volume is 750 litres and current Alkalinity is just below 8 and Calcium 388. I guess these values are ok, but i noticed over time it's dropping so i want to counter add this solution so that it won't drop to low. Oh and one more thing, can i add this solution directly to my top off system? It's a 50 liter container. My Magnesium is 1284.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there!

My aquarium is a bit low on both alkalinity and calcium, so i added two teaspoons of Bicarbonate and 25 gr of Calcium something powder in a jug and it started to sizzle. Is that normal? :) Should i wait until the solution is completely clear and then drip it?

My system volume is 750 litres and current Alkalinity is just below 8 and Calcium 388. I guess these values are ok, but i noticed over time it's dropping so i want to counter add this solution so that it won't drop to low. Oh and one more thing, can i add this solution directly to my top off system? It's a 50 liter container. My Magnesium is 1284.
I would throw it away - the two chemicals reacted - and you really have no clue how much has precipitated - vs how much you're adding

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any dissolved calcium additive mixed with any dissolved bicarbonate (alkalinity) additive will precipitate useless calcium carbonate.

They must be dosed separately.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as it didnt cause precipitate to form and float around its likely fine. The sizzle could have been from the chemical reacting to the water.

I always opt to premix into a liquid solution before dosing though.

Edit: reread your post and if you added them both to a jar and not the tank, throw it out.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! I have discarded the solution now, and mixed new ones :) i am currently dripping them from two bags into my sump. Have a great weekend guys, and thank you again for helping me ☺️

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back