OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now .......

:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

You are right, it probably wasn't Cold bloody murder. My murder hermit has yet to go after my nassarius snails. It was probably opportunistic like you said, and now it wants to wear its victory.
Haha, I've always loved them in spite of their quirks. I'm glad yours hasn't gone after your nassarius. This is a first for me. I've lost a lot of astrea turbos, and even smaller conchs.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I've always loved them in spite of their quirks. I'm glad yours hasn't gone after your nassarius. This is a first for me. I've lost a lot of astrea turbos, and even smaller conchs.
I mean Astreas are just asking to be eaten. Falling over and not being able to right themselves. It's easy picking. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I do love my murder hermit despite its quirks. I would love to add it to my DT, but I'm scared it will kill my scarlet hermit, and then I will be upset.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean Astreas are just asking to be eaten. Falling over and not being able to right themselves. It's easy picking. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I do love my murder hermit despite its quirks. I would love to add it to my DT, but I'm scared it will kill my scarlet hermit, and then I will be upset.
Haha yeah, the odds really aren't in their favor. But I don't blame you with the murder hermit - I get attached to all of the little creatures in the tank, even the cleanup crew.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done a daylight/non-windex colored FTS in a while. So FTS Friday from this afternoon:

FTS - side 7-15-22.jpg

FTS - Front - 7-15-22.jpg

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lid on my tank to prevent jumpers, which thankfully haven’t been an issue. When I was doing a fishless fallow and during the early days, I went without a lid. Today, during my water change, I had an unexpected escapee:

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on week 3 of slowly trimming back my overgrown zoa colony. It was really encroaching on some of my SPS and I admittedly slacked on my maintenance in that area. I've fragged a good amount for local reefers, but much of it is wedged into the nooks and crannies and I've been hitting it with the Aiptasia X. The problem with the Aiptasia X is that it's largely kalkwasser which can cause a PH spike (and boost Alk and Calcium too), so I try to limit the amount I put in the tank at once. Hence the "slowly" trimming part. Anyway, it's starting to come along (though I have about 2 weeks left, I'd estimate):

Before:
zoa culling before.jpg

And as of today:
after zoa culling.jpg

My Tailspot Blenny's favorite spot is on a small chunk of red monti cap where he can look out over the living room. But when we're working or doing anything on the other side of the tank, he "prairie dogs" like this to see what we're doing. Specifically, to see if we have food. We love it - these behaviors are why they're probably my favorite fish:
TSB prairie dogging.jpg

Finally, the oldest inhabitant in my tank is actually this Nassarius Snail. Her name is Sir Lady Bacon. Her name was Sir Bacon (after the explorer Sir Francis Bacon) until we saw her laying eggs on the glass - then we added the "lady." The last several weeks, she's developed a habit of coming up to the rim of the tank (out of the water) during a water change. It's really weird. Today I hand fed her a couple of pellets while she was up there and she took them readily. I'm wondering if snails can associate certain things with meals and if it'll have any impact on whether or not she continues the behavior. In any case, it's cool:
escaping snail.jpg

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Watchman Goby ("Goober" - thanks to my fiancée) is pretty active (along with his buddy, "Randy" the pistol shrimp), but he seems to hate the camera (same, little buddy) and isn't the easiest to get photos of. He bolts for the cave every time I bring the phone anywhere near the tank. But he's slowly getting more comfortable with it. I have to say, I love the Goby/Shrimp combo in these little tanks. It's so much easier to see them. Hopefully the shrimp lets me get a couple of snaps.

YWG1.jpg

YWG2.jpg

Also, that hammer above Goobs has been one of the more infuriating pieces in my tank. I've had it since around the New Year - it came from a local reefer who has had the mother colony in his system for about 3 years. It looks and acts healthy in my tank, but it hasn't shown even a hint of growing. In the meantime, I have 2 different frogspawns go from 1 to 4 heads and 1 to 2 heads. I don't know if I've ever had a coral remain basically neutral for almost 7 months before. Usually by that time you'll see some growth or signs it is struggling. Hopefully it starts to grow.

On the positive coral note, this PC Rainbow is growing into one of my favorite pieces in the tank. I got it as a freebie back in February from a guy I bought a few other frags off of. At the time it was a solid brownish/red color and VERY small. It's really taken off over the past few months and the color is getting pretty impressive - lots of yellow and green mixed in. I can't wait to see how it looks as it gets bigger.
PC Rainbow.jpg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Watchman Goby ("Goober" - thanks to my fiancée) is pretty active (along with his buddy, "Randy" the pistol shrimp), but he seems to hate the camera (same, little buddy) and isn't the easiest to get photos of. He bolts for the cave every time I bring the phone anywhere near the tank. But he's slowly getting more comfortable with it. I have to say, I love the Goby/Shrimp combo in these little tanks. It's so much easier to see them. Hopefully the shrimp lets me get a couple of snaps.

YWG1.jpg

YWG2.jpg

Also, that hammer above Goobs has been one of the more infuriating pieces in my tank. I've had it since around the New Year - it came from a local reefer who has had the mother colony in his system for about 3 years. It looks and acts healthy in my tank, but it hasn't shown even a hint of growing. In the meantime, I have 2 different frogspawns go from 1 to 4 heads and 1 to 2 heads. I don't know if I've ever had a coral remain basically neutral for almost 7 months before. Usually by that time you'll see some growth or signs it is struggling. Hopefully it starts to grow.

On the positive coral note, this PC Rainbow is growing into one of my favorite pieces in the tank. I got it as a freebie back in February from a guy I bought a few other frags off of. At the time it was a solid brownish/red color and VERY small. It's really taken off over the past few months and the color is getting pretty impressive - lots of yellow and green mixed in. I can't wait to see how it looks as it gets bigger.
PC Rainbow.jpg
you should see me try to sneak up on my watchman and pistol pair for photos and videos. I usually drop to the floor, well before I get over to the tank. I then crawl (below their view) to the tank. I then raise my phone up (VEEEERY slowly) while keeping myself still on the floor out of site. I hold the phone up like this for pictures and videos. My husband used to asked "what the heck I was doing". He is used to it now, and either completely ignores me or just rolls his eyes with affection :face-with-tears-of-joy: .

Sorry about the hammer frustrations. I cant really help in that department. You saw what happened to mine and I am still too timid to try again. I have heard people say that some corals just grow well in some tanks and don't in others. Ive seen multiple posts from people claiming that just cant keep a certain kind of coral in their tank no matter what they do. Hopefully that provides some solace.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should see me try to sneak up on my watchman and pistol pair for photos and videos. I usually drop to the floor, well before I get over to the tank. I then crawl (below their view) to the tank. I then raise my phone up (VEEEERY slowly) while keeping myself still on the floor out of site. I hold the phone up like this for pictures and videos. My husband used to asked "what the heck I was doing". He is used to it now, and either completely ignores me or just rolls his eyes with affection :face-with-tears-of-joy: .

Sorry about the hammer frustrations. I cant really help in that department. You saw what happened to mine and I am still too timid to try again. I have heard people say that some corals just grow well in some tanks and don't in others. Ive seen multiple posts from people claiming that just cant keep a certain kind of coral in their tank no matter what they do. Hopefully that provides some solace.
Haha I can relate. My fiancee thinks I'm nuts (in an endearing way, I think/hope). But I may have to try some sneakier tactics like yours.

Thanks. I don't like putting anything in here unless I think it's got a very good chance to survive. But I do know it's a crapshoot with some of these.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more my goby and shrimp pair get accustomed to this tank, the more I can’t believe I’ve never had one before. The behavior is fascinating (and often funny). My hermit crabs have a tendency to go into the goby/shrimp’s hole and it almost always ends the same way… I hear a “snap!” And see the pistol shrimp promptly carrying and tossing the stunned crab out of the hole like a TV bartender tossing an unruly patron out of the bar. It happened again today, and here’s a photo of the immediate aftermath (crab is fine - wandered off for food immediately after):

778F96F9-341A-4006-9006-9DFAC5F39855.jpeg

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy 1st Birthday to my reef! One year ago today I put water in the tank and it’s been wet ever since.

It’s been a pretty wild reintroduction to reefing after over 5 years out of the hobby. And while I’m not new to reefing, this tank marked a lot of firsts for me (which I’ll go over below). And while my experience has largely been positive, there have been ups and downs which I’ll get into below as well.

Fist off, here’s a before and after photo. Day 1 vs. today:

Then:
tank day 1.jpeg

Now:
8-4-reef-now.jpg

Firsts! Some things that were new to me this go around:
  • This is my first “small” nano (my prior smallest was nearly twice as big at 26 gallons)
  • This is my first “rimless” tank
  • I’ve got my first pair of “designer” clowns
  • I also have my first pistol/goby pair
  • This is my first time using seawater I collect myself rather than a salt mix
The Bad. It wasn’t all good, here are some of the lowlights from year 1:
  • Ich - The single worst experience I had with this tank was a deadly ich outbreak last fall, and it was entirely my fault. I impulse bought an orchid dottyback in November from a source I didn’t know very well and I dropped it in the tank. Eventually, all three fish (including my blenny and clown) were symptomatic. I did not have a QT ready to go, so I had another reefer do it for me. The blenny (my favorite fish) died within days. The dottyback also didn’t make it. The clown is healthy and lives with the guy who quarantined it. But this event had me questioning whether or not I want to leave the hobby again.
  • Parameter swings - These tiny tanks can swing rapidly. I lost two acros after a salinity swing (forgot to plug my ATO in after a water change).
  • Space - I love my EVO, but man is it small! There’s not a ton of space in the display and rear chambers are even tinier. I know this is stating the obvious and I knew it was small when I started, but running it as a peninsula (and having to keep the aquascape away from the glass on 3 sides) makes it feel even smaller.
  • Planning - In my first post I said, “Eventually, I plan on upgrading the light and growing some SPS. But… baby steps.” I wish I had focused more on those baby steps. I pieced together a patchwork collection of live rock which I don’t regret. But I do with I had planned my aquascape a bit more and I wish I had planned it for SPS on top. I’ve done fine with winging it, but I still get jealous of the tanks with the really nice, thought out aquascapes.
  • Collecting seawater – It’s COLD here in the winter and collecting 5 gallons from the jetty at the beach could range from chilly to downright treacherous. I expected this, but it did involve several days of walking down, looking at the rough surf or snow/ice covered rocks and “noping” right out of there. I only missed one week of water changes though.
The Good. Ok, now for the highlights:
  • Natural Sea Water! – It’s been better than expected. A lot, actually. Between the live rock and the seawater, there was no cycle (literally never tested ammonia in this tank). And between the bacteria and the little microorganisms in the water, water change day is like a feeding frenzy for the coral which extends polyps rather than contracts when I’m adding the new water. I’ve also had minimal algae issues – some slight hair algae early on which went away quickly as well as a brief bit of cyano. But the bacterial diversity has largely been beneficial in my opinion. It’s nice not worrying about screwing up the salinity since it’s 1.024 by default. Finally, it’s also been cheaper. I have not bought salt mix.
  • Inverts – One of the perks of the small tank is that you can see the small stuff more. I’ve never bothered with sexy shrimp, pom pom crabs, pistol shrimp, etc. in bigger tanks because you never see them. But I seem my tiny inverts all the time and in many ways, they’re the stars of the show.
  • Upgradeability – I’ve never had a tank before that has so many custom-made components. Between lids, media baskets, nozzles, plugs, lifts, etc. there are a ton of off the shelf upgrades you can do with this tank.
  • Pest busters – maybe it’s because the tank is so small, but I actually have been able to see my bumblebee snails munch on vermatids and watch my peppermint shrimp pick at aiptasia. One year in and I haven’t seen an aiptasia anemone in months and the vermatid population is on the decline. It does take months, however.
  • Coral growth – Most of my coral is growing exceptionally well. Some of the SPS is growing slower than I’d like and one hammer is sort of stagnant. But I’ve only had a couple of corals not make it and I’ve had some surprise me with how well they are doing.
  • Collecting seawater – Yeah, this is on both lists. The cold wasn’t fun, but collecting has given me an excuse to get out to the beach at least once every week. I’ve really enjoyed that. I had the beach to myself from about November through April, and now I’m a little salty about sharing in the warmer months!
What’s next? Honestly, not much. Maybe a clam (I've saved a spot for a Crocea), but I've never kept one before and I'm nervous about it. But apart from that, it'll be most growing out for the foreseeable future. We’re planning a wedding for the fall of 2023 and we’re watching the market to see if we can grab a single family home in our budget just outside the city (Salem – even closer to the beach!). If we do, we’ll be moving out of the condo, so I don’t want to make any big changes. If we do move, I’ll look at getting a bigger tank. I’ve been eyeballing spaces in the houses we’ve looked at so far. But either way, the plan for now is to keep my fish/inverts happy and healthy and continue to grow out my coral. Of course, I expect that I’ll continue to see and learn new things.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has dropped in to share some advice, feedback, a kind word, or just throw me a “like.” I really appreciate all of the feedback. Here are some one year old tank shots (and a video):

8-1-reef-living room.jpg

8-4-reef-front.jpg

8-4-reef-kitchen.jpg

8-4-reef-acans.jpg

8-1-reef-slimer.jpg

8-4-reef-frogspawn.jpg

8-4-reef-digitata.jpg

8-4-trumpets.jpg

8-4-milli.jpg

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy 1st Birthday to my reef! One year ago today I put water in the tank and it’s been wet ever since.

It’s been a pretty wild reintroduction to reefing after over 5 years out of the hobby. And while I’m not new to reefing, this tank marked a lot of firsts for me (which I’ll go over below). And while my experience has largely been positive, there have been ups and downs which I’ll get into below as well.

Fist off, here’s a before and after photo. Day 1 vs. today:

Then:
tank day 1.jpeg

Now:
8-4-reef-now.jpg

Firsts! Some things that were new to me this go around:
  • This is my first “small” nano (my prior smallest was nearly twice as big at 26 gallons)
  • This is my first “rimless” tank
  • I’ve got my first pair of “designer” clowns
  • I also have my first pistol/goby pair
  • This is my first time using seawater I collect myself rather than a salt mix
The Bad. It wasn’t all good, here are some of the lowlights from year 1:
  • Ich - The single worst experience I had with this tank was a deadly ich outbreak last fall, and it was entirely my fault. I impulse bought an orchid dottyback in November from a source I didn’t know very well and I dropped it in the tank. Eventually, all three fish (including my blenny and clown) were symptomatic. I did not have a QT ready to go, so I had another reefer do it for me. The blenny (my favorite fish) died within days. The dottyback also didn’t make it. The clown is healthy and lives with the guy who quarantined it. But this event had me questioning whether or not I want to leave the hobby again.
  • Parameter swings - These tiny tanks can swing rapidly. I lost two acros after a salinity swing (forgot to plug my ATO in after a water change).
  • Space - I love my EVO, but man is it small! There’s not a ton of space in the display and rear chambers are even tinier. I know this is stating the obvious and I knew it was small when I started, but running it as a peninsula (and having to keep the aquascape away from the glass on 3 sides) makes it feel even smaller.
  • Planning - In my first post I said, “Eventually, I plan on upgrading the light and growing some SPS. But… baby steps.” I wish I had focused more on those baby steps. I pieced together a patchwork collection of live rock which I don’t regret. But I do with I had planned my aquascape a bit more and I wish I had planned it for SPS on top. I’ve done fine with winging it, but I still get jealous of the tanks with the really nice, thought out aquascapes.
  • Collecting seawater – It’s COLD here in the winter and collecting 5 gallons from the jetty at the beach could range from chilly to downright treacherous. I expected this, but it did involve several days of walking down, looking at the rough surf or snow/ice covered rocks and “noping” right out of there. I only missed one week of water changes though.
The Good. Ok, now for the highlights:
  • Natural Sea Water! – It’s been better than expected. A lot, actually. Between the live rock and the seawater, there was no cycle (literally never tested ammonia in this tank). And between the bacteria and the little microorganisms in the water, water change day is like a feeding frenzy for the coral which extends polyps rather than contracts when I’m adding the new water. I’ve also had minimal algae issues – some slight hair algae early on which went away quickly as well as a brief bit of cyano. But the bacterial diversity has largely been beneficial in my opinion. It’s nice not worrying about screwing up the salinity since it’s 1.024 by default. Finally, it’s also been cheaper. I have not bought salt mix.
  • Inverts – One of the perks of the small tank is that you can see the small stuff more. I’ve never bothered with sexy shrimp, pom pom crabs, pistol shrimp, etc. in bigger tanks because you never see them. But I seem my tiny inverts all the time and in many ways, they’re the stars of the show.
  • Upgradeability – I’ve never had a tank before that has so many custom-made components. Between lids, media baskets, nozzles, plugs, lifts, etc. there are a ton of off the shelf upgrades you can do with this tank.
  • Pest busters – maybe it’s because the tank is so small, but I actually have been able to see my bumblebee snails munch on vermatids and watch my peppermint shrimp pick at aiptasia. One year in and I haven’t seen an aiptasia anemone in months and the vermatid population is on the decline. It does take months, however.
  • Coral growth – Most of my coral is growing exceptionally well. Some of the SPS is growing slower than I’d like and one hammer is sort of stagnant. But I’ve only had a couple of corals not make it and I’ve had some surprise me with how well they are doing.
  • Collecting seawater – Yeah, this is on both lists. The cold wasn’t fun, but collecting has given me an excuse to get out to the beach at least once every week. I’ve really enjoyed that. I had the beach to myself from about November through April, and now I’m a little salty about sharing in the warmer months!
What’s next? Honestly, not much. Maybe a clam (I've saved a spot for a Crocea), but I've never kept one before and I'm nervous about it. But apart from that, it'll be most growing out for the foreseeable future. We’re planning a wedding for the fall of 2023 and we’re watching the market to see if we can grab a single family home in our budget just outside the city (Salem – even closer to the beach!). If we do, we’ll be moving out of the condo, so I don’t want to make any big changes. If we do move, I’ll look at getting a bigger tank. I’ve been eyeballing spaces in the houses we’ve looked at so far. But either way, the plan for now is to keep my fish/inverts happy and healthy and continue to grow out my coral. Of course, I expect that I’ll continue to see and learn new things.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has dropped in to share some advice, feedback, a kind word, or just throw me a “like.” I really appreciate all of the feedback. Here are some one year old tank shots (and a video):

8-1-reef-living room.jpg

8-4-reef-front.jpg

8-4-reef-kitchen.jpg

8-4-reef-acans.jpg

8-1-reef-slimer.jpg

8-4-reef-frogspawn.jpg

8-4-reef-digitata.jpg

8-4-trumpets.jpg

8-4-milli.jpg

Great read with lots of info! Thanks for sharing and I love your photos.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like most my posts are a bit extra. At least yours was on topic for the forum.
Seriously though, your tank is awesome! I love seeing and reading about it.
Hey, I love your meme/GIF game - one of these days I'll be quick enough to start using some in your thread. But thank you!

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between this forum, the local reefing club, and some of the reefing Facebook groups, I occasionally get questions about using natural seawater. Specifically, what's the process for collecting it and getting it "tank ready." Well, rather than type it out, I created a video the process from start to finish. Here it is:

After it heats up to temperature, I just siphon old water out and add the new water in. As you can see, it's super complicated.

A couple of FAQs:

Do you filter or treat the water?
I pull out large bits of seaweed and I bring a net to put the occasional shrimp or small fish back in the water. But other than that, I don't do anything to it.

Have you caught any interesting hitchikers?
Not really, no. I often get some small glass shrimp and the occasional tiny fish. But I always do a quick check while I'm on the rocks and toss anything back in the water. The last half of August and the first half of September is actually an interesting time in this part of the country. South-facing beaches in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are good hunting grounds for tropical hitchikers that get caught up in the Gulfstream. Years ago (probably about 15) I caught a gorgeous, tiny cowfish in Westport, MA that I gave to a small aquarium in Newport, RI. The New England Aquarium sends divers every year to rescue what they can and these are the fish that populate their Caribbean exhibit. I'm unlikely to get any of these hitchikers at my beach (which faces East and is north of Cape Cod)., but I'm still hopeful that I might get lucky.

Are you worried about contaminants or parasites?
I'm definitely not worried getting about parasites from natural seawater. It's infinitely more likely that something nasty is going to come in via a traded or purchased frag or livestock from the fish store. On the other hand, I do worry a bit about pollutants. I collect on an incoming tide (about 2 hours before high tide) so that most of the water is coming from offshore. I also avoid collecting after a heavy rain when there could be runoff. I follow the municipal water testing results, and I do quarterly ICP tests. So far though, no issues.

Next up, I'll share my skincare routine ;)

Water Collection.jpg

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week's update is a bit of a mixed bag. Starting with the bad, two of my favorite acros appear to be bleaching. My PC Rainbow and my Red Planet have gradually lost a good deal of their color and both look as if there's some STN going on (particularly on the PC Rainbow).
bleaching Red Planet.jpg

(Red Planet)

bleaching PC Rainbow.jpg

(PC Rainbow)

Key parameters (alk, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, salinity, ph, nitrate) have been rock solid for months. The only big factor is that I did increase my lighting intensity over the course of a few months. I don't have a ton of hope for these two (though they are among the hardiest acropora) and I'm inching towards fragging the Red Planet), but I'm lowering the intensity in hopes of preventing further damage. I also sent out an ICP test to see if there's anything I can't test for that's not right.

On the plus side, the Green Slimer is trucking along in terms of growth (this month on the left, last month on the right):
green slimer growth august 2022.jpg

And finally, I don't think I've ever actually shared photos of my Orange Storm clowns. They've been in the tank since the start of April. I got them from my favorite LFS (Blue Light Aquatics - they quarantine in house and get these direct from Sea and Reef) and they were about 3/4 of an inch long. Their names are Franks (the larger one in the second pic) and Beans (the smaller one, first pic). Over the past 5 months, Franks has established herself as the dominant and grown significantly larger than beans, but thankfully the submission process hasn't been too fraught. Beans sometimes gets confused and thinks his partner is the tailspot blenny, so that's fun. But overall, I'm very happy with this pair.
Beans1.jpg

Franks.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back