Mixed findings on filtration; don’t want to ruin anything with the wrong method. Advice on timing?

die.kriegerin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I searched some of the key words in my question but haven’t found much, and I read mixed reviews on this subject:

I’ve had a 5gal pico reef running for about a month now. It has the stock filter in it. There’s also a cherry shrimp in there. Seems happy; molted in 4 days. It interacts with me when I feed it! I want to add a low light beginner coral eventually, when I can afford it.

I’ve done one 25% water change and I’m about to do another 20%. The water is clear. But when should I change the filter? Do I never change it because of the bacterial balance and then add additional, changeable media?

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you’re talking about something like filter floss or filter sock? If so you want to change it out as it gets full or every few days whichever comes first. Your live rock is where your bacteria reside. Although they will reside in the filter as well, the population in your rock is what you rely on to manage your tanks bio filter. Hope I answered your question. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I searched some of the key words in my question but haven’t found much, and I read mixed reviews on this subject:

I’ve had a 5gal pico reef running for about a month now. It has the stock filter in it. There’s also a cherry shrimp in there. Seems happy; molted in 4 days. It interacts with me when I feed it! I want to add a low light beginner coral eventually, when I can afford it.

I’ve done one 25% water change and I’m about to do another 20%. The water is clear. But when should I change the filter? Do I never change it because of the bacterial balance and then add additional, changeable media?

Do to have live rock?

What is the filter? A sponge?

Biological filteration wise...the live rock does the heavy lifting for reef tanks and you use throw away floss or carbon or such for mechanical/chemical filtration.

What light do you have? Corals need lights that can sustain them. Not just any light.

OP
OP
die.kriegerin

die.kriegerin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do to have live rock?

What is the filter? A sponge?

Biological filteration wise...the live rock does the heavy lifting for reef tanks and you use throw away floss or carbon or such for mechanical/chemical filtration.

What light do you have? Corals need lights that can sustain them. Not just any light.

I have 2 live rocks in there and 1/2” live sand.

I’m not up to lighting $ yet; still deciding if I even want coral.

OP
OP
die.kriegerin

die.kriegerin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you’re talking about something like filter floss or filter sock? If so you want to change it out as it gets full or every few days whichever comes first. Your live rock is where your bacteria reside. Although they will reside in the filter as well, the population in your rock is what you rely on to manage your tanks bio filter. Hope I answered your question. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking.
Thank you!

I do have about 8lbs of live rock in there and 1/2” live sand. For the filter, it’s one of those cartridges with carbon in it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I do have about 8lbs of live rock in there and 1/2” live sand. For the filter, it’s one of those cartridges with carbon in it.

You change those as it will get clogged with particles and the carbon does not last forever.

OP
OP
die.kriegerin

die.kriegerin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np, just be sure to wash the new carbon filter. They can be dusty.

What brand of 5g pico do you have?
Will do!

It’s a top fin. At first I didn’t have plans to do this but it evolved and I really like the hobby. I could easily spend hours on it without realizing!

Back