Mixed Reef Cube Build

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals welcome to my build thread. I have been in this hobby, in one capacity or another, for nearly 20 years. After a short hiatus. It's time I get my hands wet again. Let's get to the build.

I decided I wanted to go small on the new build so after looking around I decided on the Waterbox 20.
Waterbox-20.jpg

Next it was time to decide on lighting. After researching all the new options on the market I decided to go with AI Prime 16HD

AI-Prime.jpg

Next I decided to pick up some Marco Rocks and start aquascaping.

Marco Rocks.jpg

After staring at the dry, dead rock for about a week I started thinking back to the last tank I had started with dry rock. Let's just say I wasn't all that pleased with how long it took the tank to mature. I battled every kind of nuisance algae that you can think of. Was this because of the dry rock? I can't say for sure but I hadn't dealt with so many issues early on in the past using live rock.

Anyway, I decided to ditch the Marco rock and order some premium live rock from KP Aquatics. I was so happy that I did. This was similar to the live rock I remembered early on in the hobby, It was filled with life! I found pistol shrimp, pods, starfish, urchins, mirthrax crabs, and things I'm still trying to identify. Yay!

KP-Live-Rock.jpg

I like to take things slow. As they say, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I let the tank cycle and mature over the next few months without coral (Ignore the anemone, he was in there for a weekend sleepover). I know that's a long time for some but as I said, I'm in no hurry.

FTS.jpg

Leather.jpg

leather-2.jpg

And that's where we are as of today. I will continue to post updates and thanks for following along.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank, and welcome back to the hobby!! :)

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on the tank. I've added a hammer coral, blue "xenia" (Cespitilaria), and ricordea. I also added two clownfish. One standard ocellaris and a mocha ocellaris. I have a shipment coming from Jason Fox next week and will update once the corals settle in.

I still have a little cyano hanging around but it has mostly cleared up.

fish-1.jpg
hammer.jpg
Leather Coral.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics as promised.

JF Mango Coolers
Mango-Cooler-1.jpg

JF Enchanted Forest Birdsnest
Enchanted-Forest-BN.jpg

JF King Midas
King-Midas-2.jpg

JF Fairy Sword Sinularia
Fairy-Sword-Sinulara.jpg

And my clowns
Clowns-2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning any other fish and inverts? Or keep it simple with the nice clowns?
I do have plans to add more fish as follows.
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Yellow Watchmen Goby

As for inverts, I currently have a (2) pistol shrimp (hitchhikers), red mirthrax crab (hitchhiker), 5 Cerith snails, 5 blue legged hermits, and several mini brittle starfish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few new arrivals

Rainbow Goni, Magma Mountain Porites, JF Strawberry Cyphastrea, JF Boston Bean Digi, Afterburner Shroom, Bounce Shroom, War Coral.

DBE5905D-9777-4A1E-8D72-2C92FF83E8E8.JPG
EF819910-632C-4E8F-BE9B-D6E7C6F16A7E.JPG
Cyphastrea.jpg
Boston Bean.jpg
Afterburner Shroom.jpg
Shroom.jpg
war coral.jpg

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my previous tanks, I have always run Phoenix 14K MH. So, I have been tweaking my AI Prime settings to get a similar look and I feel that I have come pretty close with this setting.

I started with a mix between Saxby and BRS AB+ and tweaked it from there. I may end up slowly adding just a little more CW. But for now, everything seems happy and I find it visually appealing.

I also included my settings for the Nero-3 as I have seen a few threads asking where people run them.
Lights and Flow.jpg

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few updated pics with a full tank shot. The tank seems to be maturing well, the cyano has mostly cleared up other than the back wall and a small amount on one rock. The corals are all growing and have great polyp extension.

Mostly just updating this for my own records.

Attachments

• zoas-3.jpg
    zoas-3.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 80
  • hammer.jpg
    hammer.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Sinularia.jpg
    Sinularia.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Clown-1.jpg
    Clown-1.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Clown-3.jpg
    Clown-3.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 90
  • fts.jpg
    fts.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest is showing some good growth which is exciting for me as I have never had much luck with them. Even when other SPS would thrive my BN always seemed to either slowly die or just survive with little growth.

BN-Growth.jpg

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another tank update.
I had to leave town for a few weeks and had a friend watching my tank. When I returned, I noticed the base of my birdsnest was losing tissue and my digitata had no polyp extension. After running some tests I found my nitrates had spiked over 200ppm! :eek:.

After a few water changes over 3 days, I managed to get them down to 20ppm. I plan to bring them down more slowly from here until I reach the desired level. The tissue necrosis seems to have stopped and over the last week, PE has been good. Hopefully, it recovers. The digitata has fully recovered and looks as healthy as it did before.

I guess this is repayment for being excited the BN was thriving. :p

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i see an updated Boston bean picture i have a frag on the way and want to see one

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some investigation, I have figured out the source of my high nitrates.

I had vacuumed the sandbed several times, did multiple large water changes, and began carbon dosing. Yet, my nitrates would rise back up after just a few days. Perplexed, I started moving rocks, pumps, and etc looking for anything that may be the cause.

While pulling media from the second chamber of the AIO, I noticed a large sponge had been left at the bottom of the chamber. I could have sworn I removed it when I set up the tank but yet there it was.

As you can imagine it was quite nasty considering it had never been cleaned. I still have no idea how I missed it being in there but I'm quite happy I discovered it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back